RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2017, 10:04 PM   #1

Procedure for replacing slide-out motor bracket

We have an appointment in July to have the twisted broken kitchen slide-out motor bracket replaced on our 2015 DS and since some welding will undoubtedly be taking place I have some concerns.

Besides wondering what the welding sparks will do inside the compartment my main concern is will they have all electrical appliances either disconnected or the batteries/shore power disconnected? We will be traveling to the dealership and camping in the area so will have supplies in the frig so am wondering how long it might be unplugged.

Anyone been through this ordeal, and if so, can you comment on what happened with coach electrical current to appliances?

I plan on discussing this with the dealer's techs and service manager but always feel kind of like the response we get from some of our politicians, just tell the suckers what they want to hear.

wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2017, 07:07 AM   #2

I think all your concerns are valid, and would be quite surprised if the techs did not take the proper precautions.

dhlairbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:21 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Had ours completed at NIRVC in Lewisville, Tx. It was an all day job, but with batteries off and no genset power it did not hurt anything in our refrigerators as we did not open the doors during this 6 hours. They lay fire blankets down and even vacuum after completing job. Batteries off, inverter off, grind metal for a solid welding ground!
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 03:26 PM   #4

If concerned abour fridge freezer staying cold
Freeze some milk jugs ahead of time and place them in fridge & freezer during the work...and don't open doors.
Experienced shop should have blankets to protect cargo bay...just remove contents.
Be sure they disconnect batty neg terminals.
Shop should make a good ground as close to are being welded as possible.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
If concerned abour fridge freezer staying cold
Freeze some milk jugs ahead of time and place them in fridge & freezer during the work...and don't open doors.
Experienced shop should have blankets to protect cargo bay...just remove contents.
Be sure they disconnect batty neg terminals.
Shop should make a good ground as close to are being welded as possible.
Good advice on the frozen milk jugs. Being sure they disconnect battery neg terminals and ground as close as possible to spot being welded is definitely my concern but knowing that I won't be allowed in the shop stall where the work is being done and being able to watch isn't much peace of mind. I have a fight with the Freightliner shop every time I'm in there by insisting i stay in the coach (especially since most of the time FL techs have no idea how motor home items work and I sure don't want one of them screwing up something).
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide