Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2018, 09:09 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Project: Hard-Piping Sewer Dump Line to Exterior

Just sharing my latest project underway at this time in the form of hard-piping my Therford Sanicon dump line to the exterior/underside of my coach.

I am in the process of hard-piping the line to the exterior underside of my coach due in part to prior crimping / breakage of the 1-1/2" OD dump hose which resulted in pinhole leaks and requirement to replace it. This mod will also enable me to conveniently extend the length of the dump hose by adding additional hose section when needed via use of the cam-lever couplings.

For whatever reason (yet to be explained by Newmar), my coach was supplied with a 1-1/2" wide channel opening on the outward face of the wet bay basement door apparently intended as a profile to provide space for the Sanicon hose to exit the bay while allowing the bay door to be closed. When doing so, I found that the profile was too narrow and often resulted in pinching, thus breaking, the hose requiring me to replace it. As well, my coach was not supplied with a sewer compartment access hatch in the drip pan/sub-floor for routing either a conventional 3" sewer hose nor the 1-1/2" Sanicon hose out and under the coach.

A work in progress i'm now awaiting delivery of special ordered PVC fittings and clamp/hangers to connect a clear section of hose to (between Sanicon drain outlet and new Valterra slip gate valve) as well as some strap/clamps I plan to use to secure the piping and cam lever coupler in place. Completion of this project will include making up a separate/spare section of the 1-1/2" Sanicon hose with male/female Cam Lever connections that will permit me to add an additional length up to 21ft when needed.

Noteworthy of adding, the Sanicon hose is normally "wet" (retains some fluid likely due to a small amount of bypass) so adding the slip gate valve downstream of it is intended to allow my connecting the dump hose by means of the cam-lever coupling without coming into contact with the waste water.

Meanwhile, here are a few photos of this project....for anyone interested in such.

Wet Bay - indicating layout of new hard line and slip gate valve
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4336.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	253.3 KB
ID:	189273
Close up of 1-1/2" OD piping and position of new Valtetta slip gate valve

Name:	IMG_4334.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	189274
OEM profile which was found to be too narrow to accept the Thetford Sanicon 1-1/2" ID flex coil dump hose (resulting in crimping/breaking when the wet bay door was closed during use).

Name:	IMG_4333.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	189276
Exit Point; Banjo 1-1/2" ABS Cam-Lok (will used male blank plug to close off when not in use)

Name:	IMG_4337.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	189275
Banjo 1-1/2" Cam Lever Coupling

Name:   Part-D.png
Views: 610
Size:  43.6 KB
Banjo 1-1/2" Coupling Plug
Attached Images

NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2018, 09:31 AM   #2

Nicely done!
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:20 AM   #3

Sanicon

Please post pics when complete. Looks like a good plan.
Thanks
Webz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 11:54 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't see a rubber gasket inside the Cam-Loc fitting.

I had this happen to me one time at work, made quite the mess before getting the pump shutdown.
Aegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 01:06 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
I don't see a rubber gasket inside the Cam-Loc fitting.

I had this happen to me one time at work, made quite the mess before getting the pump shutdown.
It may not appear so but the gasket is installed. I made sure and in fact ordered spare gaskets for future need along with it.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:33 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Aegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 01:58 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
DIY project completed.

Indication of position for fixed Banjo 1-1/2" cam lever female adaptor exit point beneath coach body. Note: secured with clamps for additional stability

Name:	IMG_4339.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	261.3 KB
ID:	189977
Use of Valterra 1-1/2" slip gate valve with spiral clear view hose

Name:	IMG_4341.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	189978
Banjo F cam lever with M plug installed

Name:	IMG_4349.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	189979
Side angle view of piping and 3" OD sealed penetration through drip pan and basement

Name:	IMG_4361.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	189980

Additional Sanicon hose added and now fitted with cam lever couplers on both ends to allow for lengthening discharge distance when necessary.

Job Cost: <$100 (excluding purchase/cost of 2nd 21' Thetford Sanicon dump hose.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:33 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
After doing the above project of hard piping my Thetford Sanicon sewer discharge line I determined there just wasn't enough light provided my the small 12v dome light mounted on the wall surface to the left of the compartment so, having had some left over sections of LED lighting strip from my recent DIY installation of Under Glow surround lighting, I made use of a 3 ft section which I mounted on a pc. of 3/4" angle aluminum extrusion and tied it into the existing dome light. Wow, what a difference a little light makes. Now I thinking I need to do the same in the forward generator slide compartment, rear engine compartment and the chassis electrical basement compartment at the LF of the coach. The principle being one can never have too much light when its needed.

Name:	IMG_4394.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	190231