Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2011, 08:12 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Propane BBQ set up

Just aquired a 2005 Dutchstar 4011. Want to set up for easy hook up of BBQ and camp-fire-in-a-can. Thought I'd found the answer with the Marshall extend a flow but then realised the propane tank is on the drivers side so it doesn't make sense to do it there.
Can anyone share where and how on the passenger/awning side I can insert fittings easily with easy access without cutting into gas lines or cumbersome feeding of lines from the other side?
David
chapdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2011, 09:59 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
my water heater is out back on the pass side
so i tapped into the lp under the floor that feeds the w/h then ran a new iron pipe down and added a quick connect for the bbq and a valve to tie into my home LARGE lp tank when we are homebound

its not a newmar but the fittings dont seem to mind
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	large lp2.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	10529   Click image for larger version

Name:	lp hook up3.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	10530  

Name:	lp hook up4.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	10531   Click image for larger version

Name:	lp hook up9.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	10532  

Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:04 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
a few more pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bbqqq2.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	10533   Click image for larger version

Name:	lp hook up6.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	10534  

Name:	BBQ on slides12.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	10535  
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:04 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Wow!

That's considrably more than I'm comfortable tackling although it does look slick.

What I was hoping for was to be able to remove a screw fitting (like at the tank) and insert a "T" which would accomodate a 10-16' rubber gas hose extension as needed either to my BBQ on the picnic table or to my Camp-fire-in-a-can 10'+ feet away from the Rig.

I could do that fairly easily on the Driver's/propane side of the rig but don't want to have to feed a hose under/through to the other side where the BBQ/camp fire would be. Was hoping for an easy place to add the "T" on the awning/living side.

Sounds like its not so easy.

David

'05 Dutch Star 4011
Old 05-28-2011, 11:21 PM   #5

The answer may be running across the top of you basement. I don't know your floor plan , but the propane piping for your fridge/stove may be right inside your curb side compartment doors attached to the underside of the floor. In my coach the black pipeing changes to copper tubing and it was a matter of a T fitting and a Quick Disconnect from my local RV parts store and test for leaks. Only disadvantage is , compartment door is ajar when system is in use.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:59 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Pressure

Keep in mind that if your grill has a pressure regulator, then you need to attach your hose before your propane regulator. Gas going thru 2 regulators equals not enough flow.
alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:45 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks Guys. Both are good points I will keep in mind as I check out my situation more carefully. My Fridge too is on the correct side I want to have a stub out located. As I recall the pressure regulator at the tank would not be as easy to tap into before as it would after the regulator but I'll take a look. I'm OK with having the hatch open while in use. Had kind of been resigned to that already.
David

'05 Dutch Star 4011
Old 05-29-2011, 10:58 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
We're hoping that when we're able to get our new Coach that we can tap in also, so much handier than carrying around an extra tank for the BBQ.

Trap
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:09 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Exactly,
We are going on our inaugural shake down next weekend after attending air brake class this weekend and hopefully passing our test tomorrow here in BC.

We'll be on an extra tank in the mean time.

Turns out our new BBQ has finer threads than the bigger threads of (our) latest 5 gallon propane tanks so we have other issues to overcome as well.

All part of the Adventure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps90 View Post
We're hoping that when we're able to get our new Coach that we can tap in also, so much handier than carrying around an extra tank for the BBQ.

Trap

'05 Dutch Star 4011
Old 05-29-2011, 08:21 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapdog View Post
Just aquired a 2005 Dutchstar 4011. Want to set up for easy hook up of BBQ and camp-fire-in-a-can. Thought I'd found the answer with the Marshall extend a flow but then realised the propane tank is on the drivers side so it doesn't make sense to do it there.
Can anyone share where and how on the passenger/awning side I can insert fittings easily with easy access without cutting into gas lines or cumbersome feeding of lines from the other side?
David
You might look at the below link. There are a few good pictures of an install.

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Plumbing into propane line to feed grill on 5ver
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:42 PM   #11

Chapdog, The most important things that my instructor told me about the ICBC Air brake test were #1. Take your time, there is no bonus for doing the test quickly. #2. Read all the answers, then re-read the question, your answer has to be the most correct answer. #3. Don't be affraid to skip a question your not sure of, you only need 20 of 25 to pass the test, and although the skiped question will be re-asked at some time during the test, it's not scored as a wrong answer until you give a wrong answer or skip it a third time. Once you have 20 correct answers you pass and the computor shuts the test down.
Good luck and safe travels . Skip426. Powell River
Old 05-30-2011, 01:52 PM   #12

Back to the BBQ issue. there should be only two types of bottle hook up threads on a BBQ sold in Canada, and a bottle sold in Canada should handle both; the internal reverse thread and the external coarse thread. Can you post a picture ?? Skip
Old 05-30-2011, 02:15 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Seriously!?
I hadn't thought of that. You are probably right. I just haven't looked.
Thanks Skip!

Passed the Air Brake test this AM. You are right about that too. I missed my first one mostly from not reading it well enough and then I buckled down and re-read even the ones I was sure of. Ended up only missing one more before finishing at 20 of 22.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Back to the BBQ issue. there should be only two types of bottle hook up threads on a BBQ sold in Canada, and a bottle sold in Canada should handle both; the internal reverse thread and the external coarse thread. Can you post a picture ?? Skip

'05 Dutch Star 4011
Old 05-30-2011, 02:17 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
We'll be taking her out for my first (legal) spin tonight!
Yeah Baby.

'05 Dutch Star 4011