Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2018, 09:30 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4KMA View Post
How much fuel do these burn? Pounds per hour, etc.?
Their ad states 58000 btu. A gallon of propane has 91000 btu, so about 1 1/2 hr per gallon. Not very efficient
joshuajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2018, 10:41 AM   #16
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
When I get around to it, I'll look for a way to store a propane tank in a vented area. Possibly in the front generator bay area...
If the tank vents in a baggage container, and you smell it inside, the next light or relay click can be a kaboom.
Granted a tank venting is rare. But there is a definite reason that no factory propane tank is in a sealed box. Certainly because there are always some leaks when filling.

Quick Google: https://stainfastmarine.com/stainles...-installation/

This summer I was running my 60 foot man lift (gas / propane dual fuel) to clean the house windows and noticed one of the recently filled propane tanks (a week or so earlier) was venting significantly. Got me a little nervous to get down from height, as the engine was running (on gas) a couple feet above from the venting tank. I got down, shut the engine off and ran away for an hour till it was all done. Still don't know why it vented. I suspect a bad valve...but realized that it does happen in the real world. That tank hasn't been on the machine since. Needs a reinspection for sure.
This is exactly my concern...and, will be my approach; finding a vented space in which I can carry a 2.5 gallon portable tank.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:22 PM   #17
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thank you Neal! I bought the brass caps for the two 1 lb cylinders I carry for my grill. Doesn't sound like a 1 lb cylinder would last long on the firepit. As much as I want the propane firepit, I just can't see putting a 2.5 gal tank in my basement. Front area storage would be nice, but sounds like a bomb also if you hit something.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:39 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have the same fire pit & carry a 20 LB portable tank in our middle basement bay. Have traveled 20,000+ miles with no issues. We do have the same ring as Neal showed around tank. We love the fire pit as a lot of campgrounds seem to not allow wood fires & it’s also easier not having to put out hot fire at night.
Previous: 2010 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
fsudelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:50 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptw View Post
Thank you Neal! I bought the brass caps for the two 1 lb cylinders I carry for my grill. Doesn't sound like a 1 lb cylinder would last long on the firepit. As much as I want the propane firepit, I just can't see putting a 2.5 gal tank in my basement. Front area storage would be nice, but sounds like a bomb also if you hit something.
For whatever reason, I didn't have much luck using the 1 lb cylinders with my firepit. It just didn't work. I've been taking my 20# tank with us for the firepit and it works out just fine. I do plan on running an on-board line from the propane tank to the right side of the coach where I can connect for my Q1200 or the firepit. I just haven't done it yet.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:55 PM   #20

Can you use the low pressure port on the RVs propane?
jrpend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:31 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think it can be done either way. If using low pressure then you don’t use a regulator on the device.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:29 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptw View Post
Any thoughts on storage of the propane? The only thing keeping me from buying one.
Going to an all electric coach and liking our Firepit and Grill I purchased 2 4lbs tanks so I always have a replacement on hand. Both fit nicely in compartment on drivers side rear. Since the Ventana has a rear radiator, not sure what to do for DS and up
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 06:35 PM   #23

Outland firebowl to MH propane tank

Has anyone safely and successfully hooked this to your onboard propane tank? Only very sketchy modifications videos come up when trying to search the topic.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:26 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple H View Post
Has anyone safely and successfully hooked this to your onboard propane tank? Only very sketchy modifications videos come up when trying to search the topic.
There are hose kits for the purpose. They typically are plumbed like:

Tank > shutoff valve > existing low pressure regulator > New T > New long flexible hose > shut off valve > quick connect > fire pit / or stove / or grill (or all)
Old 11-16-2018, 05:29 AM   #25

I plumbed a line into our Baystar from the onboard tank to the curbside for connection to a grill or fire pit,...just before I traded the coach in.

Camping World had the kit.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:47 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
There are hose kits for the purpose. They typically are plumbed like:

Tank > shutoff valve > existing low pressure regulator > New T > New long flexible hose > shut off valve > quick connect > fire pit / or stove / or grill (or all)
When we ordered our Canyon Star we had a quick connect put on the door side, mostly for the grill. It was done just like Dav L's
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:52 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
When we ordered our Canyon Star we had a quick connect put on the door side, mostly for the grill. It was done just like Dav L's
So - it was a low pressure line to the door side, and you hooked the grill to it without a regulator?
jt
Old 11-17-2018, 11:18 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
So - it was a low pressure line to the door side, and you hooked the grill to it without a regulator?
jt
Both are possible.
Here is a YouTube that gives some tutorial on the tank side of the install. This is a high pressure side. The advantage here is you can also use the new T to feed propane INTO the system (external tank for extended stay).

Just know that you have to have a regulator (one) inbetween the tank and the burning device.

Tags
fire, propane