Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2018, 04:07 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Thumbs up Propane Fire Pit - Outland Firebowl

Thanks to ARD for the recommendation on this! Nice fire pit that puts off some great BTU's!

Outland Firebowl 870 Premium Outdoor Portable Propane Gas Fire Pit with Cover & Carry Kit (Amazon)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fire-pit.png
Views:	323
Size:	211.0 KB
ID:	225563  
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2018, 04:45 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
We really enjoy ours as well. Some campgrounds will allow this type of fire but not a wood campfire.
superman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 04:55 PM   #3

We have one as well. It actually puts out a lot of heat. Easier than carrying wood and lot's of places don't allow real fires anyway. Sips the propane too. Plus, we love you can just turn it off when you're ready to hit the sack. Sucks misjudging when you put that last piece of wood on the fire and it burns way longer than you wanted it to.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:07 PM   #4

Bought one a couple years ago at the Tampa show. Actually quit carrying it around for lack of use and the space it and a propane tank takes. Used at home now when it gets a little chilly.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:22 AM   #5
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Any thoughts on storage of the propane? The only thing keeping me from buying one.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:08 AM   #6

Spartan Chassis
Paul, I place my propane tank in a milk crate and store it in one of the slide out bays. The milk crate keeps it from rolling around. In this picture I turned it upside down and put the fire pit on it so it would be easier to reach to roast marshmallows.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	087C9DAA-E493-411C-9EF2-1EC2B4037CDB.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	476.2 KB
ID:	225596  
BodieJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:45 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptw View Post
Any thoughts on storage of the propane? The only thing keeping me from buying one.
The fire pit I linked comes with a stabilizer ring for propane tanks. Before getting this fire pit I bought a 11 pound (2.5 gal I think) propane tank for my general grilling use. I always kept it in the forward side of the forward passenger side bay, never had an issue with it just sitting there. It's never moved. I put the new stabilizer ring under it now that I have one for added measure not that it was ever necessary. I may bring a long a full size tank when I have the fire pit along, I have to see what the consumption rate is, however, I also know it's super easy to get propane refills at most CG's so I will probably wait and see. The 11 lb tank lasts plenty long for me, months, if not a year. I bought a dozen 1 lb tanks probably from Amazon when I started RVing so I still have those left and sometimes take those esp if going to VA beach where I have to go across the bay bridge tunnel.

Long story longer - carrying the tank is a non issue to me.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:25 AM   #8

How much fuel do these burn? Pounds per hour, etc.?
W4KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:59 AM   #9

I bought one of these as well, I put a longer line on it and hook to the onboard propane. Makes it nice and easy and I don't have to carry a external tank.
MY99SVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:10 AM   #10

Since we have an all electric coach I had to carry a portable tank with ours. I used a Viking composite tank for light weight. Just laid the tank in the pull out tray wedged in place with the other things in the tray. Never had an issue with it moving.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:44 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Here is a pic for size perspective when stowed.

Name:	IMG_1141.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	436.4 KB
ID:	225614
Old 11-11-2018, 08:59 AM   #12

Not worried about the possibility that the propane tank vents in an unvented compartment?
Old 11-11-2018, 09:15 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Not worried about the possibility that the propane tank vents in an unvented compartment?
No. Most of us carry propane in one form or another for grilling, etc. If it vented I think you would smell it.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:23 AM   #14

When I get around to it, I'll look for a way to store a propane tank in a vented area. Possibly in the front generator bay area...
If the tank vents in a baggage container, and you smell it inside, the next light or relay click can be a kaboom.
Granted a tank venting is rare. But there is a definite reason that no factory propane tank is in a sealed box. Certainly because there are always some leaks when filling.

Quick Google: https://stainfastmarine.com/stainles...-installation/

This summer I was running my 60 foot man lift (gas / propane dual fuel) to clean the house windows and noticed one of the recently filled propane tanks (a week or so earlier) was venting significantly. Got me a little nervous to get down from height, as the engine was running (on gas) a couple feet above from the venting tank. I got down, shut the engine off and ran away for an hour till it was all done. Still don't know why it vented. I suspect a bad valve...but realized that it does happen in the real world. That tank hasn't been on the machine since. Needs a reinspection for sure.

Tags
fire, propane