RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2020, 06:56 AM   #1

Propane heater on 20 amp service

Can you run the propane heater on 20 amp service nothing else is on getting down to 32 tonight for about 4 hours and worry about things freezing
lands is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2020, 07:13 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Yes
Chief Alen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 09:05 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No real need to worry about 32 degF for 4 hours. If you have 20 amp service and worried about freeze ups, put a small electric heater in the RV set on low and open the cabinet doors.

Ken
Old 10-17-2020, 09:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
No real need to worry about 32 degF for 4 hours. If you have 20 amp service and worried about freeze ups, put a small electric heater in the RV set on low and open the cabinet doors.

Ken
I use a small electric radiator type heater, and it has three wattages settings in addition to a thermostat control. The lowest wattage (about 600 watts if I recall correctly) is sufficient most the time. I would suggest a heater than has variable wattages since RV wiring isn't the best and there can be other draws.

It's also useful for nighttime camping when you have power because unlike the propane furnace or many electric heaters it doesn't make noise!
Goodspike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 10:29 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lands View Post
Can you run the propane heater on 20 amp service nothing else is on getting down to 32 tonight for about 4 hours and worry about things freezing
First off - yes, you can run the heater on 20 amp service. You should even be able to run it for some time on battery power. Secondly, 32 degrees should provide no threat to your coach even without heat. The water bay is well insulated. Additionally, if you run your furnace, there is a heat duct that exits into your water bay to keep it well above freezing at outside temperatures well below 32. Happy Winter camping! Looking forward to Spring.
Bushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 10:40 AM   #6

It takes a hard freeze to break something, so just a few hours precisely at 32F isnít going to do anything. Iíd be surprised if much slush develops, and more so in an insulated wet bay.

As to the 20A, assuming your batteries are already topped up and the charger isnít going to draw high current (like mine will, with LiFePO4 battery, if I donít set the inlet power appropriately) while the furnace is also running, I canít imagine there being a problem.
Old 10-17-2020, 12:01 PM   #7

I picked up an indoor/outdoor thermometer at Ace Hardware for about $20. I put some Velcro on the outdoor sender and the side of the water tank. It wirelessly sends the basement temp every 60 seconds and will review the hi and low in the last 24 hours.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 12:39 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Propane heater on 20 amp service

Nothing substantial will freeze at 32 (unless maybe it stays at 32 for 2-3 days!). My experience with marginal freezing in my coach is that it takes about 4 hrs at 28* to block my water, and thatís usually a small blockage inside a coupling. Takes a fair bit more to freeze a hose solid. Youíre fine.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 05:21 AM   #9

As Chief Alen indicated, the answer to the actual question posed by the OP is "yes". You can run your propane furnace on 20 amp power.
Nashville, TN or Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, propane, service