Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2008, 05:33 PM   #15

on the weber there is a regulator and seperate gas flow valve....I dont think the Coleman is like that...I believe it's a one piece assembly...regulator and gas valve, so that would only work on high pressure....there were many different brass fittings that my brother in law put together....finished product works perfectly...if you get past the valve regulator issue, perhaps a local propane fitter can get you the rest of the way
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2008, 05:43 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by footdoc:
on the weber there is a regulator and seperate gas flow valve....I dont think the Coleman is like that...I believe it's a one piece assembly...regulator and gas valve, so that would only work on high pressure....there were many different brass fittings that my brother in law put together....finished product works perfectly...if you get past the valve regulator issue, perhaps a local propane fitter can get you the rest of the way </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm. The valves for the burners are not part of the regulator. The reg attaches to an inlet pipe on the side of the unit. I guess if I could find a fitting to match that inlet pipe I could make it work. I'll need to take a photo of that fitting and post it.

joe
Old 07-28-2008, 06:04 PM   #17

photex: Here's another option to extend your big propane tank to use other appliances. I tapped into the high-side at the propane tank using a tee and elbow ending with an LPG quick-connect fitting which has a built-in manual safety valve – a very important feature in my mind. I then had a 40foot propane hose made up and installed quick connect fittings on it as well. The hose also begins with an anti-backflow valve so that when you disconnect from the tank it doesn't shoot gas everywhere, the valve slowly bleeds out in a few minutes so the hose is then safe to store in the basement. I then throw the hose under the coach to power my picnic! Note that all parts are officially propane certified. Since I might use a variety of appliances, I did this on the high-side for simplicity (no regulator removal issues or trying to figure out and match high-pressure (red dome) vs low-pressure (not red dome) regulators). No problem to tap high-side, just shut off the main tank valve and all the parts fit within the existing metal protector shield. Remember the fitting into this main valve is a leftie! Note the additional Y-hose I made to run two appliances at the same time. I then put quick connect fittings on all my propane appliances adapting them into the existing regulators as required. Quick and easy and nothing tapped inside the basement - for leak/safety reasons. Photos follow. All quick connects and adapter fittings available under the Mr. Heater brand at Camping World and a variety of other sources. Look online for all the nifty adapters Mr. Heater makes. You might need to order some. All of this is very DIY. Use plenty of Teflon tape to seal the threads; the pipe dope does not seem to work very well.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:44 AM   #18

footdoc and RVDude, these are both excellent solutions. I am definitely going to implement one of these systems. No more loose propane bottles! Thanks.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:02 PM   #19

How did you go about hooking Weber grill to main Propane tank? I had a hose made up but it needs a shut off valve to stop the flow from tank to grill.

2008 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
JOC1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 04:19 PM   #20

I would add a shutoff valve BEFORE the rubber hose addition. See the photo above of the quick connect with a valve I used at the main tank (or add it at the black iron low pressure like footdoc). I would NOT use only a valve at the end of the rubber hose only. Safety safety safety please.

Mr. Heater makes the quick connect fittings I used and although these quick connects cut the flow when disconnected, Mr. Heater does make a version that ALSO has the shut-off valve as well (see my main tank photo above). Shut off valve is the little lever.

You might also consider adding an anti-backflow valve to stop the rapid spewing of gas when the rubber hose is disconnected. I set mine to bleed off the gas in the hose slowly. In pics above the anti-backflow is the large-ish item with the quick connect nipple coming out of it in the main tank photos.

Whether you connect to the high-side at the tank like I did or the low-side off the black iron pipe like footdoc, the rubber hose setup and connecting to the propane appliance (sans regulators in low pressure setup) should be relatively the same.

Note: If you connect to low pressure line, you will NOT be able to use high pressure (red top regulator) appliances.

This whole regulator and appliance shutoff/control problem is why I chose to leave the appliances completely intact and tap off the high pressure side - the appliance just thinks and works like it's on a normal propane bottle.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:53 PM   #21

Installed a simple shut off valve just before the quick disconnect....also have another shut off valve at the other end where it connects to the factory iron pipe, just in case the hose becomes a problem
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:05 PM   #22

Thank you both great stuff !

05 Newmar Mountain Aire 4304
BigRigRVing is offline   Reply With Quote