Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2008, 04:51 PM   #1

I just filled my tank for the first time since new delivery..the gauge showed less that 1/2 tank left...took a total of 10 gallons!! Not too bad for 2 yrs...I'll be using it more now as I have connected my Weber grill to that tank....much better than the 1 pound throwaways....
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2008, 04:51 PM   #2

I just filled my tank for the first time since new delivery..the gauge showed less that 1/2 tank left...took a total of 10 gallons!! Not too bad for 2 yrs...I'll be using it more now as I have connected my Weber grill to that tank....much better than the 1 pound throwaways....
Old 07-23-2008, 06:42 PM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by footdoc:
I just filled my tank for the first time since new delivery..the gauge showed less that 1/2 tank left...took a total of 10 gallons!! Not too bad for 2 yrs...I'll be using it more now as I have connected my Weber grill to that tank....much better than the 1 pound throwaways.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Larry,
I traded my 2006 4304 MADP with 22000 Miles and still had 3/4 tank of propane. With the hydro-hot the only propane needed is the fridg and what ever cooking you might do. That was why I went to the all electric coach.
Daryl
Old 07-26-2008, 08:50 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I enjoy the same longevity. I filled my LP tank up once two years ago, and my panel shows that I still have half a tank. Worried that I might be getting a false reading, I crawled under the coach to check the analog gauge at the tank. It read just under a half tank, so my panel indicator is pretty close.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 10:56 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Try running the furnace. You will hear the propane leaving the tank so fast you'll be looking for the mobile propane service. Maybe it is just my furnace, but when it kicks in, propane use is like water going over Niagra Falls.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 11:14 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Try running the furnace. You will hear the propane leaving the tank so fast you'll be looking for the mobile propane service. Maybe it is just my furnace, but when it kicks in, propane use is like water going over Niagra Falls </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Gary, are you sure your slide seals are tight? It made a big big difference in mine after I replaced the seals under the slides and made sure all the little openings were filled.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 12:09 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

We picked up our 42QRP about 22 months ago. Now we have around 23K on the odometer. The dealer filled up the propane tank and my SeeLevel shows it at 80%. As of now it's down to 75%. The only thing running on LP is the cooktop and we use that quite a bit. The residential fridge saves a fair amount of LP but the hydronic heat really makes a serious dent into propane usage. At this rate I figure the Bus will be 20 years old and still have some of the original propane still left in it's tank.

One thing I don't want to know is how many gallons of diesel fuel I ran through the tank after 20 years of driving
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 03:14 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Jim,
I've put the slide seals on my list of maintenance items for this Winter. For those reading this, living in South Florida, I do all my maintenance in the winter.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 05:39 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GaryKD:
Try running the furnace. You will hear the propane leaving the tank so fast you'll be looking for the mobile propane service. Maybe it is just my furnace, but when it kicks in, propane use is like water going over Niagra Falls. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Gary,

Which furnace do you have installed? Both of my furnaces are used regularly and they seem to be very frugal with the LP.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 06:59 AM   #10

We also use the furnace guite a bit(many days dry camping) with minimal propane consuption. However we have filled up probably 5 times over the past two years(many days dry camping-frig, furnace, countertop burners, water heater, grill).
Old 07-28-2008, 02:56 PM   #11

Larry, would you mind explaining how you hooked up your propane grill to your coach's propane tank? I am sick of lugging around bottles of propane when I've got a great whoppin' big tank of propane already. One problem I see, though, is that it's on the driver's side. How did you overcome that problem? Thanks.

And by the way, my propane tank finally got down to the 1/4 mark after 1.5 years of use. (But I've got a hydro-hot system.)
Old 07-28-2008, 03:16 PM   #12
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Go to RVUPGRADES and search on Extend A Flow.

There are 2 different types.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 04:10 PM   #13

Hi Bill....
I wanted my connection to be in the bay just before the RR wheel...so after trying to figger out how to get from the tank behind the LF wheel to there, I looked in the bay and found a black iron pipe overhead with a transition fitting to a rubber hose going up into the kitchen cooktop...at that point I Tee d off and had AirGas make me some hoses...one is about 6 feet long with a quick disconnect and shutoff valve going from the T to the edge of the bay...the other is a 15 foot long hose with a quick disconnect going from the bay hose to the grill....this is LOW pressure so I removed my regulator from my Weber Q100...works great ...no more throw aways for me!!
Old 07-28-2008, 05:07 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by footdoc:
Hi Bill....
I wanted my connection to be in the bay just before the RR wheel...so after trying to figger out how to get from the tank behind the LF wheel to there, I looked in the bay and found a black iron pipe overhead with a transition fitting to a rubber hose going up into the kitchen cooktop...at that point I Tee d off and had AirGas make me some hoses...one is about 6 feet long with a quick disconnect and shutoff valve going from the T to the edge of the bay...the other is a 15 foot long hose with a quick disconnect going from the bay hose to the grill....this is LOW pressure so I removed my regulator from my Weber Q100...works great ...no more throw aways for me!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We've got a Coleman Roadtrip, but I think it's essentially the same as the Q100. The regulator is built into the pipe that connects into the grill. And I have a low pressure LP line in the right side compartment that would be for the fridge, if mine wasn't electirc.

So two questions for you - how did you remove the regulator, and what did you specify for the custom hoses?

joe