Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2019, 08:40 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
I mostly use mine to wake driving zombies, but never never ever to scare a road crew.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2019, 09:09 AM   #16

Air horn

When the wife was taking her DL road test, the administrator was checking the lights and the horn. He was standing close to the coach and wanted her to check the horn. It did startle him. Come to find out this was his first time administering a class B test. I'll bet he won't stand so close next time.
As far as blowing the horn at people at work, I don't see the need for it. JMHO
Webz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:18 AM   #17
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
One of the few, but big, disappointments with the new MADP are the air horns. They are mounted inside the front cap and pointed down toward the ground. As a result, they are not nearly as effective as the ones on the old Ventana LE that were mounted on the roof and pointed forward. Now, those were air horns! Still, the ones in the MADP will get your attention. As others have said, I use them mostly to wake up inattentive (polite term) drivers.

My favorite episode was a few years back in the Ventana LE. A "sweet young thing" driving a fancy little sports car whizzed by on the left and cut sharply in front of us; then dropped her speed well below ours. I had to apply the brakes to keep from hitting her.

"Buzz and Beulah" (yeah, our air horns have names) spoke up in a VERY LOUD VOICE! Her head snapped around and that little sports car lept forward, then lurched off the roadway and onto the shoulder. Last seen in the rear camera, it was parked. I think the "sweet young thing" was probably changing "unmentionables."

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:21 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When my DW is in the bedroom, and I need cabin service I sound the air horns. Always brings her up to see what is going on, and then I can place my order.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:24 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
When my DW is in the bedroom, and I need cabin service I sound the air horns. Always brings her up to see what is going on, and then I can place my order.
Now thats FUNNY..........
Old 01-12-2019, 09:26 AM   #20
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Now thats FUNNY..........
Yep!

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:29 AM   #21

American Coach Owners Club
Please never use them to prank a worker in a work zone. If I had my way flagging traffic for a day in a busy work zone would be a requirement to get a drivers license. If you think it’s funny, try it for a day. I personally have worked on construction projects (3 so far)where workers have been killed by stupid drivers. My reaction when safely working in a construction zone and hear a horn blasting is bail out of the trailer. It’s not funny.
mhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:35 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have air horns on my DP and have used them to warn a driver who was encroaching on my lane while they were playing with their phone and again when at a stop light and they weren't moving BUT NEVER in an attempt to scare someone or to have a laugh. This is serious business and we RVers need to set the standard for the inconsiderate around us.

One of the worst individuals I've met is a DP owner who had his air horns programmed to play 'On the Road Again' every time he was pulling out of the CG. Personally I could have rung his neck after the second time. After 4 days, with him moving every day so his horns would roar the CG owner laid the law done - stop or leave, NOW!!!! We did enjoy the peace and quiet but he sure was a grump the rest of his stay.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:36 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I would love TRAIN air horns for when I arrive/depart Camp Newmar
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:40 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I really want train horns located near the entry door steps, on a dedicated switch.

I would get plenty of use from them with cars that like to camp in that particular blind spot for miles on end.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:42 AM   #25

Forest River Owners Club
First time we took the g-kids on a long trip, 2 yr old granddaughter would climb into the driver seat everytime I got out. Then at a truck stop while refueling under a canopy she leaned across the steering wheel and laid on the air horn. I jumped a little, but the trucker next to me nearly jumped out of his shoes ... and it definitely startled the granddaughter too! She still got up in the seat after than, but did not lay on the steering wheel...
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:58 AM   #26

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Having been a worker along the freeway and a flagger I can tell you it's not fun let alone when some idiot lays on the horn.
I now cover my steering wheel when parked after one of my cats set the horn off at 0 dark thirty in a campground.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:12 AM   #27

I can see the 2 year olds reaction in my mind. That thing is best left alone. :-O

Not long after getting home with the "new to us" Monaco our 50 year old son was sitting in the drivers seat while we were talking. He seemed infatuated with the thing and would give a couple of blasts every 5 or so minutes. I'm not sure what the people in the neighborhood thought, but after a while the infatuation wore off and I was glad.

I seldom use the horn unless it is to warn someone for a safety reason. I had to chuckle about twinboats "under the hood horn" comment. It sounded like something from a memory that would like to be forgotten. I've experienced it a few times myself, and it is a bit disconcerting.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:13 AM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
Only proper use of air horns is when passing a golf course.
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air