RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2017, 07:09 PM   #1
WTB

Pros and Cons 2005 Newmar Kountry Star 3909

Considering purchasing a 2005 Newmar Kountry Star 3909 for full time. Can anyone give me the pros and cons of this year and model? Anyone have experience using one for full time RV'ing?

WTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2017, 07:57 PM   #2
WTB

Well judging by the lack of comments I'm assuming this is not a very worthy RV to consider so I'll be crossing it off my list.

WTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:26 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have an 06 3910. Great coach. I've replaced the floors, Tv's, entertainment system. I had the engine ECM reflashed to increase the HP and torque. Love the coach for it's living space, ride and driveability. Newmar is on of the best built coaches out there.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:00 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtbbjb View Post
Well judging by the lack of comments I'm assuming this is not a very worthy RV to consider so I'll be crossing it off my list.
Now hang on there just a dadgum minute, hoss.

It looks like the primary difference between the 3909 and our 3910 is the bathroom configuration.

We don't full time, but we do spend about 5 months of the year on the road. It serves our purpose well. We could full time in it easily. There is a member here, GaryKd, who full times in a 3910. You may want to reach out to him as well.

As far as our coach, we have had exceptionally good luck with it in terms of reliability. We love our coach.

One of the cons for me is how difficult it can be to get into the storage compartments with the slides out. It can be tough on an old man to get down that low and reach into those spaces. Other than that, I have nothing negative to say about this coach. Newmar makes a good product and if you do your preventive maintenance, it will serve you well.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:54 AM   #5

Had mine for two years. No major issues. Will replace the carpet and one sofa/bed so we can install two recliners. Love the ride and mechanical dependability.
oldduke07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:37 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Not everybody monitors the boards every day and immediately responds - some people are out enjoying their RVs!

Suggest you use the search tools on this Board and search for that year, model, and floor plan and see what owners you see listed as posting, and then read through their prior posts. You should quickly get a sense whether there's any consistent "issues" that different owners mention. It would also give you a few names you could PM directly, although you may not get an immediate response there either (see my first comment above).

Above all, good luck in your search!
Old 04-12-2017, 07:24 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
Now hang on there just a dadgum minute, hoss.

It looks like the primary difference between the 3909 and our 3910 is the bathroom configuration.

We don't full time, but we do spend about 5 months of the year on the road. It serves our purpose well. We could full time in it easily. There is a member here, GaryKd, who full times in a 3910. You may want to reach out to him as well.

As far as our coach, we have had exceptionally good luck with it in terms of reliability. We love our coach.

One of the cons for me is how difficult it can be to get into the storage compartments with the slides out. It can be tough on an old man to get down that low and reach into those spaces. Other than that, I have nothing negative to say about this coach. Newmar makes a good product and if you do your preventive maintenance, it will serve you well.
X2 on the access to basement with slides out but not sure you will find much better access to storage on RVs built in 2005.
Your KS3909 is on a Spartan chassis so you may want to have ball joints inspected. There was a problem with the protective boots on ball joints deteriorating prematurely 2004-2005 I believe.
We installed new carpet in our 3907. Everything else in great shape and well built in my opinion. We love it.

Cheers
CoachC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:33 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Considering purchasing a 2005 Newmar Kountry Star 3909 for full time. Can anyone give me the pros and cons of this year and model? Anyone have experience using one for full time RV'ing?
You could be passing up a very good coach if it was well maintained. We searched for nearly 2 years before we bought ours. Looked at many different brands and floor plans. We were zeroing in on Dutch Stars until we came across this Kountry Star. You most likely would need to look at Dutch Stars a couple years older in the same price range. Top quality for entry level diesel pusher.

Best of luck with your search and safe travels.

Cheers
CoachC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:55 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I would suggest the primary thing to do is sit down in the coach and pretend you are unable to get out for several days.

Does the coach fit your needs:
can you both relax without getting in each others way?
can one watch the game and the other watch a movie?
is there sufficient counter space?
is there sufficient storage?
are the chairs comfortable?
can you watch tv without cranking your neck?
is the stereo what you want or will you have to replace it?
can you lay out a hobby for a few days without having to take it down?

We found we wanted:
a residential fridge
stacked washer dryer
king size bed
large shower
aqua hot heating
three A/C
comfortable high back couch
table and chairs
all electric

I suggest you go to a dealers and go through all of their coaches picking out features of each that you need, want or would like to have. From that list find the coach that most nearly meets all of your needs.

I know this does not really answer your question. Newmar makes a good quality coach according to many who own one. Based on the frequency of complaints on the forum and the number of coaches they make (failure rate) I believe they manufacture a good coach that is about on a par with most other manufacturers.

If you are considering a used coach make sure (to the extent possible) that everything works and the mechanical system is well maintained. Maintenance records, coach condition, supplemented by an inspection by a qualified mechanic and rv tech to make sure you are not buying someone else's problems.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:47 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
On thing I forgot to mention was that Cummins had a recall on certain 350 ISL engines in that genre with piston wrist pin failures. It was within certain serial numbered engines. Easy to check. Search this site and you'll find a lot of info on this subject. As far as the ball joints my coach is affected with that issue but i keep fresh grease in them constantly and watch for play. I agree with USMCRET (SEMPER FI) about the basement access with the slides out. It's a pain for sure but that's the nature of the beast. I love my 06 3910 Kountry Star. We live in ours 5 months out of the year.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 01:25 PM   #11

We have a 2007 3622 Kountry Star and are very comfortable with the dog and cat along. The Spartan chassis is top notch along with the Newmar name you can't go wrong if everything checks out. Look at maint and lube records. There are ~32 lube fittings and they do go overlooked.
jternau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:16 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If your still interested in a Newmar check this link to find every thing about it that you should know about, follow instructions.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:51 AM   #13

I just bought a 2005 KSDP 3908 on March 2nd in Florida. Had 45K on it. It had been sitting for a few years. I just drove it home to PA and put 1100 flawless miles on it. I like the machine.
Thundrr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:05 PM   #14

You can't go wrong with a Kountry Star. A great Spartan chassis, with a little less interior bling than the Dutchstar.

Tags
newmar