Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2021, 08:49 PM   #1

Pros & Cons of storing with/without power?

Pros & Cons of storing with/without power?

After six months in Florida, I just brought our coach back to the Indianapolis area. While in Florida, we keep our rig in covered storage but it was without power the entire stored time this year due to landlord building refurbishment and re-wiring all electric. Now we did use it every 4 or so weeks (for several days to more than a week at a time). Always on Resort 50a service while using it. But I’m not gonna lie, I never expected to be storing my coach a month or more at a time without power. First couple of months I nearly wigged out over it, but I methodically shut everything down, and lastly killed both chassis and house battery master switches. Made sure everything was off, even unplugged the microwave. My selling dealer assured me coach would be fine for a month if I did all these things. Sure as tootin, every time I came back to Florida , I had 12.5 to 12.6 V on all batteries. Parasitic draw appears to be negligible. For reference, house batteries are 8 - 6v flooded Interstates, less than a year old. Chassis batteries are 6 yo original Freightliner SLAs. Coach is at my home this week on 120v-20a house current and bus has always done fine on 50/30 or house current. Our coach has a Magnum 2800 watt inverter and a TRC 35550 hardwired surge protector, with a 128sec delay. 50/30/20 Shore power has worked inverter/charger without fail (except for one mis-wired pedestal issue).

So here is the question. I have indoor storage here in Indiana as well, with 120v 20A service. After reading of people’s woes of storing plugged in on 120 15/20a service ( or not), I’m very tempted to continue my Florida shut down habits and not leave it plugged in 7x24. Coach will continue to get run & used every 3-4 weeks here as well. I am no electrical wizard, but I do store 5-6 cars and 6 motorcycles and I am anal about battery maintenance. All stored seasonal vehicles go on battery tenders on the 15nth and 30th each month but just overnight. Then off the chargers. I’ve gotten 10-15 yrs outta some vehicle batteries by NOT leaving them on float charges 7x24-365.

So what are the pros and cons folks ? Anyone else storing successfully without shore power ? Or should I just plug the rig in and and not worry about it?

Any and all input welcome. Thanks.

2015 Dutch Star 4369, Freightliner, 450 hp
clawsonbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2021, 06:06 AM   #2

My preferred method is different than most but it has worked perfectly for me.
I cant see running a high capacity inverter / charger 24/7/365... just seems like overkill and many have issues plugging MH into GFCI outlets..

My storage has 20A GFCI power available and they normally charge extra for power. When I started there I told the mgmt I only wanted to run a maintainer or two (fra tin of A @ 120V) and they agreed no charge.
I mounted an outdoor receptacle in the engine bay with an e tension cord attached. I plug in a 2A maintainer for chassis battys. Also ran 120V extension cord along rails to fwd house batty compartment. Mounted a BatteryMinder 2-4-8 A maintainer in the adjacent compartment (clean and no batty fumes) with 12V wires to my house bank of 8 6V GC AGMs (was FLA before I refurbed compartment & slide and upgraded to AGM)I installed the permanent mount ring terminal (instead of alligator clips) and can just pull the plug on the 12V line if I want it disconnected.
I shut down everything, activate house & chassis disconnect switches. Plug in one extension cord and done.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:35 AM   #3

Personally if power is available I would always plug it in. I keep mine stored in my shop plugged into 50 amp. If I did not have a shop, I would pay for covered or indoor storage with power. We spend a lot on these coaches. A few dollars a month can save a lot of dollars down the road.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:21 AM   #4

I’m in the use power group. No way in a high humidity area I would not run a dehumidifier. I can always smell the difference when going in rigs that don’t use them. Do what works for you but the cost to use the electric is very low. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Old 05-06-2021, 09:27 AM   #5

I leave mine plugged into 50 amp in my storage shed which is heated & air conditioned. I've never had a problem with 3 coaches going back 22 years!

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:30 AM   #6
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
I can’t think of any pros to storing a coach long-term without power. You may get away with it for a while, but it will shorten the life of the batteries in the long run.

Even with shutting down all power draws, batteries still lose their charge over time. They do much better being maintained, either by keeping the coach plugged in or by using an auxiliary “battery maintainer.” Either way, you are plugged in to shore power and keeping them charged.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 11:10 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No need for power

I've had our rig stored for 12 years (we go out every 4 to 6 weeks). My Trickle-Start keeps the chassis battery charged while we're camping. Both my disconnect switches kill all loads while stored. Batteries have lasted 5 to 6 years (would probably be more with some exercise but we're always in rv parks). My thoughts are that I'm leary of some electrical issue causing a fire if one of my neighbors does something wrong or there's a malfunction someplace. Just my 2 cents...

Tags
power