Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2019, 06:29 PM   #1

Protect Hot Water Line to Generator

Even if you'll have the heat in the coach on, the hot water line to the generator is exposed to the elements ... I'm about to have some 25-degree weather, so I needed to clear out that line to protect it -- so I naturally made a video

https://youtu.be/XDRd8pFmUlk
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2019, 07:43 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Perhaps this is covered in your vid (I’ll have to watch it later), but how is that hot water line used? What is its utility to the MH owner?
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 08:35 AM   #3
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Windshield washing and front-cap bug removal during temporary stops.

The procedure shown in the video seems needlessly complex, however, just to clear that line. My coach has a shut-off valve in the forward cargo bay that I close and then use the drain valve at the faucet to drain the unheated portion of the line, Opening the faucet breaks any vacuum and allow for a complete drain. We have used that procedure successfully at our Montana place with overnight temps in the teens.

Now, if you want to completely blow out the coach water system for unheated storage, then follow the video steps.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
Windshield washing and front-cap bug removal during temporary stops.

The procedure shown in the video seems needlessly complex, however, just to clear that line. My coach has a shut-off valve in the forward cargo bay that I close and then use the drain valve at the faucet to drain the unheated portion of the line, Opening the faucet breaks any vacuum and allow for a complete drain. We have used that procedure successfully at our Montana place with overnight temps in the teens.

Now, if you want to completely blow out the coach water system for unheated storage, then follow the video steps.

TJ

For me I don’t seem to have a shut off (and many others don’t either). Regardless, isn’t the line uphill from the bay? I’m not sure how it could fully drain ...?
Old 10-29-2019, 10:31 AM   #5
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinergi View Post
For me I don’t seem to have a shut off (and many others don’t either). Regardless, isn’t the line uphill from the bay? I’m not sure how it could fully drain ...?
Mine is not; yours may be. On our MADP, the PEX line runs alongside the frame rail and the valve is in the forward, driver-side cargo bay.

With the 1/2" PEX, it would be an easy task to install a shut-off valve. I had to do that on the additional cold water line I had run up to the front. Newmar Parts had the valve in stock at a pretty reasonable cost. I already had the PEX cinch clamp crimping tool and clamps. It was a five-minute job to cut the PEX line, insert the shut-off valve and crimp the clamps.

TJ
Old 10-29-2019, 04:38 PM   #6

Thanks Neil. I can't find the cut-off valve on the gen area line on my NA. However, I don't have any water pressure at the spigot in front, so it must be there and be closed? I am going to get the Nappanee or NIRVC folks to help with that.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:15 PM   #7
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHoop View Post
Thanks Neil. I can't find the cut-off valve on the gen area line on my NA. However, I don't have any water pressure at the spigot in front, so it must be there and be closed? I am going to get the Nappanee or NIRVC folks to help with that.
I do hope someone on this thread is "Neil." Otherwise, NealC might think you have confused one of us here with him! Naw...he couldn't get that lucky.

TJ
Old 10-29-2019, 06:01 PM   #8

Oops
Old 10-29-2019, 06:07 PM   #9
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
No worries!

TJ
Old 10-29-2019, 06:19 PM   #10

i remember some posts from NA owners that didn't have the shut off installed....

i too have the shut off on the line, inside the last bay closest to the battery compartment....shut that off, and then open the valve and the drain valve under the valve, and the vacuum breaks and the line totally evacuates....

i think some NA's from 2018 never got the shut off....
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:19 PM   #11
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
When we ordered our coach, we "specialed" a cold water line to be run to the generator compartment, alongside the optional hot water line. When I couldn't find a shut-off valve in the cold water line, I called Newmar and asked where it was. I was asked "did you ask for a shut-off valve?" Well, not specifically, but since Newmar installs one in the optional hot water line, I just assumed they would do the same for the cold water line. Silly me!

Sometimes, Newmar's logic is a little fuzzy!

TJ
Old 10-29-2019, 07:24 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Adding a shutoff valve is very easy. I added a T and another valve in order to full drain my gen hot water line. I could never get it to fully siphon.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:54 PM   #13
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Tranquil Jim, you will now be know as NealC’s evil twin 🤣.

Disclaimer: no current, future, mythical or other possible poster was meant to be denigrated or besmirched during the generation of the post.

Love ya Jim. Moving on.
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 06:11 PM   #14

Two updates ...

1) This does not work if you don't have a cutoff. I found water near my spigot today.

2) You can achieve the same thing by turning off your water, opening the low-point cold water drain (wet bay), and opening the valves by the generator. Water will naturally evacuate. Then you can cut off the line (wet bay), close your low point drain, and turn your water back on.

I opened up the wall and ceiling to search for a buried cutoff -- I simply do not have one. I'll have to add my own...

Tags
generator, water