RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2012, 06:57 AM   #1

Proud New Owners With Questions!! Electric What Charges What First

We asked what people thought of the Newmar Grand Star 3752 FRED on this Newmar owners forum, and got glowing reviews so we are now proud owners of one. Would be interested to hear back from any other Grand Star owners just to stay in touch...IRV2 was very helpful when we owned our gas Winnebago Sightseer and I look forward to participating on the Newmar owners forum!!

Right now I do have one question about what charges what and I think I'll make a little chart to remember.

Meaning, of these 3 power sources which one charges what?

1) Engine alternator: ___engine batteries? ___house batteries?
2) Generator ___engine batteries? ___house batteries?
3) Solar panel ___engine batteries? ___house batteries?

Thanks!!

Curt

OOPS...I see I need to change my footer notes

MoonchaserTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2012, 09:40 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome Curt & Susan to the Newmar family.
Congrats on your new Grand Star many safe travels.
The charging system is controlled by the BIRD System.
If your coach is plugged into a 110 outlet the house batteries will be charged and when they are fully charged than the chassis battery will be charged.
The alternator will work in the opposite direction charging chassis battery than house batteries.
My Gen starts from the house batteries they may have changed your model coach you can disconnect the house battery ground and see if Gen starts.
The 12" square solar panel keeps the chassis battery charged for parasitic loads LP Detector,ecm,tcm,steps, radio.
When coach in storage I have a LP Detector switch in display tank level area to shut off as not to drain chassis battery which it feeds off.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Engine: If your system has an INTELLEGENT Isolator charges it's own battery first, then the house. If not they both charge together

HOUSE on shore power: If you have a bi-directional charging system see above, again the house converter will charge it's own system first, then the other. If it does not have a bi-directional system. Then it charges only the house.
Most new coaches have bi-directional systems.

Generator: Same as shore power. In fact the charger is the very same one.