RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2015, 10:24 AM   #1

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Pulling batteries

After refilling the 3rd battery in my house battery rack every 6 days (even when batteries are not in use or charging).... I have figured out that it must be leaking and needs to be replaced. My question is: are there any special steps for removing the house batteries?? I will take pictures of the wiring and tag the contact points where the wires should be reconnected....... turn off all electrical control panel switches .... and get a young man to lift out the batteries (lol)).... Am I missing something?

RussM311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2015, 10:36 AM   #2

You are right about a young helper.
Are you planning on replacing all four? Batteries should always be replaced in sets.
Judging from the age of your coach, I find it strange that you would have a battery issue already. Do you have any idea what caused the problem? Suggest you investigate and find the root cause so you're not having to do this again in the near future. With proper charge rate and maintenance, these batteries should last for 8-10 years without fail.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:17 AM   #3

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Thanks for the reply....
Not sure what I will find once I lift them out.... but have the idea that the battery has a crack in the casing. Being fairly new batteries, I am hoping to not have to replace all of them. :-(( but...if I must, I must.
Interstate Battery says that since they are all fairly new, I should be able to replace just the one.... Hmmmmm???? not sure about this one
RussM311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 11:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussM311 View Post
Thanks for the reply....
Not sure what I will find once I lift them out.... but have the idea that the battery has a crack in the casing. Being fairly new batteries, I am hoping to not have to replace all of them. :-(( but...if I must, I must.
Interstate Battery says that since they are all fairly new, I should be able to replace just the one.... Hmmmmm???? not sure about this one
Good point. Did they offer to test the other three?
Food for thought, back when I replaced my batteries I had a mess in the carrier from corrosion. After cleaning everything, I decided to buy four plastic battery boxes (cheapest I could find) and cut them down to about 3" in height to prevent a recurrence of the corrosion issue.
Then, I decided to do the mineral oil trick putting 4 oz per cell. Well, the corrosion problem is gone and I only add water about every 4-5 months.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	277.2 KB
ID:	107537  
Old 09-21-2015, 02:41 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Hi Dennis - my 2005 DS has the batteries mounted the other way around. Seems like yours would leak terribly like that - even fall out onto the ground.

I agree, if a battery has a leak and you are refilling that often, you should have quite a mess sitting on the ground under them. Yes, lots of photos and notes. If you replace the batteries, be careful to get similar "style" replacements. Sometimes moving the posts an inch or two can force you into buying different length jumper cables.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:04 PM   #6

So do you have to pull fuses for slides
kvm1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 03:12 PM   #7

QUESTION????
What is the "Mineral Oil trick"????
Regards,
JimB

Always looking for things that make Rving easier and better.
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 03:19 PM   #8

Would recommend to buy your batteries before you start so that you can replace them in the least amount of time. Will have less chance for problems. Use tie wraps to keep each post cables together so they don't get mixed up.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:03 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wires connected to the batteries run to one of two places.. Another battery or Somewhere else.

Using red nail polish or tape or split loom or spray paint (Testors is good) mark all the wire or wires connected to the POSITIVE post that run off to who cares where (not another battery)

Likewise (optional) Black on the negative wires.

If more than one wire so run remove netative (After paint dries) and by any means (String, bread tie) tie them together so you do not loose one..

THEN do the same on the red end.

That's all I can advise beyond what you already plan (Photograph)
Old 09-21-2015, 11:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDISCOVERY View Post
QUESTION????
What is the "Mineral Oil trick"????
Regards,
JimB

Always looking for things that make Rving easier and better.

You can do a search for this in this forum or google but basically 4oz of mineral oil (yes, the same stuff you can buy at any pharmacy used as a laxative) into each cell of your 6V wet cell batteries.
Do Not draw off any Electrolyte to add the oil. Simply wait until the level has gone down and add the oil and top off with distilled water.
The mineral oil provides a barrier to the air and reduces the amount of water loss during the charging process. Of course the charge rate must not exceed 13.7 - 13.8 VDC.
Assemble the connections using a Dielectric Grease to prevent air coming in contact with the open connections.
Check the Electrolyte levels every 6-8 weeks and you will find you may only have to add Distilled Water every 3-4 months or even less and your battery connections will stay clean along with the battery compartment.
There are various opinions on this subject but I can tell you from my experience, it does reduce your battery maintenance. My current set of house batteries are approaching 6 years old and perform as good as the day they were installed. I see no reason they should not last another 3-4 years. My coach is either traveling or it is plugged into shore power so the batteries are always fully charged.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFNM View Post
Hi Dennis - my 2005 DS has the batteries mounted the other way around. Seems like yours would leak terribly like that - even fall out onto the ground.

I agree, if a battery has a leak and you are refilling that often, you should have quite a mess sitting on the ground under them. Yes, lots of photos and notes. If you replace the batteries, be careful to get similar "style" replacements. Sometimes moving the posts an inch or two can force you into buying different length jumper cables.

Yah, I had a hard time keeping them filled until I realized that Apple has their own version of which is right side up. In the real world, they are right side up, just not in the world of Apple.... 😡
Old 09-21-2015, 11:43 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In 2004 I did the mineral oil "trick" to our 2002 Dutch Star's Interstate U-2200's. They lasted another 8 years with no problems and after that long the battery tray and hold downs were in far better shape then those in our 2000 DSDP after two years without the mineral oil.
Just bought 5 bottles of mineral oil at Wal*Mart last week for our four new wet cell 8D 12 volt batteries. Just waiting for the level to drop enough to add the oil.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 02:34 PM   #13

Some times you can use a mirror to inspect the back of the batteries. Depends on how much clearance you have.

JohnHenry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries