Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2010, 03:49 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pulling out generator

My MH, 2004 Scottsdale has a 6500 Generac generator. I need to change spark plugs. It appears that I may have to slide out generator in order to change the spark plugs. Can I do this or is it too heavy for one person?
What is the procedure for removing the generator to change the plugs?
Thanks ..................
TXredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If your going to pull Gen you will need help. I don't see way you need to my 55 the sparks are on face of Gen looking at it.
Pull up this PDF and go to pages #58 & 59 you will see what I mean.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:09 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
"007",

I wish that my genny spark plugs where on the front. I went back out and checked location of the plugs. They are on the side, the right side I can get to.
But the left side is located so that I only have about 1/8" clearance between plug wire and generator side. It appears to get the generator side off, I may need to pull out the generator. They sure did not make it easy.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:10 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If this is it I see what you mean!!!
Is there a vent panel on bottom of Gen you can remove and reach up and get it out.
If you have room maybe just remove three mountings and pivot it out so you can reach behind blindly and change.
If not may just have to take out half way and reach over the top just have a high box outside to place half on, they sure didn't make it easy.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 04:02 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
"007",

Yes, that picture looks close to it but a little different. I may have to loosen bolts from frame and slide out partly. It weighs about 350 lbs. Maybe I could enlist a neighbor's help. I called Generac and they told me that I may take off top and then the side panel. But I don't know if I could ge to the panel screws. It is in their very tight. I also called a local dealer and they said they would have to see it. If they had to pull generator, I could be looking at about $400 just to change the plugs. I still think I could do it myself.
Thanks ..................
Old 07-11-2010, 04:36 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
I don't know how your generator is installed but on two of my previous motor homes the generator could be lowered or "dropped". I used a motor cycle (or tansmission) jack to lower mine so I could work on it. If it is a slide in then good luck and get a big strong neighbor!
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 04:37 PM   #7

Pulling out generator

TXredfish - welcome to the world of RV repair!! - some of those installations can be a real PITA to service- if you can try using a spark plug socket with a hex head end (automotive type) so that you can get a wrench on it- if this isn't possible then try a thin walled 3/8 drive socket and use a 1/4 inch drive socket set with an adapter from 1/4 inch drive to 3/8 drive and a flex joint - this will give you extra clearance - if this will not work either and you have to pull the genset consider putting two holes in the outer sheet metal shroud on both sides so that you can get to the plugs without removing anything - you can plug up these holes with rubber plugs - I have done this on a couple of generators in service vehicles - if you can do this it will also prevent cross threading the plug into the cylinder head when its difficult to get at.
RV Mech Tech is offline   Reply With Quote