Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2016, 04:37 AM   #1

Question puzzled about Electric outlets---

I just purchased a 2016 Baystar and am puzzled about the electric outlets in the coach. When I am on shore power or the generator is operating, I have power at the outlets in the bedroom and on the driver side in the galley. No electric when I am off shore power or the gen set is n to operating. Other coaches I have owned did not have this problem. So question is---is this just inherent in the Baystar or is there a production problem????
Jimbo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2016, 04:58 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
When you're not on shore power or generator then you will need an inverter to supply the A/C voltage. Does your new coach have an inverter?
rvfoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 05:00 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
And if it has an inverter, does the inverter power all of the outlets, or just some of them?
Old 08-30-2016, 06:09 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I assume you have some kind of inverter otherwise no outlets would be powered without an AC source of some type. Newmar does not normally wire all outlets to the inverter, to get that you'd have to install an aftermarket inverter like we've done.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 06:25 AM   #5

I've found on our 2014 Bay Star the outlets by the TV's are inverter powered. I can not use a heater appliance at these locations because the circuit breaker will trip. Why doesn't Newmar tell us this?
Bay Star34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 06:25 AM   #6

Without shore or gen power, most of your AC sockets will not work. You most likely do have an inverter for your Bay Star but it is likely wired into a few sockets. Check the cabinet where all controls for awning, slides are and see if you have an switch to turn on the inverter. If you have one, turn it on, then check which outlets have power.

On my Bay Star Sport an inverter was option and only hooked to the outlets that provide power to the tv's.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 06:27 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
This is what the brochure shows;

OPTIONS
1000 Watt Inverter Ran to TVs (Not Available with Option 6J655)

okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 06:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Star34 View Post
I've found on our 2014 Bay Star the outlets by the TV's are inverter powered. I can not use a heater appliance at these locations because the circuit breaker will trip. Why doesn't Newmar tell us this?
Check the information about the inverter, it's probably 1000 watt or less inverter. A 1500 watt appliance will trip a breaker for sure. You would not want to run a heater on the inverter as it would drain your two coach batteries really quickly.

When I bought my 2016 BSS the inverter was an option and only wired for the tv or entertainment plugs.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 06:51 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
BayStar34 welcome to the forum and irv2.
Below in my signature you will find links to many others for your Newmar in QT's # 3 there is a Bay Star section with some answers to BS coaches.
Enjoy the forum and safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:09 AM   #10

The stock inverter in our 2903 baystar sport only powered the TV's (front and rear) and one outlet up next to the passenger seat (for a laptop while driving I'd guess) and nothing else. At 1000 watts or less (it might have been 600) I'm not surprised. We are now upgrading it to a 2000watt pure-sine so that we can run a few more things if needed (mainly the coffee maker in the morning). But as other's have said it'll drain the batteries more quickly. For heat when not running gen or connected the furnace works great. If you boondock a lot consider replacing the factory batteries with AGM's for a nearly double the capacity.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:45 PM   #11

On my 2014 Baystar 3103 the tv outlet and an outlet at the passenger seat are on the inverter. The inverter must be selected on the control panel to power these outlets when not on gen or shore power.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:24 AM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
The kind of appliance you can use on inverter is a function of # of batteries and inverter size. No, DO NOT try to run any kind of resistance heat appliance on ANY number of batteries...( possible exception=King Aire with 16! ...But only for a short time..) The only way to get more power (amps) is to add more batteries and/or increase battery size/capacity. Of course, that may require an increase in inverter capacity as well. And no....converting to agm's WILL NOT increase capacity unless you increase physical size which may have more amp-hrs. ALL the 6 volt deep cycle batteries will give you about 200-220 A-H, be they conventional wet cell OR agm. Some have converted to the larger Lifelines, providing 300 A-H each pair. But that requires a bit more height availability in the battery compartment.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
And if it has an inverter, does the inverter power all of the outlets, or just some of them?
Podivin
Normally the inverter only powers "some" if the receplacles.
(It may power only one, or it may power many, depending upon how the coach builder wired the 120VAC electrical system in the RV).

In my coach, as wired by SMC, (Safari Motor Coaches, Inc.), the Heart Freedom 20, (2000 watt), inverter powers 11 of the 17 120VAC receptacles.
A second 400 watt after market/added inverter powers the electronic components, (satellite receiver, DVR, etc.), in my entertainment center.... and the front TV set.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:50 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks Mel.
That would have been my guess, but since mine doesn't have an inverter I wasn't sure.

Tags
led