Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2020, 05:48 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quest for a Chipmunk entrance (little buggers)

Hi all,
Who hasn’t had issues with mice or other pest. So this time around it is chipmunks. We have a 2017 Ventana LE 3709 diesel and I have been under the coach, looked around engine and looked near generator, checked all bays and electric chord for points of entry and yet the masters of illusions show no significant points of entry. I found where they were hanging out near the fresh water tank and from there a couple points that they could follow into the coach. They ventured into our rear bath, under our sofa, a few kitchen drawers and left a treat or two under the kitchen sink. But I don’t see how they get in to begin with.

So my question is, has anyone found points of entry into their coach for mice or chipmunks that may give me something to check?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
CP
blackhawkscp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2020, 06:07 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Is the coach plugged in? Have you blocked the cord entrance with something? There is room for critters to get around the cord if just the rubber grommet is used; like a ramp up into the coach.

Water and sewer are similar.

- Richard
RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 06:15 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RandDescape , I have not used anything other than the rubber grommet that surrounds the Electric chord entrance to the coach. It looked like it was tight enough, but it makes sense they would use the ramp. I didn’t see any droppings in that area, but I will add some steel wool tomorrow.
Thanks!
Old 02-26-2020, 07:59 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawkscp View Post
RandDescape , I have not used anything other than the rubber grommet that surrounds the Electric chord entrance to the coach. It looked like it was tight enough, but it makes sense they would use the ramp. I didn’t see any droppings in that area, but I will add some steel wool tomorrow.
Thanks!
There was a thread back at the end of 2019 on this and there were recommendations to use bronze wool instead of steel wool so that you don't get rust.

I also installed one of these critter guards: RV Critter Guard. It took about 10min to install and adds about 1min to the setup time when camping - but it does totally eliminate the space around the sewer connection if you put it around a clear 3" extension. I wish it was that easy for the other utilities.

Of course it would be nice if these utility bays were 100% sealed from the rest of the RV so that any critter the gets into the wet / electric bay is stuck there and wanders back out. I'd have paid extra for that option.

Good luck

- Richard
Old 02-26-2020, 08:23 PM   #5

Theodore and Simon apologize, but Alvin is holding out...
Old 02-26-2020, 08:27 PM   #6

I understand chipmunks, red squirrels, and mice do NOT like peppermint oil.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 06:43 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
Theodore and Simon apologize, but Alvin is holding out...
I found Simon’s glasses and he is not getting them back. Alvin is now on the hit list.
Old 02-27-2020, 06:49 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Nitehawk,
I had peppermint in bays and inside coach, also fresh cab and Irish Spring soap. They came in anyway. By the way they ate a bunch of the soap. Ate 1/2 of one bar, 3/4 of another and more. Some of the worst areas for where they ate nuts were where the soap was located. At least they have good smelling breath.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:26 AM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I would give the electronic devices a chance. I had an occasional field mouse in my garage and one that was nesting in the propane bay of my 2014 DS. I added a two level electronic deterrent in both the garage and one plugged into an outlet in the pass through bay. Since then, no issues.

I did return home from a trip where I believe that a rat got into something I loaded into the coach bay. Once I realized it, I checked the bays and saw the rat, he was standing there like he was in a daze....it was really weird. I wacked him and that was it, he didn't even seem to want to move. Maybe the electronic device was making him crazy.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 03:52 PM   #10

They can squeeze through amazingly tight spaces, especially mice. My first class A was a 1999 Fleetwood Bounder. I had a horrible mouse problem fom the start and worked diligently to close up every open space I could find...which on that unit was MANY. To find them all I turned on all the bay lights and climbed under it at night. It looked like a Christmas tree under the unit. Even after doing all that, I was still getting one now and then. I went on the search and found that the rubber seal around the firewall, while very tight, would allow me to force one finger through. I used caulk and went all the way around that seal. Never had another mouse inside. To think they would literally force themselves through that seal amazed me.

On my power cord, I use a homemade device from an empty plastic milk jug that is very similar to the squirrel cones used on bird feeders. They can climb up the cord, but they cannot navigate around that barrier. There is something to be said for units that have the power cord plug in to an outer wall receptical.

I like the looks of the critter guard for the sewer hose.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:19 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-1701A View Post
On my power cord, I use a homemade device from an empty plastic milk jug that is very similar to the squirrel cones used on bird feeders.....

Have any pictures you can share? This was on my list of projects. Thanks in advance.

- Richard
Old 02-28-2020, 02:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandDescape View Post
Have any pictures you can share? This was on my list of projects. Thanks in advance.

- Richard
This is crude, but effective. I guess I used a window wash fluid bottle and not a milk jug. Simply cut the bottom off and slit it up the side. I put it around the cord and kind of "pressure" the sides to get them to overlap, which tightens the throat around the cord, then I slip it up so the throat pushes into the rubber seal.

I also try to keep the slit side away from the cord as it would be possible for a critter to get hold of the slit edge, I suppose, and get up the edge. I had a big bird feeder in my yard once all wrapped in sheet aluminum on the 4x4 pole it was on (it was a big 50# capacity feeder) and a particularly determined grey squirrel who could not get up it literally started gnawing the overlapping edge making it rough and working his way up bit by bit and day by day until he could climb up that entire rough edge which gave him enough grip to get completely up the pole. Crafty devils! Of course I'm not worried about squirrels getting in, but rodents are rodents!

Old 02-28-2020, 08:18 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-1701A View Post

Thanks I’m going to keep this in mind and see what it inspires.

- Richard
Old 02-28-2020, 08:52 PM   #14

The squirrel that made a nest behind my refrigerator went down through the roof vent. Chewed right through the aluminum screen.
5 dead babies fell out when they pulled the fridge out to fix it.