Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2020, 08:53 AM   #1

Question—

Is there any problem with running the furnace inside my 60X50 insulated building with all doors closed?

Keith727
2005 Newmar DSDP 3815 4 slides
Keith727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2020, 08:55 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith727 View Post
Is there any problem with running the furnace inside my 60X50 insulated building with all doors closed?

Keith727
2005 Newmar DSDP 3815 4 slides
If it's electric should be good. Propane or Diesel, No Good.
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 08:57 AM   #3

Yes. CO is a byproduct of the combustion of the fuel. It will accumulate inside the garage without proper ventilation. Its heavier than air and will tend to build up along the floor. Unfortunately you cannot smell CO until it causes health problems up to and including death. Only run the furnace in a well ventilated area.
Old 12-16-2020, 09:07 AM   #4

Question

Thanks for the info!👍👍👍 Guess I will use heat pump. Cleaning inside of coach and need a little HEAT!🎅🏼
Keith727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 09:16 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Sure you can, unless your building is hermetically sealed and insulated to the 9's !

Let me ask you this, do you have to wear jackets IN the building ? then it's not sealed.

So do it, especially if it's only for a couple of hours...
Old 12-16-2020, 09:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Sure you can, unless your building is hermetically sealed and insulated to the 9's !

Let me ask you this, do you have to wear jackets IN the building ? then it's not sealed.

Yup, no different then running your car in your garage. Nobody dies from that.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 09:38 AM   #7

The safety recommendation is to not run combustion devices in a closed area. An internal combustion engine like a generator will quickly build up lethal CO levels. Humans cannot detect its presence until they collapse. Hospitalization is required for recovery.

A furnace will produce copious CO2. CO2 is not poisonous, but can cause suffocation. Humans can usually detect the effects before it becomes lethal.

My home furnace, water heater, and stove do not produce CO. They do produce CO2. I know this because they were tested while troubleshooting a CO detector issue.

Your RV furnace may or may not produce CO. Test it to find out for sure. It probably does not.

Electric heat is far safer in your situation.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 09:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post

Wearing a jacket is no sure sign of a building being sealed. Insulation is a very big determining factor in whether building gets hot or cold.

Running propane or diesel heat in a closed building is exactly the wrong thing to do. Don't do it. An open hay barn, maybe, if there is a breeze. Err on the side of not making your wife a widow.
Old 12-16-2020, 10:01 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Yup, no different then running your car in your garage. Nobody dies from that.
I love it!!!
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 10:47 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have an acquaintance that killed his Prevost doing that. I don't think its a good idea....

Bob
BBorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 10:51 AM   #11

So no one on this thread has a furnace in their house? Or they leave the front door open all year long?

Anyway, the detail to the question is that "it depends". Depends if you have installed a furnace rated for indoor use and ventilated as per the manufacturers instructions. ie: the combustion air is drawn and expelled to the outside and the combustion chamber heats the air on the inside with no direct path for the combustion air to mix with the interior air ie: it's a "furnace". My garage has a propane 50K BTU furnace hanging from the ceiling, my barn has a propane 110K BTU house heat / AC furnace.

And then there is using a kerosene or propane bullet space heater that is very commonly used. But, these require fresh air to be always available in the heated space. Used with "common" sense all is good. Used for temporary purposes while doing service work as example.

EDIT: ah rereading the OP post...are you saying run the RV furnace inside the barn? that's likely what the other posters easily read. Use electric heat only. No propane or diesel UNLESS the exhaust is piped outside the building (which a lot of folks do). Not sure I would still do that for long term purposes due to the possibility of leaks in the exhaust line. Certainly several carbon monoxide detectors should be used in several areas.
Old 12-16-2020, 01:51 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Diesel fumes will kill you, but not nearly as quick as gas and LP fumes. Diesel will give you a major headache, then kill you. We have run our diesel oasis for short periods of time to take the chill off and opened a shed door to let fresh air in the shed. The disclaimer is that diesel fumes are like the Chinese virus, it effects everyone differently. If you have the 50amp service, that is the safest route.
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 10:21 PM   #13

It is dangerous but I have connect piping to vent the exhaust from my generator outside when in storage. I set my generator to exercise monthly.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote