Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2015, 06:19 PM   #1

Question about televator

this morning as we were breaking camp I flipped the button to lower the televator, pushed the buttton to lower my Winegard Trave'ler roof top dish, and went outside to start other chores. When I came back in the televator lacked about 6 inches of coming completely down. It wouldn't go back up nor down any further. We were still plugged into shore power all this time.
When we arrived at our new destination this evening I started the Trave'ler locating the signal and flipped the televator switch. It went the rest of the way down and back up when I flipped the "Up" side of the switch.
What happened to cause it to stall completely part way down this morning but worked perfectly this evening? Can it be wired to the Trave'ler so that when it's down the televator won't work? Can't imagine that being the case but so far my experience with this 2015 DS tells me anything is possible.
Appreciate any good words of wisdom from the experts.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2015, 06:46 PM   #2

If the TV lift is controlled by anything other than the switch itself I haven't found that info anywhere...so far. Ours works but I gotta be honest the TV lift was on the "pro" list to choose another mfg. As many things that are on a RV that can and will go wrong WHY add to the list with a TV lift?
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:03 PM   #3

Ours has worked flawlessly probably 12-15 times since we picked up the coach, but the worst part of all this is that we also ordered the front overhead TV and the only sound comes from the televator TV. Any time we want to watch the front TV the televator must be raised and turned on to get any sound. Even the tech who did our PDI was stumped until he talked to one of the other techs who reminded him of this. No idea who or how this got started. Really dumb.
Old 10-17-2015, 09:45 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you have a receiver for a surround system maybe the reason for televator LCD to be activated.
Maybe the front TV audio could be wired to another audio input on receiver so all you would need to do is put on the receiver for sound from front TV over the speakers.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:32 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Not sure about the televator issue, but your front overhead TV should have sound - regardless of the position of the televator or the status of the Sony receiver. We actually plugged the overhead TV into a different plug (behind the receiver) so the kids can watch DVR recordings going down the road. Just don't tell anybody we did that
Old 10-18-2015, 09:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Ours has worked flawlessly probably 12-15 times since we picked up the coach, but the worst part of all this is that we also ordered the front overhead TV and the only sound comes from the televator TV. Any time we want to watch the front TV the televator must be raised and turned on to get any sound. Even the tech who did our PDI was stumped until he talked to one of the other techs who reminded him of this. No idea who or how this got started. Really dumb.
The televator TV can use it's own speakers OR through the surround sound receiver (or both if you want to give yourself a migraine). The front overhead TV is not wired to the receiver. However they are both wired to receive the signal if playing a DVD if desired. If we have the televator up it is almost impossible to use the remote without signaling both tv's. Regardless the front TV has its own sound/speakers you must have them muted.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 11:51 AM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"wagonmaster2"......So your saying that the BUILT IN speakers in the front TV are broken? More likely, it sounds like you're trying to get the front TV sound through the Home Theater system, which they are NOT wired to do. If your front TV speakers are broken, have them replace the TV under warranty!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 04:34 PM   #8

Not sure what is wrong with the front TV speakers, just that there is no sound coming from them. I know when I was going through the initial learning process with the dealer's tech he was trying to show how it all worked but couldn't get any sound from the front TV. After checking all the wiring in the cabinet over the driver's seat he talked to another tech who he said was more involved with DSs and that's when he learned the televator had to be up and turned on in order to get any sound from TV programs.

He did put a DVD in the Bluray player to show how the surround sound worked but blasted it so loud I had no idea which TV the sound was coming from, or even remember if the televator was up or not.

Doesn't look like I can even see if the front speakers are wired or not without prying the wooden loovers off the front of the cabinet between the TV and the windshield.

And speaking of the televator, again this morning getting ready to leave the CG it still quit about 6" before completely reaching the down position. And it wouldn't go back up or down either way. When we reached a new CG this evening it went on down and then back up just like it should. Looked back behind down behind the fireplace but couldn't see anything it might be hitting. If this is a Newmar gissmo maybe a call to them would be in order, assuming they would offer any suggestion other than "see your local dealer".
Old 10-18-2015, 04:48 PM   #9

So are they saying that in order to get sound from your front overhead TV you need to have the televator TV up and operating? That doesn't make any sense, we have a 2015 DS and sound from the front overhead set comes out just fine whether the other set is up or not. As for televator unit it sounds like you may have a loose connection in there somewhere, can you get at it behind the couch?
HWH Active Air Suspension 2014 Wrangler
DRL1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 05:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL1950 View Post
As for televator unit it sounds like you may have a loose connection in there somewhere, can you get at it behind the couch?
It is easy to get to the televator controls. The couch is moved forward by unbolting the four hold down bolts, and then you take off the bottom wood panel (around 8 screws if I remember).
I got rid of the factory Sony amplifier and installed a sound bar immediately underneath the televator TV. I put the subwoofer in the empty space underneath on the left side. There was lots of room for it. I abandoned the factory Sony subwoofer in place underneath the kitchen sink. It looked too hard to get out, and it was hard enough to reach the receptacle to pull the plug.
I use an HDMI splitter to run everything, and don't have any heat problems any more in the overhead AV cabinet.
Hope this is helpful.
Rob
Old 10-18-2015, 05:46 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
this morning as we were breaking camp I flipped the button to lower the televator, pushed the buttton to lower my Winegard Trave'ler roof top dish, and went outside to start other chores. When I came back in the televator lacked about 6 inches of coming completely down. It wouldn't go back up nor down any further. We were still plugged into shore power all this time.
When we arrived at our new destination this evening I started the Trave'ler locating the signal and flipped the televator switch. It went the rest of the way down and back up when I flipped the "Up" side of the switch.
What happened to cause it to stall completely part way down this morning but worked perfectly this evening? Can it be wired to the Trave'ler so that when it's down the televator won't work? Can't imagine that being the case but so far my experience with this 2015 DS tells me anything is possible.
Appreciate any good words of wisdom from the experts.
For the first 5 months....when we raised the televator ....Big Bang...then it would raise up. (Loud enough I expected the TV to be in pieces)
If you let it back down and then back up..no problem. Next morning Big Bang again. The other day..no Big Bang. It has worked fine since. Go figure.
lrose44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 06:33 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Check if the front TV is set to use external speakers. It should be part of the audio set-up menu. If it is set to use the internal speakers and you have no sound when you increase the volume on the remote, the TV is defective.

2015 DSDP 4369 with HWH Active Air, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster tow bar, SMI AirForce One, Silverleaf VMSPc
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL1950 View Post
So are they saying that in order to get sound from your front overhead TV you need to have the televator TV up and operating? That doesn't make any sense, we have a 2015 DS and sound from the front overhead set comes out just fine whether the other set is up or not. As for televator unit it sounds like you may have a loose connection in there somewhere, can you get at it behind the couch?
No Dave, when I want to watch TV I have to raise the televator for any sound at all. Nothing ever comes from the overhead TV.

The televator comes up behind the fireplace, not the sofa. I'm going to try watching behind the TV in the morning when I put the televator down and see if I can see if it's hitting anything. But it looks like the post the TV is mounted to slides down inside a solidly mounted pole so may not be able to see anything.
The perplexing thing is that when it stops about the 6" before reaching bottom then pressing the switch will neither raise nor continue to lower it. But after arriving at the next CG 5-6 hours later the switch will drop the TV that 6" and also will then raise it like it should. Why is the switch completely dead when the televator stops lowering?
Old 10-18-2015, 08:43 PM   #14

Well dummy me guys. This is what I get for listening to the dealer's techs. And one of them was supposed to be the Dutch Star expert. From the comments above I used the front TV's remote, went to Options, then scrolled down to Speakers, and found it was set to Audio System. I changed to TV Speakers and now I have sound out of the front overhead TV for the first time since receiving the coach the first of June.
Gad, how dumb can I be.
Thanks for that suggestion.