Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2016, 12:16 PM   #1

Question about windows

I have a two dumb questions about windows. We plan to buy a Canyon Star within 2 years, so we’re still in the research phase. My first question is about the frameless windows. How much do they open? It looks like some would only open a few inches at the bottom? My second question is about the emergency window in the bedroom. Is it possible to open it for ventilation, or to replace it with one that could open for daily use? Thanks!
PandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2016, 12:43 PM   #2

I have frameless windows and you are right that they open a small amount at the bottom. So if you are used to good cross ventilation you will be disappointed, but then that is why we have air conditioning. Newmar will not replace the emergency window as that will invalidate their certification. But you can usually prop the window open if you want to.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 04:14 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Downside to propping the emergency window open is that there is not an insect screen.
Old 07-04-2016, 05:20 PM   #4

Thanks for the info.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:50 PM   #5

Don't really have an issue with our frameless windows. They open enuf to get some cross ventilation. Still have a large slider window next to drivers seat, as well as having entry door, and ceiling exhaust fans. Plus on the frameless is you can leave them open during rain.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:19 AM   #6

Thanks, Britcon. Seems a shame to be "in the great outdoors" and have to be all closed up and running air conditioners. Hopefully we'll get a closer look later this summer. We have to plan a road trip or two to actually see the model that interests us.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:47 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
screen in bedroom

We prefer fresh air to air conditioning but are still very happy with the frameless windows. With the vent fans on, you still get good air flow and you don't have to worry about rain coming in. We've been in downpours and no rain has come in them. With our previous RV, we always had to close the windows when going out for a while or at night if there was any chance of rain at all.
I have now fixed the problem with the bedroom window not having a screen! I bought a roll of velcro with adhesive and placed it all around the window on the black metal. I put it on with the 2 sides of velcro attached to one another and one side sticking to the window frame and the sticky part on the other side facing the room. Then I cut a piece of plastic window screen a little larger than the window, and placed it on the sticky velcro. I made a little dart (a fold in the screen fabric) even with the red catches to allow a little bulge in the screen since the catches stick out a little beyond the plane of the window frame. Then I trimmed the excess screen and put black duck tape around the edge of the screen to keep dirt, etc from sticking to the sticky part of the velcro in the screen openings. At the bottom, I used a little of the duck tape to make tabs to make it easier to pull the bottom part of the velcro apart. Now I can pull the bottom of the screen out, open the window, put a small stick in to keep the window open and then velcro the screen back tight. I ordered a set of cheap chopsticks from Amazon to use for the stick to hold the window open since I didn't have anything else handy the right size. I've just finished the project, but so far I'm very pleased. I've also put a fan on the dresser facing into the room and so with or without the window open, I can get good air circulation in there.
lucyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:08 PM   #8

Is it OK to open the frameless windows while driving? Just curious.
OakHillFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:03 PM   #9

lucyh, that screen solution sounds great! Any pictures?
Old 09-13-2016, 06:31 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
pictures of my screen for emergency windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandS View Post
lucyh, that screen solution sounds great! Any pictures?
I have finally taken pictures and have posted a new thread with them: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/wind...ml#post3253054

It's working out great for us!
lucyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:02 PM   #11
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
We have had slide windows for years until we bought our Newmar. I actually prefer the Newmar frameless windows. I really like being able to keep them open in the rain I do miss the huge windows we had on our Lazy Daze class C. Best view out of any coach and the double pane windows were well insulated.

If I really want to see the outdoors, well, I go outdoors. Usually under that nice big awning

Mark and Louene Hetrick
Newbee the last VTDP 3725
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
window