Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2012, 10:09 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
I had the opportunity to test drive a 2013 MA with the comfort drive system for a few miles and was impressed. It was easy to handle in & out of traffic. The was no significant wind at the time so I did not mess with adjusting the bias. I equate the comfort dirve system to trimming out an airplane while climbing or in level flight.
BTF
Lafayette IN
The control knob changes the efforts (how hard or easy it is to turn), not the bias or trim. The bias, caused by wind or road crown, is cancelled out automatically and continuously.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2012, 10:28 AM   #16

Ken, it is nice that you are looking for input. I had a 08 DS without the adjustment knob. I felt it was too loose. I now have an 11 MA. I like to be able to adjust the tension. The knob enables me to change the chassis dynamics.

I would like to see an off position. I have never owned a rv without comfort drive so for me it would be interesting to see the difference with it and without it.

I think this is the greatest product ever installed on a rv. I do not understand why more manufactures do not have it. I spoke with a guy who delivered a chassis with it to tiffin for an evaluation. He said he picked it up a few weeks later and they indacated they felt it was not worth the money. One of the main reasons I picked newmar was because of comfort drive.

I think the manufactures should consider other factors when they order a chassis. I recently had spartan install a front sway bar on my MA. I am now convinced my MA drives the best it ever will. Before I was not satisfied feeling the weight shift as I changed lanes.

I did get a front blowout traveling 70 mph. I am convinced comfort drive saved me and my life.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
I did not mess with adjusting the bias. I equate the comfort dirve system to trimming out an airplane while climbing or in level flight.
The control available to the driver adjusts the steering efforts (how hard or easy it is sto steer), not the bias or trim to correct for pull due to wind or road crown. The pull compensation runs automatically and continuously.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:50 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Does comfort drive replace the need for a steering stabilizer?
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:01 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by clnhse View Post
Ken, it is nice that you are looking for input. I really do want to hear from the people who actually use what I make. I learn a lot more from you folks than I do listening to the voices inside my own head. (You just wouldn't believe some of the things they say!)

I had a 08 DS without the adjustment knob. I felt it was too loose. I now have an 11 MA. I like to be able to adjust the tension. The knob enables me to change the chassis dynamics. That's why we put it there.

I would like to see an off position. I have never owned a rv without comfort drive so for me it would be interesting to see the difference with it and without it. You can pull the 5A fuse going to the unit to disable it but once you've driven the Comfort Drive, you won't like it turned off. My demonstration coach has the ability to disable it and nobody ever wants it off after the first 5 minutes.

I think this is the greatest product ever installed on a rv. I do not understand why more manufactures do not have it. I spoke with a guy who delivered a chassis with it to tiffin for an evaluation. He said he picked it up a few weeks later and they indacated they felt it was not worth the money. I don't know who's vehicle that was but I do know that I was not a part of the demonstration. This means that it was almost certain to need tuning that it did not get. One of the main reasons I picked newmar was because of comfort drive.

I think the manufactures should consider other factors when they order a chassis. I recently had spartan install a front sway bar on my MA. I am now convinced my MA drives the best it ever will. Before I was not satisfied feeling the weight shift as I changed lanes.

I did get a front blowout traveling 70 mph. I am convinced comfort drive saved me and my life.
see embedded comments
Old 12-22-2012, 11:13 AM   #20
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I agree as I have driven both.

Comfort Drive is not just to enhance road driving. Turning, parking, backing and all maneuvering is superior with Comfort Drive.

Quote:
My demonstration coach has the ability to disable it and nobody ever wants it off after the first 5 minutes.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:36 PM   #21

When I was deciding on a coach to order, I test drove two 2013 Ventana's, a 3634 and a 4018 with tag axel. The test drive was probably only five miles or so but I did reach speeds of over 60 mph. The 3634 was beautiful, steady as a rock. The 4018 wanted to drift to the left the entire time and I constantly corrected. I mentioned this to the salesman but got no feedback. Since then I've read on this forum that it may have been an alignment problem. I'm wondering what other factors might influence the performance of Comfort Drive.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:47 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadweary View Post
Since then I've read on this forum that it may have been an alignment problem. I'm wondering what other factors might influence the performance of Comfort Drive.
Misassembly by new people is the biggest problem. There is a troubleshooting guide to solve this and other issues but I don't know how wide the distribution was.

Was your test drive at the factory or at a dealer?
Old 12-22-2012, 01:22 PM   #23

Was your test drive at the factory or at a dealer?

The test drive was at a dealer. Most of it was on a long straight away with plenty of time for the auto correction.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:49 PM   #24

Ken,

I am another one who doesn't have anything to compare the steering to since this is my first coach. Where is the 5 amp fuse to disable it. I might want to risk it sometime.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:14 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
I've had motor homes without (2011 Tiffin Phaeton) and now the 2012 DSDP and if you want to pull the fuse, you are simply wasting your time. The Phaeton was a 36' and in high wind conditions, it was a white knuckle fight. I drove a Newmar with comfort drive on a 50 mile test and sold the Phaeton the following week and moved to a Newmar. I will never own a non-comfort drive MH again.
MoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:44 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post
Ken,

I am another one who doesn't have anything to compare the steering to since this is my first coach. Where is the 5 amp fuse to disable it. I might want to risk it sometime.

Don
I would hope both the 5 A and the 40 A fuses are in the fusebox and are well labeled. I think all the fuse boxes are in front of the left front wheel but they may have moved them since I looked last.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:37 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Ken,

On "Gen 1" systems is the "sensitivity setting common to all chassis style/application and wheelbase, or is different for each chassis style/application and wheelbase?

If it is the same for all applications it might be nice to develope some way for a manufacturer or authorized repair facility to adjust the sensitivity of the "Gen 1" system. Not that I am complaining, I have owned several different types of motorhomes on several different chassis, will never own another that does not have your system installed, be it comfort drive or some other name. But the other thing that I have learned that different styles (IFS, Solid Axle, etc), and different wheelbases drive/handle completely different, so I am curious as to how the "Gen 1" systems reacts to that.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:43 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikester View Post
Ken,

On "Gen 1" systems is the "sensitivity setting common to all chassis style/application and wheelbase, or is different for each chassis style/application and wheelbase?

If it is the same for all applications it might be nice to develope some way for a manufacturer or authorized repair facility to adjust the sensitivity of the "Gen 1" system. Not that I am complaining, I have owned several different types of motorhomes on several different chassis, will never own another that does not have your system installed, be it comfort drive or some other name. But the other thing that I have learned that different styles (IFS, Solid Axle, etc), and different wheelbases drive/handle completely different, so I am curious as to how the "Gen 1" systems reacts to that.

Spike
The first systems had a very limited distrubution but we tried it on things as small as a 30' Kountry Star and as large as a London Aire and were happy with the same settings for all. I was more surprised than anybody how consistant they were on driver preference for the limited number of people we could test with. As for third party adjustability, there are so few out there that it would probably be cheaper to upgrade the coaches than to upgrade all the dealers for a one-time deal. That decision is way above my pay grade.