Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2021, 02:21 PM   #1

Question for our Jeep connoisseurs :)

Hi, with some many towing jeeps I thought I ask the question, Iím interested in changing my tow vehicle for a Jeep soft top, new or used one? I know diddly-squat about jeeps LOL, so what what do I want and what I donít? A must have for me itís a soft top been able to remove the top or fold it back, four door would be great, the rest I donít have a clue thanks for the help.

Zzotte
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2021, 02:45 PM   #2

Wink

There's a variety of tops, some hard that come off over cargo and passenger area as one piece, hards that also come off over the driver/passenger separate from backseat & cargo which also will come off, soft that retra t over driver/passenger and fully from front to back. Lots if options. Unless you are into hard core 4 wheeling or you get a great deal you can't pass up, no need to spend the extra bucks buying a Rubicon. I would say I do more off roading (elk hunting) than most living in Colorado and I haven't needed the lower gearing of a Rubicon. My Sahara Ltd 4x4 does all I need it to do. There's certainly a testosterone factor between the two.
TheRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 02:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRod View Post
There's a variety of tops, some hard that come off over cargo and passenger area as one piece, hards that also come off over the driver/passenger separate from backseat & cargo which also will come off, soft that retra t over driver/passenger and fully from front to back. Lots if options. Unless you are into hard core 4 wheeling or you get a great deal you can't pass up, no need to spend the extra bucks buying a Rubicon. I would say I do more off roading (elk hunting) than most living in Colorado and I haven't needed the lower gearing of a Rubicon. My Sahara Ltd 4x4 does all I need it to do. There's certainly a testosterone factor between the two.
Oh no, just some fun driving around town ( beach area) nothing fancy a wrangler will do if I only knew which one hahaha itís gazilians of options
Old 11-21-2021, 02:51 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you have a stick and brick (aka not full time e), get the dual top group. This gives you both tops. I hang my hard top during the summer. This is about the time of year I swap back to hard top. In the winter, it is much warmer than the soft top.

You can always buy a soft top cheaply (around $1200 for 4 door), but a hard top must be on the original otherwise you won't have wiring for wipers and defrost.
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 03:04 PM   #5

Jeeps Wranglers have several top options as you may know. I relate my experience. I bought mine used. It’s a 2015 Wrangler JK Sahara 2dr hardtop automatic which has what they call Freedom Panels over the front seats that can be removed to enjoy the open air. They are heavy and cumbersome to deal with. Recently I replaced the panels with a Bestop Sunrider which provides an easy flip top. This top works for both 2dr and 4dr models. (Jeep also sells a Sunrider top) I’ve only had it on for a month and so far so good. I have noticed more wind noise with the soft top than the Freedom Panels but it’s expected.

For towing, I’d suggest looking at the NSA Ready Brute Elite package which includes a brake system, tow bar, breakaway cables. The Jeep is very easy to setup for towing, no need to keep in in ignition, and a simple procedure to put the transfer case in neutral for towing.

Jeep has several trim versions which can differ between 2 and 4 door models. The Sport level is the entry level which may be all you want, but if it also will serve as your daily driver, perhaps not.

Hope this helps.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 03:08 PM   #6

I've owned several Jeeps. A soft top is fun on the back roads but noisy on the highway. Soft tops may also included soft doors, which have a zippered window. There are no locks on soft doors. My current Jeep with a plastic hardtop has 2 removable panels, 1 above the driver and one above the passenger, this gives me the open air option, with roll down windows. The windshield can be lowered to be just above the hood if you want more air. In case of rain, I can replace the removable panels and secure the windshield.

I have a 2017 Jeep Rubicon Sport
Old 11-21-2021, 04:24 PM   #7

Basically I want a convertible for the summer that can be driven in the winter when we are home, I have another car that I drive in the summer but itís a garage queen and I will not take that to be beach ( salt air) I think a Jeep would be fun, noise itís ok stick shift would be great

Zzotte
Old 11-22-2021, 02:04 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzotte View Post
Basically I want a convertible for the summer that can be driven in the winter when we are home, I have another car that I drive in the summer but itís a garage queen and I will not take that to be beach ( salt air) I think a Jeep would be fun, noise itís ok stick shift would be great

Zzotte
I have a 2019 Wrangler Rubicon 4 Door with the removable Hard top. I find this to be perfect solution to the "convertible" yet drivable in the winter. The hard top is removed with 8 bolts. They sell all sorts of lifts for them in the 1,000 range to make it easy, but I'm cheap, so I put four ratchet straps hung from my beams in the garage, back in, hook up the ratchet straps and within 10 minutes I have the top completely suspended from the garage ceiling. I can drive in and out, and when it's time to put the top back on, lower the straps, screw in the bolts and go. Easy.

you don't need a Rubicon to do this, the sport or base model will due of course, but I use this for my daily driver in addition to it being a toad so I wanted all the bells and whistles that come with the Rubicon.

*JeepWave :-)
JeffSFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 02:18 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The new ones have soft tops that are zipper-less and much quieter than previous models. The three part hard top is nice also. You can open up the front of the roof and not have to take the whole top off to enjoy the open air. We use those way more than we remove or swap tops. The new ones have an elongated wheelbase and some of them have been designed for larger wheels giving them a much better ride than older models.

The Saharas are the upscale models, but it's still a Jeep, so don't expect much of a luxury experience. The Rubicon has a lot of stuff you will never need or use for off roading, along with a rougher ride and more weight. All of them can be customized to your satisfaction and they're all really easy to convert to toads. Four doors is nice if you have some furry friends or want some extra space for passengers or cargo. I would suggest going down to the lot and taking a look around at the different models and see what you like or don't about them. Price varies for the nicer ones, but not by much. We found in our latest purchase that what we were initially looking for and what we purchased were not the same, but the model we chose was exactly what we would have chosen had we known all the differences beforehand.
Old 11-22-2021, 02:41 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
If you are looking for a nice luxury ride forget the jeep. they are built for the dirt and do very well off road. They also tow behind the MH very well.
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 04:26 PM   #11

Now is not the best time to get a Wrangler

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...id=msedgntphdr
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 05:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
Now is not the best time to get a Wrangler

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...id=msedgntphdr
I just ordered a 2022 Jeep Wrangler Altitude Sport well optioned and I was able to negotiate a price below MSRP.
Old 11-22-2021, 05:27 PM   #13

If you have a soft top, you may have problems securing items in your Jeep
Old 11-22-2021, 07:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by K0YJ View Post
I just ordered a 2022 Jeep Wrangler Altitude Sport well optioned and I was able to negotiate a price below MSRP.

Cool! I have a 2021 Altitude Sport and I'm quite gaga over it. I ordered mine fall of 2020 before things got too goofy with supply chain issues. Mine is a daily driver and toad. Been towing behind motorhomes since the 90's and always avoided Wranglers. Thought they were crude, rode poorly, road noise, etc. I wasn't wrong but found I really like driving it. Wife prefers to drive it over a luxo SUV she has as well. Also you can see the Maximus tow loops under the bumper. Otherwise it's stock & hard to tell it's equipped to tow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kel1.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	650.1 KB
ID:	349605  
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jeep