Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2016, 04:08 PM   #1

Question on Newmar Customization

Here is the deal... There are a few states(7 or 8) that have 60 foot length laws pertaining to coach and trailer combined length .... I want to run a stacker trailer.. Weight will be around 11.5 to 12klbs ... Only the tags are suitable for over 10k lbs trailer weight .. Tags start in the 40 foot range.. Problem is that puts me over the 60 foot length law.. Im looking at the dutch star.. Will newmar put their 37 foot housing on a tag ... Looking through 100's of dutch stars online... I have seen a few of the 37 foot plans with a tag... But it very easily could have been a misprint.. Only found 2 or 3 ... Also if they will put a tag... Is it as easy as taking their 37 foot body and just slapping it on with a few cuts.. Or is it a complete rerouting of many components... I dont want to have it in the shop constantly over trial and error from something they have never done before.. Or perhaps they have done it many times.. That is why I am asking .. Im aware the basement space will become an issue.. But since im running a stacker, overall storage will be just fine ... I understand historically the states haven't cracked down on length laws with rv's.. But ive heard over the last year or so, they have started cracking down pretty good .. The shortest stacker you can get is 20 foot (24 with tongue) .. So even a 37 will put me 1 foot 11 inches over.. But I highly doubt they will say anything. Even the most strict of officers .. And I am looking into if they will build me an 18 foot stacker... Which would put me right under 60... I know at 65 (40 foot with 20 foot stacker) people say they dont get messed with. But I want to keep this setup for a few years at least... And with cracking down trending.. They soon may target 5 foot over .. Maybe not.... But its a large investment and does no good sitting in the driveway... Any help would greatly be appreciated.. Ty so much
Troll Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2016, 04:18 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Troll Killer,
I wouldn't worry about the length. However, it may come into play for an accident. If a state was to crack down on the length issue they would quickly have an exodus of almost of all the high dollar RV business in the state. I don't think this would set well with business and politicians.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 05:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Troll Killer,
I wouldn't worry about the length. However, it may come into play for an accident. If a state was to crack down on the length issue they would quickly have an exodus of almost of all the high dollar RV business in the state. I don't think this would set well with business and politicians.
Ty for your reply.. I did figure that was the case to be honest... But it isn't a certain thing.. Though I agree it is very likely they wouldn't continue... Or update their laws to have longer lengths at the min.. But its a large investment so obviously I am concerned.. It isn't a deciding factor. Just a contributing one ... Do you have any information on the 37 foot tag option from newmar ... Being that I am currently single.. 37 foot is plenty long anyways .. Ty for any input
Old 05-16-2016, 06:10 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Newmar will not do any chassis modifications.
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
Newmar will not do any chassis modifications.
Well looking at pics.. I think the 37 foot housing would fit on the stock 40' foot frame.. Or are you saying not at all?
Old 05-16-2016, 08:15 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have asked several times for very minor chassis changes, and the bottom line was always no specials involving anything on the chassis.
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
I have asked several times for very minor chassis changes, and the bottom line was always no specials involving anything on the chassis.
Ok lol.. Thanks my friend
Old 05-16-2016, 09:03 PM   #8

Another question on newmar customization :)

A couple of questions to be fair .... I like some of the color combinations on some of their higher lines such as the essex .. Mainly the color of the cabinets and other woods .. For a fee will they allow you some of the same color options ... (oh sorry looking at the dutch star 40 foot) .. Also how about other options that may only be mountain aire on up.. Are they pretty flexible? Though i do believe the dutch star offers virtually all the features of the mountain aire... Oh and one last question.... Can you change some of the floor plan.. Mainly seating area's... I understand they wont change slides or other structural components ... Ive looked through their website at some of the custom things you can do.. But some of the things I have seen on lots seems to be things not even listed on their site... Anybody who has had a DP built by them.. Please give your experience on customization .. Ty for your time guys
Old 05-16-2016, 09:23 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
To get a straight answer from the person you will be dealing with go to this link and look up Michelle, Howard, has her number to contact.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:28 PM   #10

For a fee you can choose any of the exterior colors that Newmar uses on any of their coaches. What you cannot change is the pattern of the graphics. Each of the graphics is set up for four colors. The skin and A, B and C. You can choose any color for any of those for parts of the graphic.

As for the interior, you pretty much have free reign in choosing any of the cabinets, countertops and flooring offered in any of their coach lines. Where they get very proprietary is when it comes to choosing cabinets from a higher line than the coach that you are purchasing. I can't remember for sure, but when you are purchasing a Dutch star you may be allowed to select Mountain Aire cabinets at the most. I know from that point on you will be denied. In other words I know for sure you cannot select cabinets from London Aire, Essex and King Aire.

Hope this helps n Good Luck!
CentILRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:27 PM   #11

Ty guys
Old 05-16-2016, 11:38 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Newmar has changed a lot on their options over the years! We've ordered both a 2000 and 2002 Dutch Star. some things could be done and they wouldn't do others.
We could order interior colors/countertops from a MACA for our DSDP but not MADP ones. Wanted the HydroHot out of a MADP, they flat out refused, said they didn't want to cross over the distinction between the lines. They did remove two walls and a pocket door, then let us use a vanity from a MACA.
Sounds like they finally got the hint and allow more choices!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:35 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Troll Killer,
The reason Newmar will make no chassis changes is the new configuration would need to be recertified by DOT. That is a long and expensive process.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 02:09 PM   #14

I don't think it is even possible to have a tag on the 37' Dutch Star since it has the side radiator. There wouldn't be any room and a lot of storage space would be lost (not that it would matter with a stacker).
John (USAF Reti)/Cheryl (Teacher) Boo (15 year old cat), Billie (18mos cat), Ben (18mos cat), Beau (18mos cat). '20 Tiffin 32SA (Feb 2020 arrival); Past RVs: '16 Newmar Ventana 3709, '16 Tiffin Allegro 36LA, '14 EverGreen Bayhill 295RL, '12 Voltage V3200, '09 BigHorn 3400, '06 Jayco Octane, '04 Jayco Baja
JCGibson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar