Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2016, 08:33 AM   #1

Questions about 2017 Canyon Star (3710)

I was very excited to see the Newmar site has the 2017 info for all their coaches this morning!

I quickly downloaded the CS brochure and started perusing it - very nice, btw.

I sent off an email to the salesman at my local dealer with some questions. Perhaps someone here might know some of the answers...

1) Why would the V10 engine be rated for 320 HP instead of 362? Was it geared differently to improve torque? (I see no torque info, btw) The 3911 is rated for 362, but all the other CSCA floor plans are rated at 320. Since there's no higher end gasser, I can't seeing it being to prevent cannibalizing sales...

2) In the brochure, I see options for a Power Cord Reel, Dishwasher, and Drop-down Bunk over front seats. Are these new for 2017 and (selfish interest) available on the 3710 floor plan?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

TGIF!
Daryl in Woodstock
DarylW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2016, 10:37 AM   #2

Available Options

Go to www.Newmarcorp.com/dealer-resources/ You'll find all the order sheets for all Newmar models. You just select Canyon Star and then go to the order sheets for 3710. It will tell you what is available for that floorplan.

As per HP reduction, ??? I think I remember seeing a post about this but it may not have been on this forum. I think the conclusion was lowered HP for emissions standards...but don't take that as gospel.
Dizzee2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:43 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
2016 and newer Ford F53 chassis HP rating is 320 with the 6-speed transmission. A rating of 362 is probably just a misprint. I don't remember all the details, but there is plenty of posts in the Ford Chassis Forum.
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:12 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies!

Heard back from the salesman that, yes, the reduction in HP from 362 to 320 was due to California Emissions... the 362 for the other model was a misprint confirmed by Newmar.

Got the order sheets - Thanks!

Daryl
Old 06-03-2016, 11:25 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarylW View Post
Thanks for the replies!

Heard back from the salesman that, yes, the reduction in HP from 362 to 320 was due to California Emissions... the 362 for the other model was a misprint confirmed by Newmar.

Got the order sheets - Thanks!

Daryl
Don't get hung up on HP ratings. I would not let the HP rating bother me. That changed last year. Although the HP is lower, it is rated at a lower rpm. I believe its actually been tuned to perform better at lower rpms. Interesting thing is that torque is actually up ever so slightly (457 to 460 iirc), but at a lower rpm as I recall. Its now mated to a 6 spd tranny. All accounts I've read about the 320/6 spd version have been glowing reviews. The package seems to work much better than the previous years with the 5 spd. 320 may or may not be the peak HP. 320 is the "rated" HP at some rpm. Peak HP may be at a higher rpm. The who issue may be a numbers game to satisfy some government regulation.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 03:51 PM   #6

Looks like it will be a 2017 Canyon Star 3710...

See my latest update at - http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/firs...ml#post3121434