Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-12-2021, 01:34 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 13
Questions about a new Dutch Star 4369..

Hello All,

Hopefully I am posting this correctly since I have never posted here before.

I currently own a 2017 Luxe 5th wheel. I had a buyer interested in my tow vehicle and the price was right, so I sold it. So... that leaves me at a point where I can buy a new tow vehicle, or I can change direction and buy a new Class A Newmar diesel pusher. I'm thinking Dutch Star 4369, but I never owned a Class A motorcoach and am not sure that I will like how the handle, drive and climb hills.

I'm headed to NIRVC to look at and test drive a Dutch Star and an Entegra Anthem.

I travel at the speed limit at around 70 mph for long trips. Usually I travel anywhere from 6 to 14 hours at a clip depending on where we decide to go.

Can any owner's tell me from their own honest experience how well these pull 7 percent grades (between 7 and 13 miles long) and how they drive and handle on the interstate? Do they have plenty of power to cruise at 70 mph on the highway for long distances and how bad will it trail off of 70 mph on the forementioned hills? Do they get pushed around on the highway by wind, road ruts and semi-trucks? How well do they handle bumpy, broken interstate? Do they require a lot of steering wheel correction to stay in their lane, or do they track like they are on rails?

I have a non-commercial Class A license and have been driving semi truck for many years. I want a good tracking vehicle that I don't have to fight for many hours to get to my destination.

Thank you all in advance for your help.
Dbl0svn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2021, 02:06 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
enjoyrv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 751
Questions about a new Dutch Star 4369..

I don’t know how important living space is to you but based on your post, you might want to consider a Super C from Newmar, Renegade, or Showhauler. For the price point of a new DS, that get you a Renegade Classic or Showhauler w 505 hp 1850 torque range, a variety of transmissions including 12 speeds for pulling hills. The Newmar Supreme Star comes in at a higher price point. I don’t own a Super C and haven’t driven one like I described above but everyone that has had a class A and moved to Super C comment about how well they track and pull mountains better and less tiring to drive for the long days you drive.
On most days, my 2010 43’ 425 hp Dutch Aire with Comfort drive is a pleasure to drive but 8 hour days is enough for me. A side wind needs to be pretty strong before it becomes a problem. I cruise at 65 mph and pull Rocky’s west of Denver usually down to 40 mph which is a bit faster than truck traffic on hills.
If living space is important, the new DS 4369 is really hard to beat. Beautiful coach and you will find many happy owners here.
__________________
Rich NKK19266
2010 Dutch Aire 4317
2014 Grand Cherokee Summit Ecodiesel
enjoyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 02:35 PM   #3
Member
 
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Ga.
Posts: 61
I had a 400 in my 40 ft 05 Tiffin which had a lot of power, I have a 450 in my 2017 DS it's ok, but I also understand that I have a lot more weight in the DS.
I'm sure someone will come in on this but I thought I read some where that you could order the 605 in the DS? but it was quite a bit more money.
__________________
Arty
2017 Dutch Star 4369
2011 GMC Canyon, 2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ Golden Eagle
Arty1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 02:51 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
enjoyrv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty1313 View Post
I had a 400 in my 40 ft 05 Tiffin which had a lot of power, I have a 450 in my 2017 DS it's ok, but I also understand that I have a lot more weight in the DS.

I'm sure someone will come in on this but I thought I read some where that you could order the 605 in the DS? but it was quite a bit more money.


You have to move up to the London Aire to get the 605 hp.
__________________
Rich NKK19266
2010 Dutch Aire 4317
2014 Grand Cherokee Summit Ecodiesel
enjoyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 03:03 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
USMCRET's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,527
I have a new ‘21 DS 4326, and I drove a ‘05 KSDP for ten years prior to this one.

I have not yet challenged it with 7% grades for miles at a time, but I’m confident you will pass most tractor trailers on those inclines if you have a clear shot at the hill. If you get stuck behind one, it will be iffy if you can go around it. It could be done, but will require a lot of real estate.

70 mph for extended time is no problem. Comfort steer minimizes driver input, but I have no idea how it compares to semis. Drive like on rails? Nope. But, between the tag and comfort steer, it does an admirable job of staying where you want it. I can drive it all day and not feel like I’ve been wrestling pigs at day’s end.
__________________
2021 DSDP 4326 Freightliner
2005 KSDP 3910 Spartan
Another Satisfied NIRVC Customer
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 03:16 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 355
I find my 2019 LADP easier to drive than the F350/5th wheel combination I used to drive.

As for power, I have the 605 Cummins so that has not been an issue. I have an F250 toad and it drives exactly the same with or without the toad.
__________________
Steve & Carrie
2019 London Aire 4576, Spartan K3, 605 Cummins
2019 F250 King Ranch 4x4
GWBGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 03:34 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Kingston, TN
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbl0svn View Post
Hello All,

Hopefully I am posting this correctly since I have never posted here before.

I currently own a 2017 Luxe 5th wheel. I had a buyer interested in my tow vehicle and the price was right, so I sold it. So... that leaves me at a point where I can buy a new tow vehicle, or I can change direction and buy a new Class A Newmar diesel pusher. I'm thinking Dutch Star 4369, but I never owned a Class A motorcoach and am not sure that I will like how the handle, drive and climb hills.

I'm headed to NIRVC to look at and test drive a Dutch Star and an Entegra Anthem.

I travel at the speed limit at around 70 mph for long trips. Usually I travel anywhere from 6 to 14 hours at a clip depending on where we decide to go.

Can any owner's tell me from their own honest experience how well these pull 7 percent grades (between 7 and 13 miles long) and how they drive and handle on the interstate? Do they have plenty of power to cruise at 70 mph on the highway for long distances and how bad will it trail off of 70 mph on the forementioned hills? Do they get pushed around on the highway by wind, road ruts and semi-trucks? How well do they handle bumpy, broken interstate? Do they require a lot of steering wheel correction to stay in their lane, or do they track like they are on rails?

I have a non-commercial Class A license and have been driving semi truck for many years. I want a good tracking vehicle that I don't have to fight for many hours to get to my destination.

Thank you all in advance for your help.
I pulled a 36 ft. DRV Suite 5th wheel for 7 years. I sold it it and bought a 40 Ft Dutch Star and had it for 3 years. I now have a 4369 Dutch Star that I have had for 2 years. So here are my responses to your questions.

Driving a DS down the interstate is a real joy. Smooth, quiet and not bothered by semi trucks. You can basically drive it with one or two fingers if you like, it tracks very well with little to no steering wheel correction. We love traveling in a motorhome versus pulling a 5th wheel. Many of our highways are in poor condition and sure the ride is not always pleasant. To me riding in our DS versus pulling the 5th wheel over the same poor highways is better. I hated the "bucking" we experienced pulling the 5th wheel. As far as going up 7% grades, sure the DS slows but not unlike pulling the 5th wheel. As you learn how to handle your coach you will develop techniques that aid in managing going up steep grades. At this point in my life, I'm not in a hurry and the DS gets me where I'm going just fine. I'm not in a race and I don't have to out run everyone to the top of the hill. I enjoy the journey and are thrilled with our decision to move from 5th wheel to DS. This is just one opinion on a very subjective topic.

Allen
__________________
Allen & Angel
2019 Dutch Star 4369, 2016 Dutch Star 4018 (Sold)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, Blue Ox, Air Force One
wam16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 04:05 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
I have a new ‘21 DS 4326, and I drove a ‘05 KSDP for ten years prior to this one.

I have not yet challenged it with 7% grades for miles at a time, but I’m confident you will pass most tractor trailers on those inclines if you have a clear shot at the hill. If you get stuck behind one, it will be iffy if you can go around it. It could be done, but will require a lot of real estate.

70 mph for extended time is no problem. Comfort steer minimizes driver input, but I have no idea how it compares to semis. Drive like on rails? Nope. But, between the tag and comfort steer, it does an admirable job of staying where you want it. I can drive it all day and not feel like I’ve been wrestling pigs at day’s end.

The truck that I sold was a 2017 Volvo VNL42T730 with a 500HP D13. Power was not a problem and I could drop one gear and run 70 mph up a 7 percent grade all day long. No issues with heat either. That truck had an air ride front suspension and made you work to keep it straight in high winds, or bad roads.
Dbl0svn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 04:13 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWBGE View Post
I find my 2019 LADP easier to drive than the F350/5th wheel combination I used to drive.

As for power, I have the 605 Cummins so that has not been an issue. I have an F250 toad and it drives exactly the same with or without the toad.
How is the handling? I had air ride on the front suspension of my Volvo and I was not impressed with it's ability to track straight in high winds, rutted interstate, or heavy bumps. Required a constant steering input versus minor corrections. Also the air ride would unload fully over the Maryland bridge entrances and sometimes bring the tires off of the ground.
Dbl0svn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 04:29 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wam16 View Post
I pulled a 36 ft. DRV Suite 5th wheel for 7 years. I sold it it and bought a 40 Ft Dutch Star and had it for 3 years. I now have a 4369 Dutch Star that I have had for 2 years. So here are my responses to your questions.

Driving a DS down the interstate is a real joy. Smooth, quiet and not bothered by semi trucks. You can basically drive it with one or two fingers if you like, it tracks very well with little to no steering wheel correction. We love traveling in a motorhome versus pulling a 5th wheel. Many of our highways are in poor condition and sure the ride is not always pleasant. To me riding in our DS versus pulling the 5th wheel over the same poor highways is better. I hated the "bucking" we experienced pulling the 5th wheel. As far as going up 7% grades, sure the DS slows but not unlike pulling the 5th wheel. As you learn how to handle your coach you will develop techniques that aid in managing going up steep grades. At this point in my life, I'm not in a hurry and the DS gets me where I'm going just fine. I'm not in a race and I don't have to out run everyone to the top of the hill. I enjoy the journey and are thrilled with our decision to move from 5th wheel to DS. This is just one opinion on a very subjective topic.

Allen

Thanks Allen. This is very good news. My wife and I are going back and forth on this one. I'm not too opposed to giving up some hill climbing power. I am concerned that I may find the coach wanting to wander around and me having to keep having to corral it. I had a 2017 Volvo and I still have my 42ft 5th wheel. My 5th wheel has a very smooth ride with the Morryde IS suspension and the anti-chucking pin box. Sounds like the ride of the Dutch Star will be good. Your comments about the steering are very promising. I'm certain that any test drive that I get will be very basic and difficult for me to really asses it.
Dbl0svn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 04:29 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 355
As others have said, it tracks very well. The Comfort Steer and air suspension do an excellent job of compensating for cross winds.

That said, I have no way to compare it to your Volvo. Best bet is to take a test drive on a windy day.
__________________
Steve & Carrie
2019 London Aire 4576, Spartan K3, 605 Cummins
2019 F250 King Ranch 4x4
GWBGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 08:06 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Winepress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,552
I might add that be prepared to hear different noises. Fifth wheel you hear nothing. In a Motorhome, you’re riding with the dishes.
__________________
2018 Dutch Star 4369
Everything was working fine, until it wasn't.
Winepress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 06:00 AM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
I might add that be prepared to hear different noises. Fifth wheel you hear nothing. In a Motorhome, you’re riding with the dishes.
Very good point.
Dbl0svn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 06:15 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 149
Questions on a DutchStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbl0svn View Post
Hello All,

Hopefully I am posting this correctly since I have never posted here before.

I currently own a 2017 Luxe 5th wheel. I had a buyer interested in my tow vehicle and the price was right, so I sold it. So... that leaves me at a point where I can buy a new tow vehicle, or I can change direction and buy a new Class A Newmar diesel pusher. I'm thinking Dutch Star 4369, but I never owned a Class A motorcoach and am not sure that I will like how the handle, drive and climb hills.

I'm headed to NIRVC to look at and test drive a Dutch Star and an Entegra Anthem.

I travel at the speed limit at around 70 mph for long trips. Usually I travel anywhere from 6 to 14 hours at a clip depending on where we decide to go.

Can any owner's tell me from their own honest experience how well these pull 7 percent grades (between 7 and 13 miles long) and how they drive and handle on the interstate? Do they have plenty of power to cruise at 70 mph on the highway for long distances and how bad will it trail off of 70 mph on the forementioned hills? Do they get pushed around on the highway by wind, road ruts and semi-trucks? How well do they handle bumpy, broken interstate? Do they require a lot of steering wheel correction to stay in their lane, or do they track like they are on rails?

I have a non-commercial Class A license and have been driving semi truck for many years. I want a good tracking vehicle that I don't have to fight for many hours to get to my destination.

Thank you all in advance for your help.
Enjoy your shopping and test drive... I would keep what you have and upgrade or change your tow vehicle. IMHO after 50 years of RVing, and now with a DutchStar, you already have the perfect set-up.
Car1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dutch star



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dutch Star :: 2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4369 Kenstrucks iRV2 Owners Registry 0 02-02-2020 06:10 PM
Dutch Star :: 2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4369 CaptainGizmo iRV2 Owners Registry 0 12-11-2018 12:00 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.