Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2020, 07:23 AM   #1

Questions about purchase

We are brand new to motor homes. Have owned several fifth wheels. Assuming the money part is ok for us, what are the other reasons to not consider these units as our jump in DPMH.

We are currently looking at two coaches and getting ready to make offers on each.
2014 King Aire 4503
2015 King Aire 4503

Please share any experience with these year models of King Aires? Know problems or issues that seem to affect most of this model?

Would you experienced rv’s buy a higher end 14/15 or a lower end later model coach? Take fit and finish out of equation, I more talking reliability.

Thanks in advance
aguyintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2020, 09:41 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would definitely take an older higher end coach over a new lower end unit. But I would also pay a professional independent RV inspector to do a full check on the unit before the purchase. Plan to spend $500 or so for the inspection. Also insist on the full service records and have all fluids and filters changed before the purchase.

But be aware that a diesel motorhome also comes with a high maintenance cost and in the event of a breakdown, the repairs are expensive. I'd set back about $10,000 for on the road service and repairs.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 12:45 PM   #3

I purchased a older DSDP simply because it didn't have the DPF/DEF system. That being said if you pulled a 5th wheel you had a vehicle to run around in once you disconnected. You will have to pull a toad if you want that same convenience.

I have tried different combinations, I fish bass tournaments and fun fish quit a bit so I have tried a 5th wheel pulling bass boat behind it. Yes it worked but I wasn't comfortable doing it. I tried pulling 5th wheel and the wife or fishing partner pulling bass boat in another vehicle. Again it helps with social distancing but not economics. I went to motorhome and can pull bass boat but again no vehicle to launch boat nor run around the area where we set up. So, again wife or fishing partner has to tow boat with separate vehicle. I'm not sure there is a good solution for all circumstances.
Fefanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 01:27 PM   #4

From a reliability standpoint, keep in mind all Newmar coaches are built on the same production line. The King Aire is not necessarily better quality than the lower line coaches, but has significantly better fit/finish and features.

The 2014 was a major year, with the introduction of the (16) house batteries and (2) inverter setup. Both of these coaches are likely needing new batteries soon, which will be significant given the number of them.

I believe both of those years have the ISX 600 engine. Earlier years had the 650, which has had very costly problems for some coaches. If the earlier one has the 650, personally I would avoid. The 600 seems pretty bullet proof, and will far outlast the coach.

A plus of these coaches is they have the K3GT chassis (now coined the K4), which was dropped after the 16 model year. I believe that chassis is significantly better than the K3, even accounting for what Newmar welds onto it after the fact.
Old 07-17-2020, 01:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
I would definitely take an older higher end coach over a new lower end unit. But I would also pay a professional independent RV inspector to do a full check on the unit before the purchase. Plan to spend $500 or so for the inspection. Also insist on the full service records and have all fluids and filters changed before the purchase.

But be aware that a diesel motorhome also comes with a high maintenance cost and in the event of a breakdown, the repairs are expensive. I'd set back about $10,000 for on the road service and repairs.

Ken

Ken,
Thanks for the reply. I see you are also in Livingston. I own a lot of Cat equipment so I am familiar with diesel repair cost, but with that said I am also familiar with how the last if properly serviced and maintained. I am more concerned about the rest of the coach. The chassis, drive train and generator are the parts I’m not nervous about. It’s all the “ gadgets” I’m concerned with.
Thanks again
Old 07-18-2020, 01:36 PM   #6

I think that the King Aire is Newmar's flagship coach. They are hugely expensive new, and I don't think they make that many of them each year. Stay away from the Cummins ISX 650. As far as gadgets... dunno but gadgets are generally easily replaced unless you're talking about such things as Comfort Drive etc.
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 02:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncnavy2000 View Post
From a reliability standpoint, keep in mind all Newmar coaches are built on the same production line. The King Aire is not necessarily better quality than the lower line coaches, but has significantly better fit/finish and features.

The 2014 was a major year, with the introduction of the (16) house batteries and (2) inverter setup. Both of these coaches are likely needing new batteries soon, which will be significant given the number of them.

I believe both of those years have the ISX 600 engine. Earlier years had the 650, which has had very costly problems for some coaches. If the earlier one has the 650, personally I would avoid. The 600 seems pretty bullet proof, and will far outlast the coach.

A plus of these coaches is they have the K3GT chassis (now coined the K4), which was dropped after the 16 model year. I believe that chassis is significantly better than the K3, even accounting for what Newmar welds onto it after the fact.

Thanks so much. This is EXACTLY the kind of info I was looking for about these models. Could you tell me what years, if any, that are better or worse ?
Old 07-18-2020, 06:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguyintx View Post
Thanks so much. This is EXACTLY the kind of info I was looking for about these models. Could you tell me what years, if any, that are better or worse ?
Glad that was helpful. I'm not aware of any model years to stay away from with the King Aire. The 14 and 15 specifically are very similar, as the 14 was such a major year of changes there was little updated in 15. '16 was the next big year, with the introduction of the HWH full wall slide with tile, and the 'cathedral ceiling' in the rear master bath. 17 was another major change, as they dropped the K3GT and downgraded to the K3. Given the similarities between the 14s and 15s, I'd base the decision between these two coaches purely based on condition of each unit.
Old 07-19-2020, 12:15 PM   #9

Stay away from Cummins 650... bad engine, I'm told.
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 06:35 PM   #10

Thx for that information

Tags
purchase