Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2020, 07:48 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Questions and thoughts on insurance

Well, as I approach the end of my first year of ownership it's time to renew the insurance. It went up a couple of hundred dollars, not the end of the world.

Now, I'm a believer that insurance is for catastrophic events. For our cars we normally run a $2,500 deductible.

Well, for some reason on the coach I only got $1,000 deductible, so guess I'm going to raise that this year.

I guess my biggest question is glass coverage. What does a windshield replacement cost on these things? Do I need glass coverage?
tim5055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2020, 07:53 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
3 years ago the L.H. Windshield cost $1200 installed on ours.

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 07:58 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Mine is a one piece and cost +$2K 10 years ago.

Do a search for laws regarding glass coverage, some states require insurance to cover at no cost.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 12:17 PM   #4

Mine was replaced last year for no cost in South Carolina, as it and several other states have zero deductible for glass. However, I saw the bill to the insurance company and it was $5,200.
Old 08-15-2020, 07:45 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Mine is a one piece and cost +$2K 10 years ago.

Do a search for laws regarding glass coverage, some states require insurance to cover at no cost.

Yea, North Carolina is not a mandatory glass coverage state. But, I'm sure event he states that it is included, the "price" is built into the premium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfredm View Post
Mine was replaced last year for no cost in South Carolina, as it and several other states have zero deductible for glass. However, I saw the bill to the insurance company and it was $5,200.
Thanks, that was the basic number I was looking for.
Old 08-15-2020, 07:59 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Glass replacement in states where it's not required by law, falls under your Comprehensive. You can set your Comprehensive portion of your insurance at any deductible you want. After we chipped our first DP window 17 years ago, I changed my Comprehensive to $100 deductible. Two years ago when we bought our 2019, rates were high on a new coach, so I set the Comprehensive at $500.00 to save some money.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:08 PM   #7

Deductible

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
Well, as I approach the end of my first year of ownership it's time to renew the insurance. It went up a couple of hundred dollars, not the end of the world.

Now, I'm a believer that insurance is for catastrophic events. For our cars we normally run a $2,500 deductible.

Well, for some reason on the coach I only got $1,000 deductible, so guess I'm going to raise that this year.

I guess my biggest question is glass coverage. What does a windshield replacement cost on these things? Do I need glass coverage?
About your coach deductible...if it’s financed, check with your lender. Bank of America would only allow a 1,000 deductible. Got a letter from them after I had raised my deductible to $2,500 and had to lower it back to $1,000.
JJS707787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:47 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Keep the glass coverage. Shop around and if you belong to any clubs, shop through them. By doing that I cut my upcoming bill in half for the same coverage.
tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 04:38 AM   #9

Don’t know if you have a one or two piece windshield, but a one piece can be very pricy. A simple call to your ins agent or company should inform you what coverage you need to get glass covered and any deductible. Here in the “real“ Carolina if you have comp there is no deduct for glass.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 04:41 AM   #10
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would keep the full glass coverage.

In 40,000 miles we got hit three times with a rock. The first two were repairable. I did not file a claim for the repairs. The third rock hit hard and as we were on the phone calling Safelite, the crack went across the windshield. We were told that the new windshield would be about $3200. At the time we were Florida residents and had full glass coverage. Had it fixed at our Newmar dealer in Michigan and never even saw the bill.

We are now Ohio residents and can't get separate full glass coverage. The agent said glass is covered by comprehensive.
Old 08-16-2020, 06:36 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not wanting to hijack this thread, but since it is questions about insurance, I just got a 2002 Mountain Aire. I’m hoping to put plates on it in a couple weeks (doing renovations and repairs now), so I’ll be shopping for insurance in the very near future. We live in MD, which is a state that doesn’t require glass coverage, but I think that would be an important part of the coverage along with roadside assistance/towing for an older rig. I currently don’t belong to any RV associations or clubs. Anyone out there willing to suggest which companies or club plans would be reasonable to explore.
dgapilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 06:54 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
Not wanting to hijack this thread, but since it is questions about insurance, I just got a 2002 Mountain Aire. I’m hoping to put plates on it in a couple weeks (doing renovations and repairs now), so I’ll be shopping for insurance in the very near future. We live in MD, which is a state that doesn’t require glass coverage, but I think that would be an important part of the coverage along with roadside assistance/towing for an older rig. I currently don’t belong to any RV associations or clubs. Anyone out there willing to suggest which companies or club plans would be reasonable to explore.

Well, for roadside assistance/towing I wouldn't look at anything other than Coach Net.

I have all my insurance thru USAA and for RV's they use Progressive. I have called several others but it seems the most I can save is a couple hundred dollars so I'm sticking with them.

Tags
insurance