Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2022, 09:50 AM   #1

Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Quieter water pump?

I'm shortly going to install the third water pump. I have searched and couldn't find a thread that addressed the loud hammering that the OEM pump makes. It can wake the dead. I know several of you have swapped out pumps for something different. I want something that is quieter.
Shurflo 4048-153-E75 4GPM

I want something that won't require a bunch of re-plumbing. I have the macerator so things are real tight.

2019 Dutch Star 4369

Suggestions?

TIA,

John
Johninar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2022, 10:52 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Suspicion is that the pump is NOT the issue, more leaning to a loose PEX pipe or reinforced hose that jumps around with the pump cycles, and pipe is hitting something? I have seen PICS of trailer under-bodies where skin pulled, and owner found long run of piping with big sags, where NOT properly attached/ anchored. The OTHER problem this causes is big WATER TRAPS, where water remains/retained, not properly gravity draining, when WINTERIZING. LET Pump run, rattle, and TRY to FIND where it is hammering? Good Luck.
Old 11-16-2022, 11:02 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here is what I installed to replace an 18 year old SHURflo pump.
Added the accumulator and moved it out to a much more serviceable location.
This one is very quiet.

Mike in Colorado
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220417_121556130_HDR.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	241.6 KB
ID:	381030  
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 11:16 AM   #4

I installed a variable speed water pump and all cycling and water hammering are gone and very quiet.
UMXHAULER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 11:28 AM   #5

Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMXHAULER View Post
I installed a variable speed water pump and all cycling and water hammering are gone and very quiet.
What brand/model pump did you use?
Old 11-16-2022, 12:42 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Here is what I installed on my last three DP's, including my two Dutch Stars. It's expensive, but they're quiet and variable speed. It also pumps 5.0 gpm.

On my 2019 DS, I left the original pump in place, up on the sidewall. I wired the old and new pump with identical wire spades so I could use the old one in an emergency. I mounted the new one on the floor of the bay in the left rear corner and there was sufficient hose from the old pump to reach the new pump.

Lastly, if you do have a specific spot that you're hearing the pump run/hammer, like under the bathroom sink, you need to make sure the hoses are secure and not banging against a cabinet wall.

https://www.amazon.com/Flojet-R44261...4-dc28e6d374b3
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 01:22 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yikes!!!
Mine was $200.00 less than Amazon's and pumps 5.5GPM and is stone quiet.
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Old 11-16-2022, 06:41 PM   #8

My best solution where I've had a lot of pump noise in the coach is to remove all mounting screws from any wall panel or bracket and just let the pump basically hang free not touching anything except the two hoses. The first pump was mounted to the floor, so I removed all the screws and put a foam pad under it. The secured water lines kept it in place. The second one I had noise from was mounted on a side wall panel, I removed all the screws and suspended it from the ceiling of the bay with nylon straps.

Water knock in the hoses when the pump starts, and stops is something else you'll have to look for if you have that.
Old 11-16-2022, 09:25 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
This is the one I installed in my last coach (variable speed). Planning in doing the same on the new coach. Very quiet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	213067EC-D52C-4E2A-A19D-CCBBFA67A35E.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	300.2 KB
ID:	381062  
Mighty_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 06:16 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninar View Post
I'm shortly going to install the third water pump. I have searched and couldn't find a thread that addressed the loud hammering that the OEM pump makes. It can wake the dead. I know several of you have swapped out pumps for something different. I want something that is quieter.
Shurflo 4048-153-E75 4GPM

I want something that won't require a bunch of re-plumbing. I have the macerator so things are real tight.

2019 Dutch Star 4369

Suggestions?

TIA,

John
With a 2019 model I would suggest you allow Newmar to address your issue. Be willing to bet it’s not your water pump but rather a defective vent or a loose OVC pipe(s) in your system.
Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 08:49 AM   #11

To the OP, I use the same pump as DS Don. I think his wet bay layout is a little different than ours. I did not have room to leave the old one installed because of the space you need for your rv sanicon hose. I had to relocate the new pump down lower and out a little on the same side panel as the original pump. All hoses mount up fine to the new pump. I installed crimp on spade terminals on both the old pump for a back up and the new pump. I know that they claim you can adjust the OE pump so it does not pulsate but don't know many who are successful in doing this properly. During most water flow usage the variable speed pump is almost silent. About the only time you can hear it, is when you flush a toilet or have more than two water source demands going at the same time and absolutely no pulsing. I imagine cost is the reason most OE manufactures do not use the variable speed. Oops, just noticed you have a 2019, thus you may be able to mount two pumps like Don did.
UMXHAULER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 09:30 AM   #12

Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMXHAULER View Post
To the OP, I use the same pump as DS Don. I think his wet bay layout is a little different than ours. I did not have room to leave the old one installed because of the space you need for your rv sanicon hose. I had to relocate the new pump down lower and out a little on the same side panel as the original pump. All hoses mount up fine to the new pump. I installed crimp on spade terminals on both the old pump for a back up and the new pump. I know that they claim you can adjust the OE pump so it does not pulsate but don't know many who are successful in doing this properly. During most water flow usage the variable speed pump is almost silent. About the only time you can hear it, is when you flush a toilet or have more than two water source demands going at the same time and absolutely no pulsing. I imagine cost is the reason most OE manufactures do not use the variable speed. Oops, just noticed you have a 2019, thus you may be able to mount two pumps like Don did.
I haze zip for space. Last time I had to move the macerator pump just to get to the water pump. Thanks
Old 11-17-2022, 02:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer15015 View Post
Yikes!!!
Mine was $200.00 less than Amazon's and pumps 5.5GPM and is stone quiet.
Can you tell us a little more about the pump you bought?

thanks for your input..
Safe travels and all the best
1stimerveer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 03:00 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is very similar to the one I bought.
This page is from Amazon today, so pricing is accurate.

Mike in Colorado
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	img353.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	381098  

Tags
pump, quiet, water, water pump