Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2016, 09:34 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quilt fix? Newmar default

If someone wanted to keep & use their Newmar supplied quilt, could the backing be tacked on by hand? It sags, stretches, and hangs oddly unless you tuck it precisely right.

I could use some quilter or hand sewer advice. Should I just tack it at the top pattern seam corners and in even increments along the seams?

Anyone done this? My concern is that I could make it worse...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9145.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	270.0 KB
ID:	143772  
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2016, 11:03 AM   #2

Stripe34...DW is a quilter, so I handed my iPad to her. Please see her response below:

I would first lay it out on a flat surface (not the bed) and try and smooth it out to how you would like it. If that works, you can pin or baste it in place, then you could tack it by the seams if you want to try that. If it were me, I would take the backing apart from the top, lay them down how you want (smoothed out), baste in place the starting from the center with a hoop, quilt or just independently tack areas. As you fill that hoop space, remove it and put the next closest area in. Move the hoop from the center out. That way you won't have puckering areas. I come from a background of hand quilting. Now more people do machine quilting if you would rather do that you just would move to the machine instead of the hoop.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 11:16 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ty blaster & mrs blaster! I will try it out. No machine so I'll have to do it by hand :-)
Old 11-07-2016, 11:26 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
If you are at a RV park see if they have a ping pong table, remove the net and you will be able to stretch out your quilt on a flat surface. If no ping pong table use a clean section of floor. Then smooth it starting from the center as previously mentioned and pin it. At that point you can either hand or machine sew it.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 11:39 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
If you are at a RV park see if they have a ping pong table, remove the net and you will be able to stretch out your quilt on a flat surface. If no ping pong table use a clean section of floor. Then smooth it starting from the center as previously mentioned and pin it. At that point you can either hand or machine sew it.
Ty!! I was pondering how to flatten it enough - was thinking of a picnic table covered with clean sheets, but figured I'd get it too dirty.

Which brings up another thread topic - it's labeled "dry clean only"
Old 11-07-2016, 02:34 PM   #6

We dry cleaned ours with great results. I read on the forum that someone else had a problem with dry cleaning their quilt. Don't know if we were lucky or they were unlucky.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 02:35 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our Newmar quilts always round up under the bed DW always liked to buy a colorful quilt maybe from AMISH COUNTRY with matching pillow shames, just remember to lift quilt bottom of bed before closing the slide.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar