Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2018, 11:05 AM   #1

Rain conditions with Girard 2000 awnings?

I've read a number of posts about leaving the Girard 2000 awnings out in the rain, the prevailing view seems to be to bring the awnings in when it rains. Today it started to rain and I left our awnings out for about an hour. The rain was light to medium throughout the hour and there was no wind. The water continuously drained off the awnings and there was never any pooling.

I recognize the safest thing to do is always bring them in when it rains, that is what I have been doing. However, it was very nice having a dry area today and I wonder if I am being unnecessarily cautious with lightish rain.

Are there owners with the Girard 2000 awnings that leave them out for extended periods of time in light and medium rains?
Gonna_Wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2018, 12:04 PM   #2

I am only responding because no one else did but after RVing for 35 years I would not hesitate to leave the awning out with no wind even though I have never owned one and am sure there are others that would.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 12:10 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I left mine extended in the rain, and was horrified to see a huge belly hanging full of water. Was afraid any moment the awning will collapse. Pushed from underneath with the long brush and dumped some of the water. But from now on I will be watching closely for rain, so I don’t leave them extended.
Buly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 12:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buly View Post
I left mine extended in the rain, and was horrified to see a huge belly hanging full of water. Was afraid any moment the awning will collapse. Pushed from underneath with the long brush and dumped some of the water. But from now on I will be watching closely for rain, so I don’t leave them extended.

Ditto ... you only need to see it once. I can only imagine the weight of the water that was leveraged 8 ft. out from the roof. NEVER doin' that again !!

Conversely, we had a conventional Carefree on our older Endeavor and never saw a problem (as long as it was pitched correctly).
Old 08-30-2018, 12:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buly View Post

X2

It only takes once. Rain can become a downpour quickly.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 12:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
X2

It only takes once. Rain can become a downpour quickly.

... and no matter how fast you react, it's a painful experience watching the slooooow retract .... and hoping the "elbows" don't punch thru the fabric ...
Old 08-30-2018, 12:35 PM   #7

We've left ours out in a light rain. Sometimes it's nice to sit outside under the awning in a light rain. We bring them in if it's a moderate to heavy rain or windy.
Blondiega1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 12:46 PM   #8

I recently broke one of the three arms because of pooling. Installed the replacement last weekend. Lesson learned
Old 08-30-2018, 12:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondiega1 View Post
We've left ours out in a light rain. Sometimes it's nice to sit outside under the awning in a light rain. We bring them in if it's a moderate to heavy rain or windy.

We routinely sat under the conventional Carefree in a light rain .... we really miss it.
Old 08-30-2018, 12:59 PM   #10

Perhaps we are not as informed as the other posters here. I assume the Girrard is powered. I also surmise that the arms extend and contract in unison thus maintaining the extended end (where the roller is) level to the ground. This is why the water pools. We have a mechanical awning and have been thinking about the convenience of a motorized awning. We are now reconsidering that. With a mechanical awning, we slightly lower one side so the water will run off and thus minimizing the chances of accumulation. Is there such a thing as a motorized awning that allows lowering one side or the other to prevent accumulation?
Old 08-30-2018, 01:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggwn View Post
Perhaps we are not as informed as the other posters here. I assume the Girrard is powered. I also surmise that the arms extend and contract in unison thus maintaining the extended end (where the roller is) level to the ground. This is why the water pools. We have a mechanical awning and have been thinking about the convenience of a motorized awning. We are now reconsidering that. With a mechanical awning, we slightly lower one side so the water will run off and thus minimizing the chances of accumulation. Is there such a thing as a motorized awning that allows lowering one side or the other to prevent accumulation?

Doesn't have anything to do with whether it is electrical.

The Girard style is horizontal arms .... they extend in the same plane as the ground or roof line. They have no support in a vertical plane. Although slightly adjustable, it's fixed and very limited.

https://www.girardrv.com/products/g-...nt=14309327750

Old 08-30-2018, 02:56 PM   #12

I agree with bruceisla, these awnings aren't really made for rain or wind just calm sunny days, for the price they should engineer a way for these things to be usable in rain -its an awning!!
Good news is the sensors will usually retract it before you get in bad trouble with wind, wouldn't totally depend on it but so far it has always detracted for me on those unexpected storms...
Old 09-02-2018, 01:37 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I’ve left my Gerard awnings out several times during light to moderate rain.
I also have them slightly tilted from the front to the back, both awnings
Every time the water that accumulates simply drains off the back
No problem
Old 09-02-2018, 02:30 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
We routinely sat under the conventional Carefree in a light rain .... we really miss it.

The advantages of the conventional Carefree is you can adjust the side to side slope, Girard is a different animal
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning