Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2017, 11:51 AM   #1

Rainwater in compartment

I have a 2016 Newmar model 3914. At present, I have it in storage and check on it every few days for any problems. In the last couple of weeks, we have had two rain storms come through the area, and after each storm I'm noticing that somehow rain water is getting in the first bay compartment on the passenger side ( first bay next to the steps). There is no rain water coming in the coach itself immediately above the compartment. It would appear that rain water is coming down the side of the coach and somehow getting past the door seal and filling the interior. I slightly extended the power awning this morning out a couple of feet to try to keep water off that side, so we will see if that helps. Anybody else with this issue ? My guess is that I need new rubber gasket around the compartment door. Any suggestions?
BigCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2017, 12:41 PM   #2

It sounds like your basement door isn't sealing tight enough- clean the seal all the way around with Aerospace 303, adjust the latch inward a little until you have to push against door to latch it. Try the old $1 bill test- along the top edge - close it several times with the $1 bill at different spots - it should a little hard to pull the $1 bill out when latched- if not - adjust latch inward more.

I assume your storage is not under roof?

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 03:56 PM   #3

Thanks for the advice. I will try adjusting the latches tomorrow morning when I visit the RV in storage. Of course, I'm going to have to wait for the next rain storm to test.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:54 AM   #4

Aerospace 303

Capt 303: I google up Aerospace 303 and I noted several varieties within the product line. Can you tell me what is says on the can ? Specific application ?
Old 07-01-2017, 07:18 AM   #5

Read the labels for application guidance.
Aerospace Protectant is great for protecting plastics and rubber from UV damage.
Diamond Shield coatings on some MH front ends recommends 303 Protectant...side benefit is bugs come off a lot easier.
303 Fabric Guard a good water repellant treatment for acrylic awnings...note this is meant for fabrics and shouldn't be used in vinyl coated awnings...for those use the 303 Aerospece Protectant
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 11:44 AM   #6

Update #1

Did three things: Adjusted door latch so that door is held tighter, cleaned out the rain gutter on the door side of coach. Discovered a small dirt dam in gutter and removed. Extended awning out approx two feet to help prevent rainwater from hitting side of coach. As if on cue, we had a torrential rainstorm last night. Checked coach first thing this morning. Much, much less water in compartment, but still a measurable amount. My lovely wife noticed deteriorated caulking just above compartment door. Next step is to get some clear caulking from hardware store and plug that area. I will update this thread as to the outcome.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:58 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I was going to suggest the floor level strip there should be sealant on top of the berm so water cannot get behind it and into the compartment, that should not be happening on fairly new coach unless coach is in a lot of hot sun.
Maybe wise to check some of the other seal area's the roof wrap radius between the front and rear caps and sidewall, windows, vertical seams for dryness of sealants.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 03:51 PM   #8

007: I'm unsure as to where this floor level/ berm is located. Any pics ?
Old 07-03-2017, 09:06 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Its the metal strip just above your compartment doors it runs the lenth of your coach at floor level, the sealant maybe painted along the top of metal strip.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:11 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the same rig and the same issue.... I have yet to solve it 100% but I slowed a lot of it down. After looking at the end of the slide closest to the entry door I noticed the vertical seal was not sitting on top/overlapping the horizontal seal in fact it looked a tad shorter than the other slide seals on the rig. Since I could not stretch or move the seal I sealed the area with black silicone and a good portion of the issue went away although I still get some water but not nearly the amount I was before. I was looking at the area again yesterday and it appears the water is somehow pooling on the top of the compartment door running down the inside, hitting the lower seal, and tracking inside the compartment. I made an adjustment to the upper seal above the door as it seemed to be catching on the door when it closed and was unseated from the bottom of the berm. It is raining as I'm typing this so I am curious if the compartment will be dry in the am....
Rbert2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:52 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My dealer put his GoPro camera in the bay to watch for leaks while spraying the coach with a hose.

I have a different model coach and the leaks only occurred when the slide was out so the fix for my problem will not apply.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 12:40 AM   #12

Thanks to all. Waiting for next rain storm to see if my corrections worked.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:32 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbert2013 View Post
I have the same rig and the same issue.... I have yet to solve it 100% but I slowed a lot of it down. After looking at the end of the slide closest to the entry door I noticed the vertical seal was not sitting on top/overlapping the horizontal seal in fact it looked a tad shorter than the other slide seals on the rig. Since I could not stretch or move the seal I sealed the area with black silicone and a good portion of the issue went away although I still get some water but not nearly the amount I was before. I was looking at the area again yesterday and it appears the water is somehow pooling on the top of the compartment door running down the inside, hitting the lower seal, and tracking inside the compartment. I made an adjustment to the upper seal above the door as it seemed to be catching on the door when it closed and was unseated from the bottom of the berm. It is raining as I'm typing this so I am curious if the compartment will be dry in the am....

Update: Not sure how you made out but I recently readjusted the upper seal above the door as the right corner was dislodged again (see pic). We just had 1/2" of rain over night and I didn't see one drop of water in the compartment. Going to put some silicone up there to keep the seal in place and hopefully this is the cure...
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6259.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	639.3 KB
ID:	175621
Rbert2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water