Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2021, 05:30 PM   #1

Rand McNally no longer supported?

Well isn't this just dandy. According to the Newmar 2022 coach line up posted by a dealer. One of the changes is they are going to a different NAV vendor (NavnGo, who is that) because Rand McNally in is no longer going to support the RV Nav units. So does that mean all of us that have recently bought new coaches have a boat anchor in the dash because we can't get updates? I know some owners hate Rand McNally but I happen to like it.
https://www.steinbring.com/2022-newmar-lineup
sramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2021, 06:01 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It looks like Newmar is still using the Xite system, but with different navigation software. I wonder if Riverpark will provide a new software load so folks with the Xite/RM system can upgrade. I doubt it, but it may be worth asking.
Old 04-27-2021, 05:33 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Looking at the website, it looks like it will be better than the Rand software. Any Nav system they use still has the problem of using the same monitor as the 360 cameras. I like using the cameras while driving so my last update to the Rand was to get a Garmin.
Old 04-27-2021, 07:46 AM   #4

Is this just a software change or is hardware required?
Old 04-27-2021, 10:22 AM   #5

From a Newmar announcement regarding 2022 "features and product changes":

"The optional dash radio provides a new Xite model with 6.5” monitor and NavnGo navigation system.
This unit does not provide a CD or DVD player.
The NavnGo system replaces Rand McNally navigation as Rand McNally no longer supports RV applications. The new NavnGo system does have vehicle dimension capabilities as it uses a dual CAN controller and Android based operating system with over
the air updates and uses no SIM card."
GeoNan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 02:29 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by sramer View Post
One of the changes is they are going to a different NAV vendor (NavnGo, who is that)
Given the lack of support that we have received for our "lifetime" Rand McNally maps, I figured I'd do a little research to see if we would be any better off with the new "NavnGo" navigation system.

The first thing that I found out was that NavnGo is an old name. The current name for the company is NNG. They changed their name back in 2007.

The company is headquartered in Budapest, Hungary.

They exist in the US as a Washington State company named NNG NORTH-AMERICA, INC (UBI Number:602 565 482), but the physical address on file is a residence in Dexter, Michigan and their annual filings use the home address for a company admin person that lives in Surprise, AZ. All of this is public record.

My point is that it appears that "NavnGo" is a company in Hungary with little to no US presence. Given how much I wasted on the Xite system in my 2018 MADP, I would think twice about including the product in another motorhome. My RV Garmin works much better.

I obviously haven't used the "NavnGo" system and thus cannot comment on how good or bad the product is. Buy given that Rand McNally has left us high and dry, I will not repeat the mistake, if and when I purchase another coach.

This is the information that I gathered from my searches. While I believe this information to be correct, please feel free to correct me if you have better intel.
flyboy013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 03:14 PM   #7

Anout damn time., RM system has never been very good and their service is worse. And the rest of the Xite system isn’t much better. I think it’s mostly due to their operating system which seems to be pretty old school. I finally tossed my factory Xite onto a shelf in the garage, bought a mid level Kenwood and put my Garmin atop the dash. Much better! But the idea of an integrated system still appeals. Just needs to be executed better.
Old 04-28-2021, 07:11 AM   #8

I have a coach pickup end of May and talked to Newmar about this. Seems the information passed along by steinbring wasn't framed with context or was outright miss quoted. Rand will no longer have an RV solution in their product roadmap but will still be supporting the product they have out there. Map updates will continue to include attributes like bridge height, weight, etc...

Anyways that's the story I got
Cory2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 03:37 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory2 View Post
Rand will no longer have an RV solution in their product roadmap but will still be supporting the product they have out there. Map updates will continue to include attributes like bridge height, weight, etc...
Not sure what that support will include. They haven't provided an update in at least 18 months. I've come across several updated interchanges that have long since been completed (no sign of recent construction, grass covered hills, etc) but the RM systems still shows the old intersections. Fortunately, I have also have a RV Garmin and it is up to date.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/cur...ml#post5728422

I wish I knew how to decipher the map version information so that I knew how old the maps really are.
Old 04-29-2021, 03:38 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Looking at info mentioned in NIRVC’s new video I found this

https://www.naviextras.com/shop/portal/devicessupport

It’s a long list of supported TomTom devices and if you scroll down you’ll see Xite systems listed. I’ve sent an email to Riverpark about this but no answer yet (2-days). I’ll report back when I hear something.
Old 04-29-2021, 03:45 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I’ve sent an email to Riverpark about this but no answer yet (2-days).
I sent Riverpark an email 3 days ago about their RM support. I'm also still waiting.
Old 04-30-2021, 06:46 AM   #12

Quote:

It’s a long list of supported TomTom devices and if you scroll down you’ll see Xite systems listed. I’ve sent an email to Riverpark about this but no answer yet (2-days). I’ll report back when I hear something.
I called Riverpark the day I posted this on the 26th and they played dumb. Followed up with an email the same day and no answer.
Old 04-30-2021, 01:51 PM   #13

Quote:

Interesting and thanks for the research. I went in and set up an account and my Xite model number is listed but I'm a little hesitant to try the update. Any word from Riverpark yet.
Old 06-23-2021, 04:02 PM   #14

Count us as interested. Frustrating to drive on a highway that Rand McNally does not know it exist.
KenneysSeeAm is offline   Reply With Quote