Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2022, 04:26 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Rand McNally - One Final Map Update

Just received this via email:

Quote:
Dear Rand McNally RV GPS Customers,

Well, we've almost reached our destination.

Your in-dash RV navigation software is eligible for a map update, which we're very happy to get to you in advance of the summer travel season. Unfortunately, as RV navigation updates have become more data-heavy and technically complex over the years, this will be the last update for your device. Please see below for installation instructions.

We will continue to support your RV navigation software via the Rand McNally Dock, which will allow you to download and install the updated map data. Additional services via the Dock will remain operational, such as the Repair function. For additional support, please visit our Support Center.

We've enjoyed traveling with you and wish you much happiness down the road.

Sincerely,
Rand McNally
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2022, 05:26 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I stopped using mine when it directed me to four 10' 2" railroad bridges in Hoboken NJ on route to Liberty Harbor RV Park, at 5pm on a Friday..
Old 04-06-2022, 06:02 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Interesting coincidence. I just today downloaded the RM Dock program and updated my software. The unit still tells me my maps are over a year old.
Old 04-06-2022, 06:47 PM   #4

Just got a new Garmin 1090. It takes less time to learn how to use this new GPS than to figure out how to update the Rand system. Plus you get a real modern GPS with a quick reactive screen and leap years better detail. The RM is probably the worst thing they install in these motorhomes but we didn't have a choice, and yes I did learn how to use the RM well and it still is a POS.
UMXHAULER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 06:57 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I also use a Garmin as my primary navigation system. The RM is my backup system which I use to enter waypoints along the dayís route (rest area for lunch or fuel stop).

I just installed the latest firmware and maps. Reinstalled the card and it told me that the maps were over a year old. As I had to do previously, I deleted the navi configuration file and reinstalled the card. The warning is gone.

The maps appear to have been updated based on relatively new streets nearby, but Iím not positive that those streets were missing for the previous map database.

One of these days Iíll pull the unit out and replace with something more modern.
Old 04-06-2022, 07:08 PM   #6

Flyboy, I have thought about removing the RM system but the problem as I see it is that head unit also works our camera system. Do you know of a way to operate our cameras if that system is removed? The Garmin 1090 has voice control and interfaces nicely with our cell phones so those issues are taken care of.
Old 04-07-2022, 10:43 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMXHAULER View Post
I have thought about removing the RM system but the problem as I see it is that head unit also works our camera system. Do you know of a way to operate our cameras if that system is removed?
Some have replaced their unit with a Kenwood DNX775RVS. This unit includes a Garmin RV navigation system and according to the feature list includes: Two camera inputs for front and rear cameras. A rear view camera can be used for the front as it has the ability to reverse the image.. Crutchfield has this unit in stock at a price of $1,699.99.

Others have installed the what I believe is the predecessor of the Kenwood DNX997XR. It has navigation system, but not RV specific. As a secondary navigation unit for plotting stops along the way, it's probably fine. It but does include 4 Camera Inputs / HD Rear Camera Ready. This unit is $1,549.99 at Crutchfield, but is currently out of stock.
Old 04-07-2022, 04:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy013 View Post
Some have replaced their unit with a Kenwood DNX775RVS. This unit includes a Garmin RV navigation system and according to the feature list includes: Two camera inputs for front and rear cameras. A rear view camera can be used for the front as it has the ability to reverse the image.. Crutchfield has this unit in stock at a price of $1,699.99.

Others have installed the what I believe is the predecessor of the Kenwood DNX997XR. It has navigation system, but not RV specific. As a secondary navigation unit for plotting stops along the way, it's probably fine. It but does include 4 Camera Inputs / HD Rear Camera Ready. This unit is $1,549.99 at Crutchfield, but is currently out of stock.
So would I lose the 360 camera functions and turn signal camera functions with the Kenwood set up?
Old 04-07-2022, 05:56 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I think the camera capability would still work. See this thread.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/xit...ay-452147.html
Old 04-07-2022, 06:09 PM   #10

As a owner of a late build 21 and who asked to pay for the upgrade to the new system that is now on the 22ís and was told NO by Newmar this is incredibly frustrating. I too use the Garmin 1080 and it great. Newmar if you are reading this forum, which you should be. Please sell me the new Unit to plug in and replace my aging out of date system. It just canít be that hard.
AZRVR17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 06:13 AM   #11

I was told by Xite/RiverPark about 6 months ago that there would be one final free update then Rand McNally would charge from that point on for the updates. I was not happy with that given many of us were told the system came with lifetime updates but I was willing not to fight that.

If Iím reading the original post correctly, it says we are going to get one final update and then in essence our systems become obsolete. For those of us with newer coaches with the larger screens you canít just yank them out and replace with an aftermarket unit. I understand planned obsolescence but on newer coaches, some less than a year old and now the navigation systems are obsolete, thatís completely unacceptable.

Like the system or not, (I guess I am a rare bird because I like it) If Newmar, River Park and Rand McNally donít do something to continue the updates or upgrade our systems to the new NAV and Go theyíre using in the 2022s it should be class action lawsuit time.

Furthermore, this is a unit that our coaches were built with and is considered part of the build not aftermarket. This could be a real safety hazard and a report to the NTSB would seem to be in order also.
sramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 04:16 PM   #12

Just downloaded the latest update and noticed two curious things.
1) While still plugged into the Dock, under subscriptions where before it read "Lifetime Updates", now it just says I have latest update.
2) I had to update all my coach parameters once I reinserted the card into excite head unit. Things like coach height, weight, # of propane bottles, and warning distances.

All this comes under the heading of buyer beware.
Old 04-10-2022, 10:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewlee View Post
Just downloaded the latest update and noticed two curious things.
1) While still plugged into the Dock, under subscriptions where before it read "Lifetime Updates", now it just says I have latest update.
2) I had to update all my coach parameters once I reinserted the card into excite head unit. Things like coach height, weight, # of propane bottles, and warning distances.

All this comes under the heading of buyer beware.
I had the same problem of it wiping out all the coach data but also when I boot it back up in the dash Iím still getting the message that the map is out of date and over one year old. I put the SD card back in the dock it says there is no longer an update. Just curious, did that warning go away on your unit. Not sure if I have an updated map or not.
sramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 11:29 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just out of curiosity could someone that has successfully downloaded the map update enter a route from Las Vegas, NV, to Phoenix, AZ, and see if it routes you on I-11 around Boulder City, NV?
BobGed is online now   Reply With Quote