Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2018, 07:17 PM   #1

Rand McNally RV GPS

I have been using this trip planner app on my IPAD since it came out. With an upgrade to my IPad, this app no longer works. Any suggestions to something compatible?

SOLD 2013 Newmar Ventana 4346
msy4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2018, 07:14 AM   #2

Larry I’ve heard a lot of good reviews about RV TripWizard. There is a fee. Check into that. I haven’t used it, but I like what I see so far.

Mark
Old 05-04-2018, 07:36 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I use the GoodSam trip planning website. It’s made by Rand McNally. It’s not an app. Just runs from their website. The same thing is available on the Rand McNally website too.

Just use your iPad’s browser to visit the site.

http://trips.goodsam.com/
Rand McNally Driving Directions and Maps

I think you’ll need accounts and be logged in for both of these. They seem to be identical but I use the GoodSam version.

My RV has the Xite System that includes the radio, sat radio, Bluetooth, RV cams and Rand McNally GPS all in one device. I can remove the SD card from the Xite and import my complete trip from either of these websites. But you need a computer and SD card reader to do so.

I’m sure you can import a trip from them into a Rand McNally GPS device too.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:15 AM   #4
gy1

I've been using RV Trip Wizard for planning for a couple of years. I think it's the easiest and most complete trip planner that I've tried. I haven't used it for actual dashboard navigation and I don't know whether it was designed for that. To me, it's well worth the $40/yr.
gy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:50 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Yeah, RM quit supporting the iPad versions of their software a couple years back. One can only guess they wanted more hardware revenue and did not want to keep splitting the revenue with Apple.

Bummer!
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 04:25 PM   #6

I use the Goodsam trip planner and can upload this to my Rand RVND7710. From what I have seen you can no longer do this with the new tablet versions.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 05:43 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Have you looked at CoPilot RV USA?

It’s listed at the App Store for $59.99 which is 30% off for a limited time. I’m headed to Tampa on Monday, I’m going to give it a try and compare it to my RM RVND 7720. It won’t be much of a comparison, trip is 15.5 hours straight down 75 and 30 minutes on a couple surface streets. I’ll post my results after I get there.

I used the Rand McNally RV GPS app too, but like you, I upgraded my iPad and lost the app.

I’m sure as deaton pointed out above RM made a decision to chase hardware revenue. I always thought the app was an amazing deal. You could by their dash mount GPS for $350.00 or their app for $99.00. For $350.00 you got a 5” or 7” GPS that was only a GPS. With the app loaded on an iPad Pro you got a 12.9” GPS and the full function of an iPad. Someone at RM finally realized they were leaving a ton of money on the table.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 05:52 PM   #8

I'm staying with Garmin GPS, BaseCamp, and Day's End.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:12 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
I'm staying with Garmin GPS, BaseCamp, and Day's End.

I never could figure out Basecamp. I'm still using MapSource.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:13 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Update

Installed the CoPilot RV USA app. Downloaded the maps, configured the profile with my coach's info. Simple process, interface is intuitive.

Searched by POI type (campground), found my Tampa destination quickly.

Initial thoughts:
Pros
Cheap compared to stand alone GPS
Intuitive interface
Allows multiple profiles for your various vehicles
Offered 3 routing choices vs Rand McNally which only offers 2
Similar features as the old Rand McNally app
Has most of the features you would want for RV trips

Cons
Interface/appearance nowhere near as polished or finished as the old Rand McNally app

More to follow after the Tampa trip
Old 05-04-2018, 07:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Have you looked at CoPilot RV USA?

It’s listed at the App Store for $59.99 which is 30% off for a limited time. I’m headed to Tampa on Monday, I’m going to give it a try and compare it to my RM RVND 7720. It won’t be much of a comparison, trip is 15.5 hours straight down 75 and 30 minutes on a couple surface streets. I’ll post my results after I get there.

I used the Rand McNally RV GPS app too, but like you, I upgraded my iPad and lost the app.

I’m sure as deaton pointed out above RM made a decision to chase hardware revenue. I always thought the app was an amazing deal. You could by their dash mount GPS for $350.00 or their app for $99.00. For $350.00 you got a 5” or 7” GPS that was only a GPS. With the app loaded on an iPad Pro you got a 12.9” GPS and the full function of an iPad. Someone at RM finally realized they were leaving a ton of money on the table.

DW compared this app to a baby’s pacifier - she held it as we traveled and advised me as to which lane I needed to get in as we navigated through large cities. Guess i will replace it with the base model for $188. She plans all our trips on Streets and Trips on her Mac than transfer nightly destinations on Rand McNally. Getting ready to leave for an 12,000 mile trip.

SOLD 2013 Newmar Ventana 4346
msy4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:01 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Garmin RV 770 - nothing else needed!

Old 05-04-2018, 08:32 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
The OP is asking about an app (not a GPS unit) he can load on his iPad similar to the app that Rand McNally once published. Unfortunately RM stopped supporting the app a few years ago and the OP now is in search of a replacement app.

The RM app emulated their RV GPS units but was less than a 1/3 of the cost. The app was $99.00 their GPS unit was/is on average $350.00.

If you already own an iPad the app was a much better choice, had identical function and performance for less that a 1/3 of the cost plus you have all the other features offered by the iPad. Kind of a no brainer. RV GPS, email, surf the web, watch TV/Movies, listen to music, use spreadsheet to track maintenance, service, trip data etc.. all in one device.

I too own a dedicated RV GPS the RVND 7720, a great unit. The downside to dedicated GPS is it's only a GPS, always will only be a GPS. Nothing wrong with that mine is suctioned cupped down to the dash now. Now my iPad thats a different story, its in my lap as I type this reply and read the forum on with it.

Biggest difference, my GPS unit has a 5" display, newer ones are available with 7" displays, my iPad with an RV GPS app loaded on it has a 12.9" display.

Sorry for the long and somewhat redundant post but it appeared we weren't answering the OPs question and I thought it might be that his question wasn't fully understood.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:40 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Okay, I paid my $60.00 downloaded and configured the app for my rig.

Used it for 950 miles.

Compared to the Rand McNally app it’s clunky and the interface/GUI is underdeveloped. It shared several of the RM app features, did a great job of finding POIs. Like the RM app it allowed me to customize the data displayed on the map screen like ETA, miles to go, etc.. but having been spoiled by the professional look of the RM app I was left disappointed with this one.

Even though I configured my profile for weight, width, height it tried to route me over 20 miles of suburbia roads vs remaining on the interstate and finishing with 11 miles of 4 lane state route to save me 4 minutes in it’s estimation. Fortunately I know the area and avoided the bad routing.

If you are looking for an RV GPS app and are the type of person that does a,sanity check on the proposed route rather than blindly following the GPS. You can make this work.

If you already have an iPad thenthis would be a cheap alternative to buying a dedicated $300.00 RV GPS. For now I’ll be staying with my RVND 7720.

Tags
gps