RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2017, 10:44 AM   #1

Rant on deploying/bringing in Slides

I know this has been covered, but maybe not in this way.
I LOVE my 2016 DSDP 4041; however the slides scare me a lot. Every time the full wall goes out or comes in I hold my breath (it has had the slope problem fixed, which meant reinforcing the corners, etc).
Newmar Service says to check reveal, put full out on air, put down jacks and place other two out. Reverse when putting in.
My dealer says they have been instructed by Newmar to place ALL slides out and then air down and deploy jacks.

Then I read this today:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGriffin View Post
Don and Ralph -

I may end up doing that (retracting the slides if the reveal looks good and we're level). I'm just a bit shell-shocked because we brought in the bedroom slide one day and heard a "pop", then saw ball bearings flying all over the bedroom. We were on the way to Nappanee for some work. When they looked at it the tech walked over to me and said, "Please tell me that you didn't bring your slide in with the jacks extended...". I told him that I had and he replied, "Don't ever do that, okay?".

Hence my hesitation to do it.
Wouldn't it be nice if all us with the same type slides had the exact same instructions! You can't even get the same ones from the techs at Newmar and the Newmar Service department!!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2017, 11:00 AM   #2

What, they told me air down, slides out then jacks down.
Can they make up tgeir mind???

judgebobk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 11:05 AM   #3

I thought Newmar made only the finest quality products
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 11:14 AM   #4

Before you deploy any slide regardless of the jack status, check the reveal of the slide you are about to extend. The letter from Newmar states that in most cases the reveal will be best when resting on the tires. On mine I have had to retract the jacks AFTER first leveling because the reveal is not good on the FWS and/or the kitchen slide. It all depends on what parts have to be twisted when leveling. There is no one procedure that works in all situations except to check first.
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 11:52 AM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Yes, you will always worry about deploying slides, but you cant let it make you crazy. Remember, Newmar has to have a procedure for the guy who takes out a level and measures the campsite to the guy who will deploy slides with one wheel hanging off of a cliff......obviously an exaggeration, but hopefully you get the point. There procedure has to be as close to idiot proof as possible.

Sometimes, making a procedure idiot proof skips over some pretty common sense things that work well too! I've owned my coach for 3.5 years and have about 35K on it with hundreds of nights camping. Since we typically don't stay anywhere more than 2-3 nights, that's a lot of opening and closing the slides. (My coach doesn't have the STAR chassis).

I can simply look at a campsite and tell if it's going to be an issue. If I'm not sure, I'll get out and look at the reveals. If there okay, I'll put out the slides, dump and level. If one is tight, I'll either move the motor home a little or level and then check the reveal again.

To me, there is no perfect procedure for putting out the slides. Simple common sense is the best method. The more you use the coach, the easier it will be to recognize what you need to do in any particular campsite.

In the 3.5 years I've had the coach, I had one occasion (crummy and last site left) that the reveal wouldn't open up. I had to place a ramp under the left front wheel to open up the reveal. This was the most extreme step I ever took to get the coach level.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:07 PM   #6

Can someone provide instructions on how to check the reveal? Perhaps with a photo to illustrate the process?
Old 09-09-2017, 12:09 PM   #7

Rant on deploying/bringing in Slides

Are deep slides more prone to problems than shallow slides are? The 3343 New Aire we're getting has a FWS and it looks to be a shallow one, also I believe it is an electric slide. I'm wondering if this FWS will be less prone to problems because it doesn't have as far to travel as the deeper slides do.
Old 09-09-2017, 12:37 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
It would be my inclination to do exactly what the owner's manual instructs me to do.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:54 PM   #9

Sorry, don't want to de-rail the thread, newb question:

What is a 'Reveal' and wouldn't you always want the rv as level as possible before deploying a slide-out? Not sure I understand why having the jacks deployed would be detrimental to putting a slide out?

<own a class C with slides, but researching an A/DP>

thanks
YesMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkins View Post
Can someone provide instructions on how to check the reveal? Perhaps with a photo to illustrate the process?
I don't have a photo handy but it is pretty simple. When your slides (on a Newmar anyway) are closed just look at the space that is between the edges of the actual slide and the exterior of the RV. You are looking for an even reveal from L to R & T to B. If the slide looks cocked this is not ideal and being way off level is usually the cause. I have yet to see a uneven reveal on either of the two small slides but I have on the FWS as the larger the slide the more likely this can occur.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 01:34 PM   #11

Hi Newmar Rv’ers. To add my 2 cents worth in the discussion regarding extending and retracting slideouts; I copied and pasted the instructions below from Newmar’s Owner’s Manual, pages 125-126.

Before Extending the Slideouts
1. Park the coach on a reasonably level campsite.
2. Leave the coach at ride-height with air in the air bags (if equipped with air
suspension) or on normal suspension (coaches without air suspension).
3. Plug the coach into shore power (if available).
4. For a full wall slideout, visually inspect the front vertical trim for adequate
clearance. The spacing should look even from top to bottom.
5. Verify that the path of the slideout is unobstructed and free from any surrounding
objects, both inside and outside of the coach.
6. Once the appropriate conditions are met, follow the operating instructions posted
in your coach to extend the slideouts.
7. Deploy the leveling jacks.

Before Retracting the Slideouts
1. Retract the leveling jacks.
2. Start the coach.
3. Allow the coach air suspension to fill and return to ride height (units without air suspension will return to normal suspension).
4. Turn the engine off.
5. Verify that the path of the slideout is unobstructed and free from any surrounding objects, both inside and outside of the coach. This includes any water or debris that may have collected on the topper awning.
6. Retract the slideouts.
7. Inspect all slideouts for complete retraction.
8. Unplug the coach from shore power when you are ready to depart.

Simply said: Arrival: Slideouts out, levelers down. Leaving: Levelers up, Slideouts in.
TravelnFolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 01:45 PM   #12

Or as our tech told us - "slides don't move with jacks on the ground"
fegans02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 03:43 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Notice they expect a level site before putting out the slides. What happens when the site is NOT level?

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 04:04 PM   #14

KWilkins
To explain
what a reveal is the slide on our Newmar's are flush to the sides, there is a gap between the slide and the side. Instead of using a simple word as gap they chose to use reveal which has confused a bunch of us in the beginning. I have found that if I have a level site the gap up and down seem to be even. If the sides are even the top and bottom should be also. If not you can dump the air and check it then if not level it and check. Only the full wall will give you much trouble getting them equal. Hope this helps

Tags
slide