Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2007, 11:56 AM   #1

Do most motorhomes and especially those with multiple slides,have rattles and squeaks when motoring on older concrete interstates? Our unit is a pre-owned 05 DSDP with 12,000 mi.. We've changed the front tires to Michelin 305's and are able to run at 105 psi cold and they seem to improve the ride but we continue to get more noise in the coach than we expected. "Noise" being slidelock arms, misc. squeaks in the overhead TV area, etc. and not from kitchen items and bric-a-brac.. Windnoise is surprisingly nil after we taped over the passenger window weep holes. We can survive with the "noise" but don't like it. "Misery loves company", I guess, hence the above question! Thanks --
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2007, 11:56 AM   #2

Do most motorhomes and especially those with multiple slides,have rattles and squeaks when motoring on older concrete interstates? Our unit is a pre-owned 05 DSDP with 12,000 mi.. We've changed the front tires to Michelin 305's and are able to run at 105 psi cold and they seem to improve the ride but we continue to get more noise in the coach than we expected. "Noise" being slidelock arms, misc. squeaks in the overhead TV area, etc. and not from kitchen items and bric-a-brac.. Windnoise is surprisingly nil after we taped over the passenger window weep holes. We can survive with the "noise" but don't like it. "Misery loves company", I guess, hence the above question! Thanks --
Old 08-13-2007, 12:20 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome bontemp to irv2.
If you lock slide bars they shouldn't rattle but they will.
You can remove them and hammer the pivot point not to hard just enough to close the pivit U joint. Some have also tighten the brakets on wall and slide and some have just stuff a pillow behind it.
The TV may require some more foam stuffed between wall of box and TV. There may also be a black plate on floor of box that a couple of screws have loosend up that you could tighten. This metal plate is screwed to bottom of TV but to tighten them you have to remove TV.
If your locking slides you will have a tighter slide to rubber seal and save the seal from rubbing a hole or slit in seal.
Enjoy the Newmar forum and do post often.
If you want to be a member just ask for some KARMA.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:42 PM   #4

I believe any hung-wall constructed motorhome will potentially have more squeaks and rattles than a well built laminated sidewall coach. Newmar has had the overhead TV squeak and rattle issue for years, as well as squeaky floors due to their all wood stringer construction. A laminated floor and/or aluminum or steel frame floor is usually quieter.

I have driven brands that were laminated that also squeaked and rattled, but more universally, it's the hung sidewall coaches that are more prone to it, such as any Monaco built coach using the Holiday Rambler hung sidewall construction that Newmar brought their sidewall construction from.

I lost some Newmar motorhome sales due to
test drives on lousy California roads, it was
especially irritating when this would happen on
an Essex test drive. However, I have driven many Newmar's that were pretty noise free and
feel like the thicker, better insulated, fully
framed, more direct wired sidewall construction
has its benefits. Besides the obvious better
insulation properties, it can't delaminate and
I like that every window is framed instead of
floating.

I do find that the coaches with larger tires running pressures at lower PSI ride better and
make less noise.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:55 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Jeff, thanks for the very interesting post. I believe I read in another post you were/are a RV sales person. Since Newmar and Monaco use "hung-wall" construction, what are some of the manufacturers that use the "laminated sidewall" construction? I have a Safari built coach - before Monaco moved production to Indiana, and do not have any noticable squeeks and rattles, unless the highway is "REALLY ROUGH". I am curious as to what the major manufacturers use. Tiffin? Winne? Alpine? National? Fleetwood? Is there a cost difference between the two types of walls? I have seen some post about wall de-lamination, but most of the coaches were older coaches - Pre 2000. My original TREK had aluminum sidewalls and was problematic about corrosion under the paint around steel fastners (dis-similar metals). I think now almost all class A coaches are fiberglass walls. I am guessing the cost of aluminum now is prohibitive to use in wall and roof construction.

Best to you, Glenn.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:44 PM   #6

Glenn,

I am no longer in RV sales. Aluminum is still used by some lower end gas coaches, it is cheaper than gelcoat fiberglass, though not as cheap as Filon fiberglass. Safari used aluminum sidewalls, Torsalastic suspension and Alderwood cabinets to save money. All Monaco brand hung
sidewall coaches used to have two-piece aluminum roofs to....you guessed it, save money(and weight).

As far as laminated sidewall coaches, that would
be ALL DP's except Newmar and some Monacos. The
fact that virtually all highline coaches use
laminated sidewalls with steel framing vs. laminated sidewalls with aluminum or hung sidewalls with aluminum, tells me that the former is more expensive. Newmar's all wood floor is pretty inexpensive compared to a laminated or multi-layer steel or aluminum framed floor. Insulation properties are good though.

I've sold National, Newmar, Safari, Winnebago,
Fleetwood, and Georgie Boy. Sidewall construction wasn't the only aspect to what made
a coach more susceptible to squeaks and rattles,
but it was an indicator. I knew that on a test
drive, a National would have less squeaks and
rattles than most Newmars, not matter the Newmar
price point. Fleetwood was all over the map.
Winnie wasn't bad, Safari Simba gas hung sidewall was terrible, ditto Beaver Baron and
to a lesser extent Santiam, higher end Beavers
were very good for the most part.

Jeff Regan
2000 Dutch Star
Old 08-13-2007, 04:02 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Jeff, Thanks! Great in-depth reply. I am amazed at the knowledge that is available on these forums. I suppose RV's are just like anything else out there, you can buy at any price point from low end to ultra expensive high end. It is always good to be able to speak with folks like you before writing out the check.

Thanks - Glenn