Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2018, 12:27 AM   #15

Don,

Currently at Newmar Service and the motorized batwing antenna motor went out. Newmar replaced mine with the RZ-8500 Automatic under extended warranty. While here, I spoke with another coach owner who had Newmar install the same antenna (RZ-8500) and purchased the mount, Winegard P/N MT-7500. He stated that he received more channels after the install. I went to Newmar Parts and inquired about the mount and they knew about it but installed only one - that was the coach owner before me! There was other work to be accomplished on my Dutch Star, so I told Newmar to hold off on the antenna install until I got the mount. Called Winegard, ordered the mount, $50.00, then I was told shipping would be $50.00 also. I said .......okaaay, and gave them Newmar’s Service address. Now, the kind lady at Winegard told me since I was having the mount shipped to Newmar, the shipping cost would be $27.00! Total cost for the mount with taxes $80.00. More good news, old antenna - 18 channels, new antenna - 24 channels - that is at Newmar’s full hookup campground (not the new one, not complete yet), Space 19, next to the steel building. I’m happy with it!

Bruce
2015 Dutch Star 4018
DS15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2018, 01:14 AM   #16

Did the mount make the coach max height much taller?
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 03:26 AM   #17

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
You are way ahead of my on security. That is not even on my short list of concerns when using the coach. Maybe it should be.

The WiFiRanger Pro is basically a 2.5 GHz WiFi solution. This WiFi band has become mostly unusable in RV's today. Totally oversubscribed. I was in an RV park lately and the WiFiRanger Pro was picking up 3 pages of SSID's all with good signal strength. Even if you can hook up to a campground hotspot with good internet throughput, WiFi congestion will make the link usable. There are basically only 3, 2.5 GHz bands even though it looks like there are 11. So everyone is fighting for access over just 3 full service bands.

There is really no choice but to use the 5.0 GHz band wherever you can. I was in several RV parks this Summer with 5.0 GHz service, so they are slowly coming on board.

One factoid my novice RV users don't understand is that when using a cellular mobile data source (like MyFi, cellular router, smartphone hotspot) is that they are degrading the bandwidth of that internet connection if they connect to the device using a 2.5 GHz WiFi connection in a locally congested area. All connections must be 5 GHz to avoid contention with all the other 2.5 GHz WiFi connections in the campground.

My crystal ball says that using WiFi local campground connections will be less and less important in the future. We now have very good cellular data connections in most places and it is about to get much better for mobile data users with adoption of TMobile's 600 MHz, Band 71. This is a game changer for mobile data.

For now I am replacing WiFiRanger Pro with a new Pepwave MAX BR1 MK2 Router with a Cat 6 LTE Advanced Modem. With LTE-A this modem is really fast on Verizon. Anyone who wants fast cellular data now needs to move to LTE-A now. LTE-A is basically "4.5G" as we wait for the 5G rollout.

But for RV's the neat thing about the Pepwave MAX BR1 MK2 Router with a Cat 6 LTE Advanced Modem is that it includes both 2.5 GHz and 5.0 GHz "MIMO" WiFi. It also includes "WiFi as WAN"

that can be used on either frequency. WiFi as WAN is what the WiFi Ranger is doing but in the WiFiRanger Pro version but there is only 2.5 GHz band.

With the Pepwave MAX BRI MK2 LTE-A you get all the functionality of the WiFiRanger Pro plus blazing fast 4.5G cellular internet all in one very small form factor. On downside of the Pepwave MAX BRI MK2 LTE-A is that you need 4 antennas on the roof (2 cellular and 2 MIMO WiFi). That is my current project, running the 4 antenna leads to the roof. Note 4 wires coming out of light socket in image below. Will report more when installation is complete.

Turbopilot

If you don’t mind can you start a new thread on this install / topic. I am very interested in this project. When I had my DSDP ordered I didn’t know what system to get, so I got the Wineguard prep option and also a conduit from roof to the cabinet above driver for future options. This might be the option to go with.
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 05:19 AM   #18

Canuck53,

The antenna is approximately 1.5 to 2 inches taller than the front AC unit. Looking at the coach from the front from 100 feet away you cannot see it and same looking from the right side of the coach, can’t see it. It will not make a difference in the height of the motorhome. I have a WeBoost antenna on my roof and that beats the height of the RZ-8500 by a lot! If you have a satellite dome on your rig the dome would be much taller.

Bruce
Old 11-04-2018, 05:30 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS15 View Post
Canuck53,

The antenna is approximately 1.5 to 2 inches taller than the front AC unit. Looking at the coach from the front from 100 feet away you cannot see it and same looking from the right side of the coach, can’t see it. It will not make a difference in the height of the motorhome. I have a WeBoost antenna on my roof and that beats the height of the RZ-8500 by a lot! If you have a satellite dome on your rig the dome would be much taller.

Bruce
I was worried about those sneaky bridges!

Thanks
Old 11-04-2018, 02:56 PM   #20
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks "DS15" on the install and height of the unit. I still don't get the shipping rates. It looks like Winegard is located in Iowa and they wanted more to ship to Indiana than California. I paid $72 OTD. Just doesn't make sense!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 05:15 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Thanks "DS15" on the install and height of the unit. I still don't get the shipping rates. It looks like Winegard is located in Iowa and they wanted more to ship to Indiana than California. I paid $72 OTD. Just doesn't make sense!

Let us know how it worked out and if it made a difference. I assume it will be the high point of the coach.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:38 PM   #22

Canuck53,

Good news, old antenna - 18 channels, new antenna - 24 channels - that is at Newmar’s full hookup campground (not the new one, not complete yet), Space 19, next to the steel building. I’m happy with it!

Bruce
2015 Dutch Star 4018
Old 11-04-2018, 10:19 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS15 View Post
Canuck53,

Good news, old antenna - 18 channels, new antenna - 24 channels - that is at Newmar’s full hookup campground (not the new one, not complete yet), Space 19, next to the steel building. I’m happy with it!

Bruce
2015 Dutch Star 4018
Thanks need to add this to my list.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:46 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
OEM on 2020 DS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0608.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	274.3 KB
ID:	252850  
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:56 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Now if only the automatic Rayzer would keep working, I'd likely get the mount to raise it up and other improvements. I'm on my second unit. And its failed.
Ml
We don't use OTA very often. Only when the satellite is blocked. Since OTA doesnt work, we use a Firestick...

Annoying to have paid good money for this...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:44 AM   #26

We wintered near Orlando Fl. I could only get a couple channels. I installed the new mount and then could get 35 channels. Big improvement.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:20 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
OEM on 2020 DS
Thanks Stuart....thought I needed to add another mod to my soon to be ordered coach.
ShelbyTom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 05:20 PM   #28

RAYZAR Raised Mount

I am in Nappanee and bought one from the Newmar Parts Department today for $47.94. Part number is 148547.

It is now the highest thing on my roof by 2".
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TV1.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	262883   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV2.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	210.7 KB
ID:	262884  

Name:	TV3.jpg