Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2016, 01:44 PM   #15

I too am a fan of eternabond I have used it on two coaches.
Apply over existing sealant assuring it extends beyond the old sealant. Clean with rubbing alcohol. To reduce the cost I buy the 4 inch roll and cut to the width I need. 2 inches for the perimeter, 1 or 2 inches for vents etc.

Quick, easy and long lasting.

Al Sawyer
'05 Mt. Aire
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2016, 02:03 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
We just experienced a leak during torrential rains last weekend. It was a continuous drip that required a pan. It was coming from one of the recessed light fixtures behind the passenger seat, in front of the jackknife sofa. I have been up on the roof and it looks to be in perfect condition. No cracks or blemishes. I called a highly rated mobile RV Repair guy, and he replied that he was booked through the summer and until late fall. The nearest trustworthy dealer is 5 hours away. Looks like I may be taking on the project myself.

Any experience, knowledge of products, or tutorials are welcomed. Remove old sealers or apply new sealer on top? Cleaners, preparation, etc.
I had water following an internal wire run for 5 feet - like others have said, look around for a source - the soapy water sounds like a good idea.

I used EternaBond tape and EternaCaulk (from the same company) with great results. Here is a post with more info:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/more...ml#post3137023
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 03:04 PM   #17

It could be the gasket in the antenna. They don't last forever. We replaced ours last year when we got a leak in our ceiling light behind the passenger seat.

Just a thought.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:15 PM   #18
DJJ

www.sealtechusa.com

I found a place during my travels to have this test done about 18 months ago. They only charged 1 hour of labor and would show you where the roof had leak(s) so you could fix it or have them do the work. Takes the guess work out.

Jeff
DJJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 03:47 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Good luck! I had a minor leak before we took delivery that came in through the wingard crank up antenna wire... the dicor there had some minor cracks that were hard to see. Was dripping in through a ceiling light as your is. Cheap and easy enough to remove and replace.
Quote:
It could be the gasket in the antenna. They don't last forever. We replaced ours last year when we got a leak in our ceiling light behind the passenger seat.

Just a thought.

Wow! OK. Two leaky antennas and many thumbs up for Eternabond. Symptoms sound just like mine. I would gladly pay for it if it was close by.

Quote:
I found a place during my travels to have this test done about 18 months ago. They only charged 1 hour of labor and would show you where the roof had leak(s) so you could fix it or have them do the work. Takes the guess work out.

Jeff
I have heard of this service. Unfortunately Austin is a black hole for Motorhome sales and service. The closest location is DFW or Houston.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 04:40 PM   #20

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by noslofivoh View Post
I agree with using the eternabond tape. We experienced a leak in our 5th wheel and once I found the spot, I sealed it with eternabond. I, too, am resealing all areas of my roof top with eternabond too. I found Amazon to be the best price for it. It is available in different widths to accommodate the area being sealed.
Just make sure it's really EternaBond ... I love Amazon but my last purchase (EternaBond) of 2 rolls of 2"x50' turned out to be 3"x50' & counterfeit. No labels or branding, half-a$$ packaging, no instructions, definitely NOT EternaBond. Bought from one of the stores on Amazon.
Lisablue85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 04:42 PM   #21

Scotty before you go nuts resealing everything. I just went through leak disaster on my 2008 DSDP. Do you have a crank up antenna? My leak was from the crappy boot that is on the cable exit from the roof. I did not find it until I moved boot around and found the backside split. Made a new boot out of etna bond and used sealer. Have been in rain several times since and no more leak. Dealer missed the boot when checking the roof. I was cleaning the roof when all the water came in, my water was in the second ceiling section and over half way across the MH. Motorhome was sitting with the right side low or water would have been completely across.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:18 PM   #22

Mine came from Amazon and was Prime. The seller was actually Eternabond.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:02 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAJO View Post
Scotty before you go nuts resealing everything. I just went through leak disaster on my 2008 DSDP. Do you have a crank up antenna? My leak was from the crappy boot that is on the cable exit from the roof. I did not find it until I moved boot around and found the backside split. Made a new boot out of etna bond and used sealer. Have been in rain several times since and no more leak. Dealer missed the boot when checking the roof. I was cleaning the roof when all the water came in, my water was in the second ceiling section and over half way across the MH. Motorhome was sitting with the right side low or water would have been completely across.
Add another leak caused by the antenna. That makes 3 reported. Yes I have a WG. I ordered some Eternabond today, arriving on Friday. I am going to look at the antenna and it's boot 1st. Then I will make the decision whether to replace the antenna with a new WG Sensar iV. It probably needs to be updated anyway. Also, whether to pursue replacing the sealant on the other penetrations. I'm really liking what I'm reading about EB.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:46 PM   #24

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by noslofivoh View Post
Mine came from Amazon and was Prime. The seller was actually Eternabond.
Usually always buy direct from Amazon using Prime, thought that's what I did with this order. Never had a problem with any sellers when I don't though, but always check out sellers ratings when I do. Must've had an "air bubble" in my head THAT day, lol! Just wanted to give people a "heads up" to make sure that wherever they buy EternaBond, make sure it's the real deal, a rep from EternaBond said there were counterfeits being sold.
Lisablue85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:21 AM   #25

Scotty as you already know be sure to get the water out of ceiling area or it is going to stink. I used a small plastic squeegee to push the water to existing holes in the ceiling like antenna, speaker, smoke detector. Water gets trapped between the vinyl and the foam just above it in the ceiling panels. Water even ran down the side wall beside the passenger seat, carpet was wet. I used my shop vac to blow air into the ceiling and side wall. I also used the shop vac to collect the water that the squeegee pulled out. It took a long time to dry and was a real PITA. Fixing the leak was the easy part.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:42 AM   #26

Here's the fourth for the antenna. That's where it was on mine. Rubber boot was allowing water to come through.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:20 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAJO View Post
Scotty as you already know be sure to get the water out of ceiling area or it is going to stink. I used a small plastic squeegee to push the water to existing holes in the ceiling like antenna, speaker, smoke detector. Water gets trapped between the vinyl and the foam just above it in the ceiling panels. Water even ran down the side wall beside the passenger seat, carpet was wet. I used my shop vac to blow air into the ceiling and side wall. I also used the shop vac to collect the water that the squeegee pulled out. It took a long time to dry and was a real PITA. Fixing the leak was the easy part.
That thought never ocurred to me. So I assume you are talking about running the squeegee along the ceiling from underneath, directing it toward the openings?
Old 07-01-2016, 06:05 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
That thought never ocurred to me. So I assume you are talking about running the squeegee along the ceiling from underneath, directing it toward the openings?

Correct, I have read of people rolling a wine bottle also to remove water.

Tags
roof, seal