Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2020, 05:19 PM   #1

Rear Bay Window

Have a 2018 Baystar 3401, and have the rear baywindow.Anyone replaced this with a emergency escape window ? If so what company did you use. Newmar does not carry a replacement
rmarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2020, 05:37 PM   #2

Kidding.... but not kidding.

Every window is an emergency window... when you have a hammer!!!

Im guessing we are talking about fire or smoke? What else could be an emergency to make us jump out of our RV's?

If you keep a hammer right by the window, simple... emergency, smash it and jump out. Its much cheaper and easier than changing it out for something that hopefully you never have to use. What if you get a water leak from the installation of the window if you were to switch it out?

Good Luck!
AZ RV'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 07:01 AM   #3

I thought about the hammer thing, but I would rather have an escape window that looks and operates as needed in case of fire. AS far as a leak, my thought is if a window can be installed that dosen't leak (as is now) then a replacement can be too if made to correct size and installed correctly. Guess I will just have to start contact window installers and see if anyone is willing or able to make one. All I know now is the small factory escape window installed by the factory is not going to work for the two of us as it is now.
rmarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:46 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Some BS Owners did install a escape window found in QT's#3 pg 2, shown here and they have many other MOD'S.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:49 AM   #5

Agree that any window is an escape window if you have a hammer...except the actual escape window which I'm not sure I could physically fit though. Even if I could, I'm not sure I could perform that feat of gymnastics.

I wish the rear window was able to be opened, even if it just had small tilt-out panels along the bottom. I'm sure it's a safety thing due to exhaust gases entering the coach if left open on the road or some such nonsense. Lets in plenty of light but you're left using the small windows on the slide for ventilation.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:41 PM   #6

My Fleetwood Storm had a back window about the same size as my Bay Star Sport and it was tilt out with a screen AND an escape window. You’re right the little side escape window that we have now looks impossible to use. Even if we fit the drop to the ground would be painful. Moving from the bed out the back window to the ladder looks like a much better plan! I’d e interested if you ever find a source for a new window. In the meantime I think I’ll plan to try kicking the back window out if the need arises.

Tags
wind, window