Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2020, 12:32 PM   #1

Rear camera not working

I have a 2019 New Aire and I store it in my shop. Went over there today and cranked it up and noticed that my rear camera is not working, just shows a blue screen. I went to my camera icon on my radio screen and switched between all the other cameras and they all work fine. I looked under the triangle piece on the dash thinking it might have came unplugged but all looked good there and at the back under the engine compartment where the camera is at , the wire looks good also. So I’m assuming the camera just went bad. Has anyone had this happen to them and how difficult is it to change the camera out?
STEELMAN1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2020, 05:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELMAN1978 View Post
I have a 2019 New Aire and I store it in my shop. Went over there today and cranked it up and noticed that my rear camera is not working, just shows a blue screen. I went to my camera icon on my radio screen and switched between all the other cameras and they all work fine. I looked under the triangle piece on the dash thinking it might have came unplugged but all looked good there and at the back under the engine compartment where the camera is at , the wire looks good also. So I’m assuming the camera just went bad. Has anyone had this happen to them and how difficult is it to change the camera out?

This is assuming my 2019 Mountain Aire will be similar to yours. I just replaced my back camera. It also was just the blue screen and what I found out through reading others posts was that the cameras are powered on all the time even though your screen is turned off. So cameras burn up.
It was a simple job on mine. Take the camera cover off by carefully getting the caulking off and one tiny screw on top of the cover. Cover comes off. Then 4 screws hold the camera backing plate to the body. Open up the engine cover and up above you will see the cable come through. Clean off some of the blow foam they put on to open up the hole the cable runs through. A little to the right of that you will see that the cable plugs into another cable and just unplug it. Then connect a wire (to use as a chase) to the end of the cable and pull it out from outside and above. Connect the chase wire to the new camera cable and pull it back through from below. Reconnect the cable, put the cover back on and caulk it back up and then use a little blow foam to reseal the hole inside the engine cover area. Took me only about an hour or less to do all of it. But the camera from Newmar was $566. My part number was 152880 (XCITE# XS93202KT08). But yours might be different. But I would think they used the same systems across multiple models.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
Bpeter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 05:55 PM   #3

Sounds fairly easy, expensive but easy. Thanks!
Old 12-17-2020, 07:32 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
New aire rear camera

I had a similar problem with the rear camera blue screen or intermittent blurriness. After reading posts on this topic, I thought I would have to replace the camera, too. But after talking with a tech at Xite, I was given troubleshooting tips to unplug the RR camera at the Silverleaf box (in the bay on passenger side just forward of the rear wheel ) and plug another in to see if it worked in the RR slot. Because this worked, we went through other steps and found the RR camera cable had a bad splice right near the box which was easily repairable. If the splice could not have been repaired, I would have had to replace the cable - which is cheaper than the camera. The tech also mentioned that the camera system is sensitive to bad cable/plugs/splices connections because of the HD data being transmitted and mentioned they see this problem often.

I posted pics of the bad splice in a reply to a previous poster and will be glad to re-post if you would like.

Good luck!
kdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 07:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdoyle View Post
I had a similar problem with the rear camera blue screen or intermittent blurriness. After reading posts on this topic, I thought I would have to replace the camera, too. But after talking with a tech at Xite, I was given troubleshooting tips to unplug the RR camera at the Silverleaf box (in the bay on passenger side just forward of the rear wheel ) and plug another in to see if it worked in the RR slot. Because this worked, we went through other steps and found the RR camera cable had a bad splice right near the box which was easily repairable. If the splice could not have been repaired, I would have had to replace the cable - which is cheaper than the camera. The tech also mentioned that the camera system is sensitive to bad cable/plugs/splices connections because of the HD data being transmitted and mentioned they see this problem often.

I posted pics of the bad splice in a reply to a previous poster and will be glad to re-post if you would like.

Good luck!
Yes if you don’t mind and Thanks!
Old 12-17-2020, 08:23 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Pic

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELMAN1978 View Post
Yes if you don’t mind and Thanks!
Here you go; this is a pic of the affected cable with a backdop so the splices (from original installation it seems) are visible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6974.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	527.9 KB
ID:	311634  
kdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 03:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdoyle View Post

Good luck!

Good point Kevin. I should have also noted that when I determined that my camera was bad. It was after swapping the RR connection with another at the HDCMM control box as you noted. Because after the swap the blue screen remained and the RR connection at the box worked with other cameras. I was able to confirm my camera was burned out. This problem for me was similar to his in the sense that our coach had been just sitting in the garage with no use when it showed up.

Good catch adding this for him and hopefully saving him some money.
Bpeter2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, rear