Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2018, 06:33 PM   #1

Rear Full Length Mudflap 2017 Ventana LE 4037

Does anyone have a full length mudflap on the rear of their 2017 Ventana LE 4037? Does it really help? If so is it worth the effort?

I have a full length mudflap off my old coach 2004 Endeavor and the height I know is too high. I could shorten this easily.

I have seen a picture of a Newmar coach which year and model I am uncertain and the height of the mudflap is a lot less.

Looking at the photo I found of the unknown make and year of the Newmar it appeared the rear mudflap is short in height as the rear of these coaches sit lower than some other makes of RV's. I also believe that the Ventana has a longer over hang that my last coach 2004 Endeavor. That is why the Ventana has rear skid plates.

Does anyone know the height of the mudflap Newmar used and how was it mounted?A measurement and photo would help.

The concern of mind is installing a rear full length mudflap and if the rear skid plates contact the pavement the rear mudflap may fold up into the body and damage the rear cap.
Robert T is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2018, 06:58 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
The full-width mud flap can serve as a fan to divert air down on to the highway. Any sand, grit, gravel, etc. can be swept up into the air and sandblast your Toad. Flaps behind the dual tires can reduce rocks and debris from flying back at the Toad, but the full-width ones just make things worse. If the RV dips and causes the flap to drag on the road, it really sweeps up debris and flings it back behind the RV.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:05 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
This is a much debated subject, I took mine off my 2018 DS and it hangs beautifully on the wall of my garage. A large majority feel that it causes more damage to the TOAD then it protects.
Newmar Wall Art
http://www.irv2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=395835
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:23 PM   #4

I'm with Stuart. Mine's on the back porch though.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:41 PM   #5

Took mine off our 2013 VTDP 3334.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert T View Post

Does anyone know the height of the mudflap Newmar used and how was it mounted?A measurement and photo would help.
Mine is about 8' in the air.

turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:08 PM   #7

Took mine off as soon as I got the coach 3 years ago. Not a mark on the toad, and no dust storms leaving the campground. If it really worked, all the trucks and buses would have them.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 05:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
If it really worked, all the trucks and buses would have them.
Oh it works. Giant billboard, always moving, swinging around reflecting light, NEWMAR. I think it achieves just what original intent was.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 05:31 AM   #9

Mine's in the dumpster. I like to see what's happening under there ... I routinely look when hooking the toad up. No dings or marks on the toad in years. But .... I do have conventional mudflaps behind the wheels.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
The full-width mud flap can serve as a fan to divert air down on to the highway. Any sand, grit, gravel, etc. can be swept up into the air and sandblast your Toad. Flaps behind the dual tires can reduce rocks and debris from flying back at the Toad, but the full-width ones just make things worse. If the RV dips and causes the flap to drag on the road, it really sweeps up debris and flings it back behind the RV.
You know, this is the first anti-mud flap argument that's actually made sense!

When we got our KSDP, it had a funky generic truck-stop mud flap that was all bent up. So at great expense, I ordered a new one from Newmar. When it arrived I was dumbfounded to learn that it doesn't have a single attachment hole or cut-out for my coach. The Newmar dealer I bought it from was clueless, but said that's how they come -- and the installer has to custom fit it to the coach. I thought that was really dumb and talked to a couple of the RV repair shops I use -- and they quoted prices of around $500 to install it -- because indeed, it's completely custom to each coach and hitch.

That was way more than I wanted to spend at the time. So I just put the new mud flap in storage. And that's when I started reading all the negative comments and that I'd be much better off never installing it.

And now that we're on-the-road with the funky one that came on this used coach, I've bent it all to heck backing up. And now I'll probably need to cut the thing down before it self-destructs and does some damage to the coach.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:28 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyS View Post
You know, this is the first anti-mud flap argument that's actually made sense!

When we got our KSDP, it had a funky generic truck-stop mud flap that was all bent up. So at great expense, I ordered a new one from Newmar. When it arrived I was dumbfounded to learn that it doesn't have a single attachment hole or cut-out for my coach. The Newmar dealer I bought it from was clueless, but said that's how they come -- and the installer has to custom fit it to the coach. I thought that was really dumb and talked to a couple of the RV repair shops I use -- and they quoted prices of around $500 to install it -- because indeed, it's completely custom to each coach and hitch.

That was way more than I wanted to spend at the time. So I just put the new mud flap in storage. And that's when I started reading all the negative comments and that I'd be much better off never installing it.

And now that we're on-the-road with the funky one that came on this used coach, I've bent it all to heck backing up. And now I'll probably need to cut the thing down before it self-destructs and does some damage to the coach.
Thanks for the kind words. To install a full-width flap, I'd buy a length of angle iron the width of the flap. This is then bolted to the top edge of the flap using fender washers on the bolts. Once assembled, the flap is suspended from short sections of chain from 3 or more frame members or braces under the RV. It's not hard, but it does serve as an air dam diverting air down onto the roadway and causing small bits of road debris to be fanned up off the surface.

As others have mentioned, they work best hanging on a garage or den wall.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent, ventana