Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2020, 04:50 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Next time you are at Harbor Freight, pick up a short hydraulic jack for about $10-$15. You might be able to get the jacks high enough to slip that little jack under there and finish the job. I keep one on hand for just that kind of emergency, and store it in the battery compartment.

BobbyJ
2020 DSDP 4369
2015 Yukon XL (AF1)
Bobbyj56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2020, 05:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
Tonight used the air leveling, as per Tony's suggestion. Seems to work well. I'd never used it before. Not sure why Newmar didn't install the pump to maintain level over a period of time. I suspect it's OK for an overnight but if parked for a few days or more I want the jacks (or the maintenance pump).

As I said, I've been using silicone spray to clean and lubricate the jacks for about a year now, had been using straight WD. For what it's worth it's the WD-40 brand silicone. I'll switch to a straight lubricant similar to WD-40 to see if the makes a difference. I'll also be picking up an 8' 2X4 to keep onboard. In the final analysis, I think my first spring destination may be Moscow Iowa.

My '17 LADP has Valid Air Leveling. The system checks for level every 2 hours and if it needs adjustment there is a small air pump that kicks in to provide air to the required air bag. It makes a loud noise and if you have one and it is working you will know it.
Old 10-05-2020, 05:56 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewlee View Post
My '17 LADP has Valid Air Leveling. The system checks for level every 2 hours and if it needs adjustment there is a small air pump that kicks in to provide air to the required air bag. It makes a loud noise and if you have one and it is working you will know it.
They make improvements every year hoping to entice you to upgrade.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 05:43 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Well, that was a failed experiment. This morning we have a severe list to port. I'll have to level up again to retract the slides.

Again, why would they bother to install half a system? No means to maintain level with the engine off - useless.
2024 Ford Expedition
Old 10-06-2020, 02:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Well, that was a failed experiment. This morning we have a severe list to port. I'll have to level up again to retract the slides.

Again, why would they bother to install half a system? No means to maintain level with the engine off - useless.
With the engine off, the little Valid air compressor (under your feet next to the generator) should provide air for additional leveling. Mine is locked up and never has worked so I just make sure the air tanks are full after air leveling. Gets us by for a night.

Regarding your rear jack, my right rear jack use to hang up. The last time it did, I went to Lowes and bought a 2x4 to get it up. Then I sprayed it with WD40 and have not needed to 2x4 since, but carry it below. Two weeks ago, a buddy had his left rear not retracting. I grabbed my 2x4, had him hit Auto Store and I pried it up. (All friends along were impressed). He has since sprayed all of his with WD40 and not had any more problems. I think HWH's suggestion to use WD40 is the answer.

Thanks,
Stu
Tizbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 04:50 PM   #20

Do you have a 625, 625S, or 725 system? If so:

Do the rear jacks both retract completely if you hit the rear "down" button on the control panel?
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 08:09 AM   #21
Commercial Member

a 2016 london aire will have a 725 hwh leveling system. the alarm is sounded when the cylinder does not retract fully, or extends while driving. usually 1/4 to 3/8 inch.
the jack cylinder needs to be replaced. continued use will eventually cause a shorted solenoid, and blown fuses.
the jack down alarm can be temporarily disconnected by unplugging the two wire connecter at the top of the jack. the jack will continue to function, and the alarm will not sound. this is a safety issue, and should be used temporarily only.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:21 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by azpete View Post
a 2016 london aire will have a 725 hwh leveling system. the alarm is sounded when the cylinder does not retract fully, or extends while driving. usually 1/4 to 3/8 inch.
the jack cylinder needs to be replaced. continued use will eventually cause a shorted solenoid, and blown fuses.
the jack down alarm can be temporarily disconnected by unplugging the two wire connecter at the top of the jack. the jack will continue to function, and the alarm will not sound. this is a safety issue, and should be used temporarily only.
How can the spring assisted retraction cause a solenoid issue? There's nothing running. The downforce is sufficient to lift/level a 50k lb coach, can't imagine how some resistance could overload the system? What am I missing?
2024 Ford Expedition
Old 10-08-2020, 04:11 PM   #23

Quote:
How can the spring assisted retraction cause a solenoid issue? There's nothing running. The downforce is sufficient to lift/level a 50k lb coach, can't imagine how some resistance could overload the system? What am I missing?
During automatic store operations, the control unit keeps the solenoid energized until the jack is fully retracted (and for some time after that). If the jack doesn't retract and the solenoid stays on, it can overheat. That can damage the coil.
Old 10-09-2020, 07:07 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
UPDATE

While we're stationary for a few days I went out and bought a small bottle jack and an 8' 2X4. I also picked up a new can of WD-40, one with a long flexible metal nosil that can be bent into shapes allowing you to reach places with the spray you may not otherwise.

A couple days ago I sprayed down all the jacks liberally, concentrating on the seal area. I let that soak overnight then wiped out the area as best I could and reapplied the WD-40. Got a lot of black crap out of seal area. I ran the jacks through a complete cycle and they worked well. The rear jacks still slower retracting than the front, part of that I suspect may be the fact the rear cylinders need to push more fluid. I then gave all the seal areas another liberal spray. I'll wipe them down, reapply the WD-40 and cycle them again today in prep for our departure tomorrow morning.

Fingers crossed.
2024 Ford Expedition
Old 10-09-2020, 07:18 AM   #25
Community Administrator

🤞 , good luck with it Jay

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:30 AM   #26

Quote:
The left rear jack has been slow to retract this entire trip and this morning neither rear jack would fully retract. Came within 3" of full up and stayed there. Banging on the base of the jack didn't help, trying to lift it with a 4' crowbar didn't work. They were clearly up more than far enough for safety but not enough to keep the jacks down alarm off. OK, there's probably a fuse for that alarm. There is! Clearly marked, pulled the "jacks down alarm" fuse. Made no difference, alarm still blaring.

Left the campground with the alarm sounding, I'm not limber enough to get under the dash to find it, not having the slightest idea where to look. About 45 minutes down the road I pulled into a rest area, shut down and hit the stow button again. Both jacks immediately came up enough to shut the alarm off, although they both were still down a couple of inches and still are.

No one in service department of our dealer this morning that could help and the voice mailbox for the "emergency service contact" at Newmar was full, unable to leave a message.

Right now we're set up at the FMCA RV park in Cincinnati, just a bit off level as I didn't want to put the rear jacks down.

Anyone have this issue, have an idea what's going on? I regularly wipe the jacks down with silicone spray so I wouldn't think road debris would be the issue.

For what it it's worth, the jacks on our American Coach were powered in both directions, no springs. Never had a problem with them.
I had this problem with my left rear jack. All I had to do was disconnect the wiring harness at the jack pump and reconnect the harness. This effectively reset/rebooted the LCI system in my coach and all the jacks work just fine now. I think the connections get loose and occasionally need to be reseated. Give this a try if you can.
armullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 03:24 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Tonight used the air leveling, as per Tony's suggestion. Seems to work well. I'd never used it before. Not sure why Newmar didn't install the pump to maintain level over a period of time. I suspect it's OK for an overnight but if parked for a few days or more I want the jacks (or the maintenance pump).

As I said, I've been using silicone spray to clean and lubricate the jacks for about a year now, had been using straight WD. For what it's worth it's the WD-40 brand silicone. I'll switch to a straight lubricant similar to WD-40 to see if the makes a difference. I'll also be picking up an 8' 2X4 to keep onboard. In the final analysis, I think my first spring destination may be Moscow Iowa.
Jay, Periodly I will also have a problem with rear left coming up slower than I think it should
The jacks were down on fluid ..added 1 1/2 quarts
Still sometimes same jack slow.other times works perfectly.. So cleaned with WD40..helped
But when I see it's slow,I start engine and hit the stow button again and that seems to do it.......
But is something I now have to check....Chuck
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:16 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
During automatic store operations, the control unit keeps the solenoid energized until the jack is fully retracted (and for some time after that). If the jack doesn't retract and the solenoid stays on, it can overheat. That can damage the coil.
I belatedly realized that the 725 and 625 might be different here (sorry) and, per HWH's documentation, indeed they are. The 725 is smarter than the 625, and energizes the coils 10 minutes on/10 minutes off until the jacks are retracted or 50 minutes passes, whichever comes first. So I don't know the answer to your question.

Tags
jacks, rear