Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2020, 02:37 PM   #29

Vintage RV Owners Club
One thing to remember when you are trying to retract a jack. Make sure the store button is one so power is at the solenoid to open for fluid return. If you try to push jacks up without the sednoid powered it will not be open. Remember also that this is only going to let your jacks up if the problem is in the lower cylinder seal not letting the springs pull it up. it will not help if you have a faulty jack solenoid or wiring to same prob.
bioguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2020, 03:09 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I really appreciate the continued discussion on this.

We hit the road this morning and the jacks retracted normally, the rears lagging the front, but that's always been the case. I suspect they have more fluid to push.

Sure do miss the Power Gear jacks on our last coach. Powered in both dirrections, no springs.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 04:08 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
I really appreciate the continued discussion on this.

We hit the road this morning and the jacks retracted normally, the rears lagging the front, but that's always been the case. I suspect they have more fluid to push.

Sure do miss the Power Gear jacks on our last coach. Powered in both dirrections, no springs.
The front jacks get a head start. From the service manual, "The front jacks will retract for five (5) seconds before the rear jacks start to retract."
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 02:09 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
At our last overnight before we get home. The jacks have been working fine. I continue to liberally lube with WD-40. Curiously the rear jacks won't retract the last 1/4", equal on both sides. That's still a couple inches or more past what it takes to shut of the "jacks down" warning.
2024 Ford Expedition
Old 10-12-2020, 03:03 PM   #33

Quote:
At our last overnight before we get home. The jacks have been working fine. I continue to liberally lube with WD-40. Curiously the rear jacks won't retract the last 1/4", equal on both sides. That's still a couple inches or more past what it takes to shut of the "jacks down" warning.
Have you cleaned the rubber seal / wiper area with WD-40 and Qtips? That area is a common problem area and often yields lots of dirt & collected "crud"
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 05:36 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Have you cleaned the rubber seal / wiper area with WD-40 and Qtips? That area is a common problem area and often yields lots of dirt & collected "crud"
Not with Q-tips, but yes. And there was a lot of crud.
2024 Ford Expedition
Old 10-13-2020, 08:28 AM   #35

I fully extend my jacks & wipe them down with WD 40 twice a year. They never stick on me. If they stick after wiping them down- go to the corresponding jack valve- up in front of the curbside firewall in the generator compartment- & open-unscrew- the T handle a quarter turn to see if this will help them retract better. This opens the valve a little more so more fluid can flow faster back into the pump reservoir. This will allow them to retract faster assuming your tension springs are in good shape.

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 06:25 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I had researched how & where to open those valves, just in case. Thankfully the WD has been working.
2024 Ford Expedition
Old 10-15-2020, 03:34 PM   #37

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had this problem with my Atwood electric jacks this morning. I used a trick that has worked for me before. If you start the rig, press firmly on the brake, and shift into drive, the jacks go into what I call "panic retract mode."

The system ignores most common error conditions and retracts all the jacks. All the lights flash and the warning alarm blares at you, but the jacks usually come up. Once they're all the way up, the lights go out, the alarm stops, and things are usually back to normal.
Old 10-15-2020, 03:45 PM   #38

Our Monaco doesn't have springs, they pump both ways. A few years ago we had the same problem, first with slow retraction, then with not retracting all the way. Turns out the front cylinder hydraulic fitting was a bit loose just enough it to leak a little bit until finally there wasn't enough fluid to trigger the "retracted" fluid level sensor in the reservoir. I had all the fittings checked, made sure to service the retractable legs more often, had the fluid changed and properly refilled and checked for leaks. No problem since, although I understand that really cold weather can adversely affect deployment and retraction of the legs.
Rocket Jock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 03:48 PM   #39
pjb

Jacks Won't Retract

This has happened to a couple times to me in cold weather. I've been fortunate enough to find a fence post or a 2 x 4 to get down on all 4 and pry it up. It goes up real easy. Is there a solution? I don't know, but this will work for me.
pjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 03:58 PM   #40

Jacks slow to rise

Fluid Level. Had same experience several times. When fluid level is low, jacks either are slow, wont retract or wont go down.

Quote:
The left rear jack has been slow to retract this entire trip and this morning neither rear jack would fully retract. Came within 3" of full up and stayed there. Banging on the base of the jack didn't help, trying to lift it with a 4' crowbar didn't work. They were clearly up more than far enough for safety but not enough to keep the jacks down alarm off. OK, there's probably a fuse for that alarm. There is! Clearly marked, pulled the "jacks down alarm" fuse. Made no difference, alarm still blaring.

Left the campground with the alarm sounding, I'm not limber enough to get under the dash to find it, not having the slightest idea where to look. About 45 minutes down the road I pulled into a rest area, shut down and hit the stow button again. Both jacks immediately came up enough to shut the alarm off, although they both were still down a couple of inches and still are.

No one in service department of our dealer this morning that could help and the voice mailbox for the "emergency service contact" at Newmar was full, unable to leave a message.

Right now we're set up at the FMCA RV park in Cincinnati, just a bit off level as I didn't want to put the rear jacks down.

Anyone have this issue, have an idea what's going on? I regularly wipe the jacks down with silicone spray so I wouldn't think road debris would be the issue.

For what it it's worth, the jacks on our American Coach were powered in both directions, no springs. Never had a problem with them.
adrainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 05:01 PM   #41

For powered jacks, there is a microswitch at each jack, when the jack is up and the switch is actuated, the motor stops (mostly - ther is a bit more than that but the concept is stiill valid). For spring powered jacks, the electronic valve opens to vent fluid back into the reservoir. If the spring is not strong enough to pull the jack fully in, there is corrosion or something blocking the jack from retracting fully. A friend had spring retracting jacks that were sluggish and we extended them, lubricated them, polished the shafts and found one spring was way below the other in strength so ordered a new set, The electric valve that permits fluid to be vented cam be operable by "jumping" them with 12V, but I'd exercise care to not cause any damage. Hydraulics is pretty simple, though the controls can be infuriatingly complicated. I have found that if I get debris on the jack pads because they sank into soft ground or gravel, the debris can impede the smooth retraction. I extended the jacks partially and hosed them off, but his retract and everything was fine.
Bob
bobfrommaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:13 PM   #42

Jacks are slow or not going up

I have a 16 year old RV and have had slow jacks and one that needed help from a 2x4 x 8' . I was close to HWH in Iowa so I called and stopped in. They where great. The problem is the seals stick. Had to rebuilt, very reasonable and now they work great.

Geo19Irv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, rear