Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2016, 02:09 PM   #1

Rear view camera problem

Hi guys,

I'm hoping somebody can give me some insight into solving a problem with my rear view camera on my 2008 Kountry Star.

Several weeks ago I was coming home from a weekend camping trip. It was a rainy and windy day to say the least. About 1/2 hour in to our trip, my rear view monitor went out. The screen did not go black but was more grey and in the corner of the screen it said A/V. This happened intermittently all the way home. It would come back on for maybe 30 seconds to a minute, then go off for a few minutes.

After I got home and it sat for a while, the camera seemed to work fine. Every couple of days I would turn the key and the rear view monitor would come on no problem and stay on. Today, however, I moved the MH to mow the grass and when I restarted it to back up in to place again the monitor was out. It will give brief flashes of the rear but goes back to the grey screen with A/V on it.

I should add, that when I put it in reverse, the rear camera comes on. I'm thinking that this must be a different camera because it shows dotted lines to indicate your path. Is that correct?

In any case, I would appreciate if anyone has any idea as to what the problem might be and where I could start to try and find the problem.

Thanks in advance.
2andthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2016, 03:21 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Not sure it's a different camera, just the index lines appearing when in reverse. I'd wiggle the connections on the back of the monitor to be sure they're good as you watch the monitor for flickering.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 03:28 PM   #3

Thanks, I'll give that a try and see if anything changes
Old 07-03-2016, 04:27 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum and irv2.
Check the plug on the rear view camera may need cleaning because of moisture.
All the way to near the bottom of this link you will find some information on your rear view camera system.
All the links below in my signature will have more info for your coach.
Enjoy the forum and safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 04:35 PM   #5

I did some more checking and removed the monitor from the dash. Not much on the back of this Voyager that could come loose unless these 4 dangling wires are supposed to be connected to something. I couldn't find any other wires that they would connect to. Other than that, the two larger wires are sealed to the monitor and then connect to another plug in that is kept together by screws.

Took the cover off the rear camera and everything is tight back there.

Only other thing that I noticed is when the screen is like this, I cant use the power button to turn it off. Have to turn the key off for the monitor to go off.

Has anyone else ever had this type of problem.

Thanks
Old 07-03-2016, 04:52 PM   #6

I tried to upload a picture of the back of the monitor but seem unable to do it for some reason.

There are 4 wires on the back that are not connected to anything. They are green, red, blue and black.
Old 07-03-2016, 06:59 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2andthedog View Post
I tried to upload a picture of the back of the monitor but seem unable to do it for some reason.

There are 4 wires on the back that are not connected to anything. They are green, red, blue and black.
You might try a Google search for the monitor manufacturer. Those colors are often used for composite video, maybe to display on the TV screen.

Bob & Donna
Old 07-03-2016, 08:33 PM   #8

Thanks, I'll check that out.

I'm going to take another look at the rear camera tomorrow to see if there me be some corrosion at a connection or something. Just seems a little strange that it works fine when I put it in reverse.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:35 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2andthedog View Post
Thanks, I'll check that out.

I'm going to take another look at the rear camera tomorrow to see if there me be some corrosion at a connection or something. Just seems a little strange that it works fine when I put it in reverse.
When shifting into reverse, a signal is sent to turn on the camera if it wasn't on, so it's a different circuit than the other one. That may be the issue, check the power to the camera by the circuit that's on with stand-by or at driver's choice.

Bob & Donna

Tags
camera