Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2022, 03:54 AM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tire stem “Campaign’

I lost a factory installed extension and rubber grommet and asked my dealer to contact freightliner. Also checked my VIN for this recall after reading it here. I was not in the recall at this time.

I wound up contacting freightliner myself and asked for a replacement and their response was they could not provide one as they are in a “campaign” regarding tire stem extensions at this time.

“ The problem was the stem stabilizer was not staying in the rim and the valve stem extender was rubbing the rim causing a hole and the inner tire would go flat. To air the tire they make a long air chuck.

I understand that can happen. My issue now is the short inner dual tire OEM tire stem causes my TPMS to lose contact with that sensor.

This “campaign” may expand to all Freightliner chassis over the coming days.
FloridaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2022, 05:48 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mre View Post
Can loctite be used?
No. Loctite is for threads to keep nuts from loosening or backing off. It is not a glue.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 06:48 AM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Put two dabs of RTV Adhesive on the rubber rim insert…did that two+ years ago on our previous coach and did not have any issues with them moving!!
Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 06:50 AM   #32

Last summer I had the valve stem rub against the rim and start to lose air, my TPMS was screaming at me. Luckily I just got off the interstate and was only about 5 miles from home. Freightliner put on a new extension and grommet. Soon after the grommet would not stay in place.

Then the latest recall came. They took the extension off and grommet as well. I was able to get my TPMS on the shorter valve. You have to take the "cap" off that FL puts on the valve. So far so good after a 700 mile round trip (except for a screw in the right front that blew the tire on I75, luckily no damage but different story).

One picture shows the "cap" on the and the other shows the cap removed with the TPMS sensor on (sorry for the sideways picture). The TPMS sensor will not attach to the cap, the cap must be removed. Took about 5 minutes to accomplish this task.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220217_173319.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	359050   Click image for larger version

Name:	273934917_5363652470316338_9086136822305811440_n.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	212.2 KB
ID:	359051  

boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 07:32 AM   #33

For those that use RTV to keep the support in place, check the support regularly. I had one that developed a number of splits. I like the idea of gluing the support in place but check the support to make sure it doesn't split from excessive wear. This one fell back along the stem a couple of times after LD examined the rig for the first recall (thanks guys). After it falling out of place and relocated between the wheels twice I removed it and saw the cracks had formed on the inside.

I keep a couple of spares on the rig now.

I am also getting concerned that the front wheels should also have the supports installed. One of them seems to be bending towards the rim of the opening now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20220313_092510.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	359052  
Old 03-13-2022, 09:28 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomersooner View Post
Last summer I had the valve stem rub against the rim and start to lose air, my TPMS was screaming at me. Luckily I just got off the interstate and was only about 5 miles from home. Freightliner put on a new extension and grommet. Soon after the grommet would not stay in place.

Then the latest recall came. They took the extension off and grommet as well. I was able to get my TPMS on the shorter valve. You have to take the "cap" off that FL puts on the valve. So far so good after a 700 mile round trip (except for a screw in the right front that blew the tire on I75, luckily no damage but different story).

One picture shows the "cap" on the and the other shows the cap removed with the TPMS sensor on (sorry for the sideways picture). The TPMS sensor will not attach to the cap, the cap must be removed. Took about 5 minutes to accomplish this task.
I took the extension off the stem and for now, I’m running it that way. I made me a tool out of a short piece of 5/8” water hose to install and remove the TPMS sensor. I cut about a 1/2” long slit in the hose and push the sensor into it. Then I push it thru the outer rim to screw it on. Works good till I can get me a better fix.
Old 03-13-2022, 02:45 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Road View Post
I took the extension off the stem and for now, I’m running it that way. I made me a tool out of a short piece of 5/8” water hose to install and remove the TPMS sensor. I cut about a 1/2” long slit in the hose and push the sensor into it. Then I push it thru the outer rim to screw it on. Works good till I can get me a better fix.
That there is probably the best fix there is to this debacle.

So the OEM extensions merely screw off enabling the TPMS sensor to be screwed in place?

The only issue remaining is what is it like to adjust the pressure of the inner tire . Are special air chucks etc. required to get in there?
Old 03-13-2022, 02:52 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDan View Post

So the OEM extensions merely screw off enabling the TPMS sensor to be screwed in place?

The only issue remaining is what is it like to adjust the pressure of the inner tire . Are special air chucks etc. required to get in there?
This is what I use. Works good to reach the inside stem.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	28061F81-FD01-4C70-ABF6-AB984C7D4BE2.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	359104  
Old 03-13-2022, 03:00 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDan View Post

Sorry. Didn’t comment on the extension, but yes, it just screws off.
Old 03-13-2022, 03:10 PM   #38

Thanks for the update. I had one of those air chucks as well but found it was not all that accurate. I'll have to do a trial with the extension support removed to see how much room there is.
Old 03-20-2022, 04:25 PM   #39

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm going to pass on the recall

So after reading the posts and checking out my wheels, tires, TPMS sensors and the space to attach and remove the TPMS sensor, apply the air chuck, etc. I've decided to DECLINE the recall. I'll add a step to inspect the extension and donut placement to my pre-departure checklist and keep the TPMS while traveling. I've got 20K miles on it now without any problems so checking it prior to departure every time hopefully will give me enough warning if the donut comes loose.
Does anyone know where I can get a spare donut in case I ever loose one?
Nildecaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 05:36 PM   #40

The Freightliner rubber stabilizer is P/N 13-10232-000 but can be bought on line if you goggle the description.

For future reference, the correct inner valve stem is P/N 13-10303-000 or Haltec P/N TR574G29 which has a 32 degree angle. This will need a 4” extension.

These are the parts that I bought for my Accu-Shield rims.
Old 03-21-2022, 07:06 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nildecaf View Post
So after reading the posts and checking out my wheels, tires, TPMS sensors and the space to attach and remove the TPMS sensor, apply the air chuck, etc. I've decided to DECLINE the recall. I'll add a step to inspect the extension and donut placement to my pre-departure checklist and keep the TPMS while traveling. I've got 20K miles on it now without any problems so checking it prior to departure every time hopefully will give me enough warning if the donut comes loose.
Does anyone know where I can get a spare donut in case I ever loose one?
I believe someone has given us the info for a spare donut/grommet. They are available on Amazon I believe. If you elect to use the extension with the donut, several have spot glued it in. I would use something like a couple drops of regular original Goop. I also will not let Freightliner fix it via the recall.
Old 03-21-2022, 09:42 AM   #42

Recall-FCCC Motorhome Valve Stem Stabilizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post
The Freightliner rubber stabilizer is P/N 13-10232-000 but can be bought on line if you goggle the description.

For future reference, the correct inner valve stem is P/N 13-10303-000 or Haltec P/N TR574G29 which has a 32 degree angle. This will need a 4” extension.

These are the parts that I bought for my Accu-Shield rims.

To be more specific on my post, the information is for items as shown in post # 7 & 33. The Wheel Master 4” extension works very well and has held up for about 5 years.

This does not relate to the newer round hole configuration.

Tags
fccc, motor, motorhome, recall, valve