Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2022, 07:13 AM   #1

Recall-FCCC Motorhome Valve Stem Stabilizer

This recall notice pertaining to valve stems was received about a week ago. I haven’t called Frieghtliner yet but has anyone else called to see what it entails.

It is listed under the campaign # FL912-A.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2022, 08:28 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The valve stem on the inner wheel on some vehicles contact the outer wheel rim. Can cause pressure loss on the inner tire. Less than 1% of vehicles have the problem. You can lookup whether your VIN is involved here: https://dtna-dlrinfo.prd.freightline...tVinLookupPage
Old 01-28-2022, 10:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
The valve stem on the inner wheel on some vehicles contact the outer wheel rim. Can cause pressure loss on the inner tire. Less than 1% of vehicles have the problem. You can lookup whether your VIN is involved here: https://dtna-dlrinfo.prd.freightline...tVinLookupPage
We were told, then the "fix" is done, you can't use a TPMS anymore. I'm not sure why. But that's what we were told by Freightliner. Kind of off in my book. A TPMS will alert us to the leak and other things so thought it was more important.
Old 01-29-2022, 06:30 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyjewell View Post
We were told, then the "fix" is done, you can't use a TPMS anymore. I'm not sure why. But that's what we were told by Freightliner. Kind of off in my book. A TPMS will alert us to the leak and other things so thought it was more important.
You were misinformed
Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 05:00 PM   #5

We had issues with both rear inside duallies before the recall. Both times, we had tire pressure monitor sensors on the rear stems.

The rubber grommet got pushed inside the outer wheel which allowed the valve stem to vibrate against the outer rim and gradually wear down the metal of the stem.

Fortunately, we caught both just before the wear got all the way through the valve stem. I noticed the first one on my own. The second one set off our tire pressure sensor when the stem was rattling against the rim.

We had tire repair shops install longer stems in both instances. The longer stems seem to help keep the grommet from getting pushed in. We have driven about 30K miles since the fixes, and only needed to pull the rubber grommet out from in between the inner and outer rims once. I just try to remember to look for the problem when I am doing my walk around the coach before getting on the road.
joelminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 05:28 PM   #6

I'm getting recalls done now, PDM, fuel rail and passed on the current valve stem recall.

I had the first valve stem recall done, after the first trip I had the same problem, and the Freightliner shop (dealer) replaced the extension again. Freightliner (the company) won't re-do the recall if the local shop screws it up. I did my own fix after I got the second new extension and am good now.

I asked about the new recall, and it is a short extension, about 1 1/2" that isn't long enough to make any contact with the outside wheel and has a self-closing end, not a screw on valve cap, so no threads for a TPMS.

Clemnson was misinformed, kathyjewell was correct.

You can get shorter extensions with threads on the end that will work, but the recall ones from Freightliner with the self closing tip won't work with TPMS.
Old 01-29-2022, 05:49 PM   #7

Valve stem fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post
I'm getting recalls done now, PDM, fuel rail and passed on the current valve stem recall.

I had the first valve stem recall done, after the first trip I had the same problem, and the Freightliner shop (dealer) replaced the extension again. Freightliner (the company) won't re-do the recall if the local shop screws it up. I did my own fix after I got the second new extension and am good now.

I asked about the new recall, and it is a short extension, about 1 1/2" that isn't long enough to make any contact with the outside wheel and has a self-closing end, not a screw on valve cap, so no threads for a TPMS.
After reading what some of you have commented, and by the way, thanks, I will be fixing mine myself. The inner tire has an extension on it that is screwed to the short valve stem. That extension extends thru the outer wheel and goes thru a grommet made to fit the wheel hole. One of mine is centered well but the other side has a bend that has forced the stem against the aluminum wheel. Doing this has caused corrosion between the brass/steel stem and aluminum wheel.

I will put a slight bend on the stem to center it and then the grommet won’t be forced out of position. Included is a picture of the problem wheel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4DC0D758-DA9E-4480-8712-65D74A9D8602.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	233.5 KB
ID:	355001  
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 06:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Road View Post
After reading what some of you have commented, and by the way, thanks, I will be fixing mine myself. The inner tire has an extension on it that is screwed to the short valve stem. That extension extends thru the outer wheel and goes thru a grommet made to fit the wheel hole. One of mine is centered well but the other side has a bend that has forced the stem against the aluminum wheel. Doing this has caused corrosion between the brass/steel stem and aluminum wheel.

I will put a slight bend on the stem to center it and then the grommet won’t be forced out of position. Included is a picture of the problem wheel.
You are correct on what you are doing. I think the original problem was that some of the valve stems came with the wrong bend angle. I went to a Good Year truck tire shop and asked about slightly bending the valve stem to center it. They informed me that they have a small pipe they use to do that very thing when the stems aren't centered correctly.

Even after that, I continued to have problems. My solution was to put a piece of gas line on the extension, behind the rubber gromet, slide the gas line up against the back of the gromet and tighten a small hose clamp to hold the gas line in place.
Old 01-30-2022, 03:50 PM   #9

Before the recall I was having the same issue. The triangle grommet coming out. I had new extensions put on and new grommets ordered. Well 2 years later and had the same problem off and on. I just had new tires installed along with 3 axel alignment. Wouldn’t you know, the drive and tag were out of alignment. Especially the passenger side drive where all the problems were occurring.
PaulTNaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 09:29 AM   #10

Motorhome Valve Stem Stabilizers Recall Notice FL912-A

2018 Winnebago Forza 38F: On a previous service call at dealership, they installed a black plastic wheel insert that the metal not rubber valve stem feeds through and changed all valve stems to metal. The added support of the plastic wheel insert for the valve stem and being a metal valve stem I can run the fill through TPMS . Other wise, the manufactures of TPMS quote a rubber valve stem will only support the type that have to be removed for air fills. The fill through type, (do not have to be removed for air fill) require a metal valve stem.
My tow has rubber valve stems so I have to use that crazy tool to hold the locking nut so I can unscrew the TPMS when I need to adjust the pressure. Crazy pain in butt. Next service on tow I'm going to have black metal valve stems added so I can run the fill through TMPS.
Hope this is of added value to the subject.
RJ139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 07:53 AM   #11

Reply from Freightliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post

Clemnson was misinformed, kathyjewell was correct.

You can get shorter extensions with threads on the end that will work, but the recall ones from Freightliner with the self closing tip won't work with TPMS.

I emailed Frieghliner if TPMS sensors will work with this recall. This is their response. I have not yet done the recall, but plan to.

Yes, this will NOT have a cap which would need to be removed on (example a car) but will have an Alligator valve stem cap , which will allow for a direct screw on with your aftermarket TPMS sensor’s, checking or adding air to the inner tire. If you prefer to skip the recall, which will be documented under your vin number, any issues that arise for the extensions and stabilizers not removed, causing any tire blow out, damage, and or body structure issues will not be covered by Freightliner, Body Builder, or Tire manufacturer.
ben8ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 08:04 AM   #12

We just received the recall. This is like the 3rd pass on this but now they want to remove the parts. Swell.
We use TireMinder and I don't want to give that up. We had them checked at Lazy Days after the first recall, no issue. Subsequent to their checking (and in short order) the rubber grommet failed so I ordered a few. I have replaced the one that failed and have the spares. At every break we take on the road I examine the valve stems. So far so good after pro'ly 7K miles. However I will let freightliner have a peek at them and do the deed.
Hopefully we get new extensions or at least a new lease on support by merely having them review the valves.
Old 02-20-2022, 08:19 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Suggestion!

Install long stainless steel valve stems that protrude through the rubber grommet about 3". This will make it easy to install/remove TPMS, and will help keep the grommet centered in the wheel hole!

Had mine installed by "JoSam" Equipment in Orlando! A great company!

Stronger, better, less issues, & problems!

Good Luck
Jabber Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 09:00 AM   #14

Valve stem stablizer nhtsa recall 21v-514

Looks like a big can of worms affecting almost any rv owner that has these stainless wheel liners. I have used a solution in the past, at 130000 miles over 13 years my solution is still there. As ar as i kow i purchased the right size fuel line hose slide it over then stem , secured it with a wire tie. There are several other remedies i am considering. Untested yet as far as i know. There are rubber stem stabilazers available. One guy is trying out some "edge trim".
I am considering having the holes enlarged. I am not at all happy with the tiffin solutions to "remove the liners and return them to my tiffin dealer and they willl remove the liners and "discard" them and send me $125.00, forever ride linerless!!!! These liners avoid the "worktruck look, even though they are cosmetic ,bare lug nuts are not the look that i spent several thousand dollars for.
Loron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fccc, motor, motorhome, recall, valve