Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2007, 05:52 PM   #1

We took delivery of our new 2007 Allstar 6 weeks ago (March 30, 2007) and we won't be able to use it for another 2 weeks because it has been recalled (parts on order). This seems like an unfair burden for a new customer. The unit was built in Jan 2006 and the recalls went out in April 2006. The dealer had the unit for at least 7 months but we got the recall. We must now suffer the loss of use and the risk of an accident, not to mention the cost and inconvenience of taking the unit to a service center. It sure looks like the manufacturers are waiting for an unsuspecting new customer. Why are the dealers not acting on the recalls before putting the public at risk of a crash? Unaware of the risk we have driven over 200 miles back and forth to the dealer (leaky roof).

2007 Allstar,
jjbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2007, 05:52 PM   #2

We took delivery of our new 2007 Allstar 6 weeks ago (March 30, 2007) and we won't be able to use it for another 2 weeks because it has been recalled (parts on order). This seems like an unfair burden for a new customer. The unit was built in Jan 2006 and the recalls went out in April 2006. The dealer had the unit for at least 7 months but we got the recall. We must now suffer the loss of use and the risk of an accident, not to mention the cost and inconvenience of taking the unit to a service center. It sure looks like the manufacturers are waiting for an unsuspecting new customer. Why are the dealers not acting on the recalls before putting the public at risk of a crash? Unaware of the risk we have driven over 200 miles back and forth to the dealer (leaky roof).

2007 Allstar,
Old 05-14-2007, 06:18 PM   #3

What recall are you talking about?
Old 05-14-2007, 06:27 PM   #4

Dave, Something called a Bussman. It's a black box that sits in the inverter compartment.
It controls the chassis electrical. Everything from ABS brakes to radiator temp transducers.
The recall lists about 20 possible failures and finishes with "may cause a crash"

2007 Allstar,
Old 05-14-2007, 06:42 PM   #5

Oh yes, we saw the recall some time back. If the Bussman(large fuse box) is mounted in the wrong place water can get to it. Ours is mounted properly-so no recall. You might be able to move it to the sidewall as ours is mounted and not have to return to dealer, etc.

Above is a correct mounting(in the battery/inverter compartment)-check yours it may be OK or easily moved.(box in center of picture)
Old 05-15-2007, 03:01 AM   #6

I couldn't agree with jjbsmith more. Even the fan hub issue has not resulted in fixes before the sale. This is bad for the customer, dealer, and Newmar.
soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:23 AM   #7

Hey Dave, This must be a different recall. Spartan gives very few details other than warnings of different failures but I looked up the recall on FMC Magazine's recall corner and they say the recall is for falty solder joints. Besides, if it was only mounting why must a new bussman be ordered to complete the recall. Also this is a Spartan recall not Newmar. Spartan didn't mount the box Newmar did. Thanks for the heads up on the mounting location. I will suggest that the new bussman be mounted off the floor of the compartment.

2007 Allstar,
Old 05-15-2007, 03:28 AM   #8

Do you know the recall number?
Old 05-15-2007, 03:39 AM   #9

Hey Dave, How do you post those nice big pictures in your text? I am new to forums and can't find the instructions.

2007 Allstar,
Old 05-15-2007, 03:46 AM   #10

Dave, I'll look it up after work. I seemed to have misplaced my papers. I hope I didn't leave them with the Spartan service shop.

2007 Allstar,
Old 05-15-2007, 07:03 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The dealer had the unit for at least 7 months but we got the recall. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi! There is no reason why a dealer should not check on recalls and updates before they PDI a coach. When John picked up his MADP from North Trail they would not let him have it till they did the fan upgrade. It would be hard for Spartan to figure out where the chassis are until the customer sends in for warranty. The dealer should check with Spartan and Newmar before they release the coach. It is great that this forum has people like Dave that give quick great answers. Paul
Old 05-15-2007, 08:51 AM   #12

If all Newmar dealers were like North Trail we would not be having this discussion.
soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:26 AM   #13
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by soricobob:
If all Newmar dealers were like North Trail we would not be having this discussion. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Believe me...I LOVE North Trail, but even I left there with two unresolved issues...I was not happy with the resolution of my satellite issue, so I sit here with no SAT until I get to Nappanee...My fridge/freezer worked on dot #1 and froze at every level above that...I didn't get that excited SINCE I was going to Nappanee.

In all fairness, there are other dealers out there that do a good job....There is one dealer that, after being made aware of the fan hub issue by yours truly, called Newmar and told them they would NOT SELL any K2 chassis on their lot until they received the upgrades.
This action resulted in Spartan sending 6 kits and a Spartan engineer to change the fan hubs.

There indeed have been many dealers that have made recall repairs to coaches BEFORE the sale, but as Paul mentioned there is sometimes a communications gap on where these chassis reside.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:01 PM   #14

Me agian, Suppose if there was an accident, who do you think should be at fault? What if the accident occured during a test drive at the dealer? Why is little or no effort made by Spartan to locate the chassis? In this case Spartan had over a year.

2007 Allstar,