RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2017, 06:20 PM   #1

Recent Special Order Experience

We are considering ordering a new 2018 Dutchstar. Just wondering what the typical time is from order placement to delivery. Anyone have recent experience with a special order coach? Nothing really special about ours except we get to pick the options and colors.

Larryrb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2017, 06:46 PM   #2
ARD

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I ordered a 2018 Dutch Star with specials a few days ago and will be able to take delivery mid October; however, one dealer said he could probably get me an August/September delivery. If you are not doing a FPU, you may be able to get it in September.

ARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:31 PM   #3

i met with michelle howard on 5/12 and picked out interior and exterior options. i shopped my specs amongst 5 dealers. i chose the winning dealer on 6/3. i put down a deposit and ordered my 4326 on 6/6. my build sheet went to newmar on 6/8. just got an email tonight from my sales rep with prints from newmar to sign off on for specials in the interior; they are dated as being drawn up 6/12. my sales rep is talking a pick up in early to mid september, best guess, with a small chance of late august. after i sign off on these prints, the next step will be to sign off on the mock up for custom colors i chose. expectation is that newmar will have that to me about a week from now. my dealer had several production spots for 4326's reserved from their orders at the dealer show, and i was told i was allotted one. my trade value is locked in, and the dealer knows i am using my current coach, so they want the delivery to be as soon as possible.

i toyed with the idea of CPU, but i have a trade, so i am taking it to the dealer and doing a conventional pick up, rather than making two trips. i am also on the spartan chassis. i was told by my sales rep that from a delivery standpoint, that did not matter.

i have several specials inside and out, above and beyond the colors and fabrics. for instance, rather than the stock back up cameras only, i am also having the 360 degree camera system and monitor from the mountain aire put in. i am having the king aire bedside nightstands put in, with the integrated charging pads. also two additional 12v outlets in the left dash area. i am having king aire tile and counter tops put in. none of these specials are adding to my delivery time, so i am told.
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:39 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Every Newmar is a "special order". They don t ever build one that hasn't been ordered by a customer or a dealer for stock.
That was the way it was with both our DSDP's.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:54 PM   #5

Please check the '2017 Deliveries' thread. Therein I and others outlined timelines and other details. Mine was a November order with a March delivery.
DrPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:59 PM   #6

Hope all who ordering new coaches take the time to research the advantages of the Spartan chassis. On DS that means disc brakes on drive axle when FL only drum brakes. Thick main and cross member steel along with chassis wiring marked every 3 inches.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:33 AM   #7

Timing is everything, as mentioned above the dealers put there orders in for certain models that they plan on having at there lot, if your timing is good you may be able to have one of those coaches and plug your "specials" onto that coach. We did quite a few specials on our coach ordered Sept 5 and received our coach Dec 15, our timing was not so good!!! take your time, be patient, and enjoy the ride, good luck
Old 06-14-2017, 04:43 PM   #8

UPDATE....received outside color scheme for approval...

the mock up they send you is a joke...not anywhere near the real colors.....

it's really just for layout purposes only....

i approved and sent it back....
Old 06-15-2017, 01:26 PM   #9

Thanks for the information. Appears to be 3 to 4 months for normal delivery based on information here and in the 2017 thread. Don't really need the new MH until January but I don't want to wait too late to order.
Larryrb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:34 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by willipaul View Post
i met with michelle howard on 5/12 and picked out interior and exterior options. i shopped my specs amongst 5 dealers. i chose the winning dealer on 6/3. i put down a deposit and ordered my 4326 on 6/6. my build sheet went to newmar on 6/8. just got an email tonight from my sales rep with prints from newmar to sign off on for specials in the interior; they are dated as being drawn up 6/12. my sales rep is talking a pick up in early to mid september, best guess, with a small chance of late august. after i sign off on these prints, the next step will be to sign off on the mock up for custom colors i chose. expectation is that newmar will have that to me about a week from now. my dealer had several production spots for 4326's reserved from their orders at the dealer show, and i was told i was allotted one. my trade value is locked in, and the dealer knows i am using my current coach, so they want the delivery to be as soon as possible.

i toyed with the idea of CPU, but i have a trade, so i am taking it to the dealer and doing a conventional pick up, rather than making two trips. i am also on the spartan chassis. i was told by my sales rep that from a delivery standpoint, that did not matter.

i have several specials inside and out, above and beyond the colors and fabrics. for instance, rather than the stock back up cameras only, i am also having the 360 degree camera system and monitor from the mountain aire put in. i am having the king aire bedside nightstands put in, with the integrated charging pads. also two additional 12v outlets in the left dash area. i am having king aire tile and counter tops put in. none of these specials are adding to my delivery time, so i am told.

Its easy to get carried away with all the extras... We just put our order in on a 18 DSDP 4369 by the time we were done we had 60k off the sheet and another 19k in extras not on the sheet from Essex flooring, pleather, wall board and fabrics... King aire back splashes and London aire countertops...MSRP 480k for a DS... lol
Sicduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 01:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicduc View Post
Its easy to get carried away with all the extras... We just put our order in on a 18 DSDP 4369 by the time we were done we had 60k off the sheet and another 19k in extras not on the sheet from Essex flooring, pleather, wall board and fabrics... King aire back splashes and London aire countertops...MSRP 480k for a DS... lol
it sure is easy.....
Old 07-02-2017, 07:24 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Getting ready to order 2018 DS 4327

So very interesting reading the posts regarding special orders. I have been told by our dealer that we cannot upgrade any leather selections above those being offered for the DS level. Has anyone else been told this? Should we have met with the factory staff instead of working with the dealer to know what upgrades are possible? We also have been given a production slot in August but would like to delay delivery until early Spring. Is this permitted?

KrisnMike
2018 DS 4327 in the selection stage
KrisnMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisnMike View Post
So very interesting reading the posts regarding special orders. I have been told by our dealer that we cannot upgrade any leather selections above those being offered for the DS level. Has anyone else been told this? Should we have met with the factory staff instead of working with the dealer to know what upgrades are possible? We also have been given a production slot in August but would like to delay delivery until early Spring. Is this permitted?

KrisnMike
Not true; we upgraded to Essex for the LADP and many other folks have too. Talk with CS (Michelle Howard) @ Newmar before you take the word of your dealer.
Old 07-03-2017, 05:47 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisnMike View Post

KrisnMike
We just ordered Essex leather for our DS 4369

Sicduc is offline   Reply With Quote