Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2019, 07:49 AM   #1

Recommendations for Freightliner service in SoCal

I am getting close to scheduling my first service. I found out the service center in San Diego does not take appointments - only first come first served. So you may have to leave your coach at the service center for several days. Are they all that way, or do any in the nearby areas take appointments? I appreciate you comments on quality too!
bluefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2019, 11:20 AM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"bluefin".....My dealer is in Ventura and does the same thing. I try and find what is typically their least busy day, which is usually a Wednesday (caught up with the weekend work). I refuse to leave my coach overnight, so I pack my lunch, reading materials and laptop. I show up at 7:00 am and tell them I'll be in their waiting room. So far, that has worked.

Last year I had a recall that needed to be done. They have a girl that works the service desk that once time told me.....just bring it back tomorrow. I asked what it took for her to drive to work in the morning. She said she hops in her car and it takes her about 15 minutes to get to the facility.

I then explained to her what it takes to get a 40' RV out of storage and to a repair shop. After that, she had a different appreciation for bringing in a coach.

I'm envious when I hear about the service at places like Gaffney, but at my dealer they're bread and butter is truck repair. Motor home owners become second class citizens. This is something that needs to be addressed by Freightliner.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 12:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefin View Post
I am getting close to scheduling my first service. I found out the service center in San Diego does not take appointments - only first come first served. So you may have to leave your coach at the service center for several days. Are they all that way, or do any in the nearby areas take appointments? I appreciate you comments on quality too!
My friend in So Cal takes his coach to Rincon Truck Center in San Clemente. He has been going there for years and thinks they are great. They do take appointments.

Might want to give them a call.
RUFINIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 12:35 PM   #4

To much help for you but the location in Phoenix does take appointments. You show up the night before, plug in, and spend the night. In the morning they come get your rig and you spend the day in their lounge on your laptop.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 12:38 PM   #5

For SoCal Freightliner, I go to TransWest in Colton and for Cummins, the Cummins center in Bloomington. Both take appointments, do great work, are clean, professional, curteous, good communicators and complete the work on time and budget.
Old 08-10-2019, 01:34 PM   #6

Norcal

If you are willing to take a trip north, Sacramento freightliner has a separate RV division in the same complex where they don’t treat you like a second class citizen. Lawrence cowan runs the shop and he is a straight shooter and knows his stuff. They make appointments and he will try to get you in and out same day unless they find something that requires special parts.

Just another option as I have been to a couple of Freightliner places in California where I did not have a good experience.
sheridany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 01:44 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Colton Truck Terminal in Colton.
Redlands Truck and RV in Redlands.

Both actually work by appointments. Redlands also has their own adjacent campground, free for your use when having work done there.

I use a mobile guy for annual service. He works out of Yuma - travels to quartzite and other nearby areas. We usually meet up with him at our dry camping spot near qusrtzite each January.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:28 AM   #8

Great suggestions! I think I would rather travel than leave my rig sitting in a truck lot for several days.
bluefin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freightliner, service