RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2017, 12:47 PM   #1

Recommended tire pressure for canyon star

Looking for some help with tire inflation. Our 14 Canyon Star indicates 110PSI on tires but all are only inflated at 90PSI. What is the best PSI for the Toy Hauler Tires?

Thanks.

Spiderwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2017, 12:54 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderwoman View Post
Looking for some help with tire inflation. Our 14 Canyon Star indicates 110PSI on tires but all are only inflated at 90PSI. What is the best PSI for the Toy Hauler Tires?

Thanks.
The 110 on the tires is the maximum allowable inflation for those tires. The manufacturers recommended tire inflation for your particular unit will be on the GVWR placard fixed to the vehicle. Your owners manual should give some guidance.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:11 PM   #3

Michelin RV Tires | View Michelin RV Tires load and inflation tables for motorhomes and recreational vehicles. | Michelin RV Tires
slojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:55 PM   #4

The tire pressure tag on my 2014 3921 states to run 100 PSI in all tires. I run the rear tires at 95 PSI and the front at 100 PSI. I have a tire pressure monitor to keep an eye on tire pressures at all times. When hot all tires run about 110-115 PSI.
catz66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 03:16 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You need to get your coach weight on scales after you load your coach as evenly for weight distribution as you can.
Fill with fuel, water you need, does not need to be full, than take your wife and self to scales and get weight using the tire table figure out your tire pressures.
After you fill tires to correct inflation you will find a much softer and quieter ride and maybe never have a blow out.
You always fill tires when they are cool, like in early morning.
Your tires while driving will heat up as much as 15 to 20 lbs.
If over inflated you run the risk of a blow out.
For example my 37' KSCA coach front tires 90-95 PSI and rear four at 85 psi, you maybe close if near 37' some people add an extra 5 psi that's up to you I never did.
You will find when you check your tires in the morning the pressures will stay the same for some time, winter months you will see more movement of pressures.
When the coach was parked I always placed a plywood board under the foot print of tires, you can use a large plastic cutting board found at Sam's instead.
You will find your tires will last longer for rear drive tires the front tires will wear and will need replacement sooner, I got many miles of the expensive Michelin tires, Goodyear tires other coach's I had good miles also, if you do not take good care of the tires you will get yourself in trouble eventually.
All the links below in my signature have info for your Newmar.
Enjoy the forums and safe travel.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 03:18 PM   #6

Don’t use the numbers on the tires (ever). Instead, look for a piece of paper glued to your mh, perhaps next to the drivers seat that shows the pressures as determined by Newmar and/or Ford for your unit based on the maximum weights your axles are rated for (GAWR). Then, since you bought a th I’d strongly suggest loading it up with your stuff, gas, water, and toys and go get it weighed. If your actual weights are LESS than your GAWR’s then you can lower the pressures if you think it will improve the ride. If the weights are more than the GAWR’s, start removing stuff.
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 03:22 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Don't worry about "hot" tire pressures. All tire pressure specs are based on the tire being cold when checked. If your pressures are correct when your tires are cold, you are fine.

Unless you have weighed all four corners of your coach when it is fully loaded (including driver and passengers) and then consulted the tire manufacturer's weight/pressure chart, you should ALWAYS run the pressure(s) listed by the coach manufacturer. The coach manufacturer's specified tire pressure(s) are found posted inside the coach; usually near the driver seat. Deviating from that data without knowing your fully-loaded corner weights is asking for trouble.

TJ
Old 10-13-2017, 05:04 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Spiderwoman,
Consider you have purchased a truck not a car. Things operate differently. Follow the above mentioned suggestions. All PFJs (Pilot Flying J) stations have scales. While four corner weights is best, axle weight is better than nothing. One last thing to remember. Motor coaches are like people, the older they get the more they weigh.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:50 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Spartan Chassis
If you are looking for a point of reference, at a recent rally I had my 2017 CS 3710 weighed and after checking the Michelin charts, the recommended cold inflation pressure was 80 psi front and 90 psi rear. Another CS 3710 was weighed at the same rally. Both of our coaches were close to full liquid loading and his recommended tire pressures were the same. As with other posters, recommend following Newmar instructions and Michelin tire charts to weigh your coach and determine the correct tire pressures. Once my tires were inflated properly, handling and ride significantly improved.

Tags
tire pressure